Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather visit mos
Ottawa 13 13.83%
Washington DC 35 37.23%
Mexico City 50 53.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 06:44 PM

3,894 posts, read 2,209,418 times

Advertisements

I based this thread on the capitols of the 3 largest North American countries (Canada, US and Mexico). The contenders are Ottawa, Washington DC and Mexico City. Which of these would you want to visit as a tourist? I pick Mexico City. I've always wanted to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 07:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
Washington DC

Old 06-07-2020, 07:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,132 times
Washington, DC is my pick, with Mexico City very close behind.

I feel a patriotic duty to visit Washington, DC at least once in my life. I can imagine the sense of pride and awe getting to see our nation's most important institutions and buildings. Getting to see the White House, Capitol and all the monuments and museums would be an incredible experience. As well as getting to experience the actual city of Washington. I'd also like to see New Mexico Avenue, even though it isn't that important or grand a street as others like Pennsylvania Avenue.

With Mexico City it would be a visit to the ancient and historic center of the homeland of my ancestors. It would also be a religious pilgrimage to see the Basilica of Guadalupe and the original image of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the site of her apparition. Getting to see places like the Aztec pyramids, the Zocalo, Bellas Artes, Paseo de La Reforma and Chapultepec Park would be awesome as well. Getting to experience the food scene in Mexico City would be excellent!

Old 06-07-2020, 09:38 PM

3,894 posts, read 2,209,418 times
[quote=ABQalex;58323068]Washington, DC is my pick, with Mexico City very close behind.

I feel a patriotic duty to visit Washington, DC at least once in my life. I can imagine the sense of pride and awe getting to see our nation's most important institutions and buildings. Getting to see the White House, Capitol and all the monuments and museums would be an incredible experience. As well as getting to experience the actual city of Washington. I'd also like to see New Mexico Avenue, even though it isn't that important or grand a street as others like Pennsylvania Avenue.

With Mexico City it would be a visit to the ancient and historic center of the homeland of my ancestors. It would also be a religious pilgrimage to see the Basilica of Guadalupe and the original image of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the site of her apparition. Getting to see places like the Aztec pyramids, the Zocalo, Bellas Artes, Paseo de La Reforma and Chapultepec Park would be awesome as well. Getting to experience the food scene in Mexico City would be excellent![/QUOTE]

Same here! Culture, history and food!

Old 06-08-2020, 09:09 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,684,323 times
Using the criteria I've developed for this sort of thing:
1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods: Mexico City, easily
2. Arts/Culture: Mexico City and Washington DC are roughly tied for high culture, IMO, both are Top 10 in the world
3. Attractions/Entertainment: Mexico City, DC does well, but not quite there.
4. Safety/Comfort: Ottawa might feel the safest on a uniform basis. I don't feel too bad in any, though.
5. Traffic/Transit: 3 different answers. Mexico City easily the most expansive transit system, DC the best combination of good transit and not being overly congested in parts, and Ottawa the least trafficky.
6. Location/Day Trips: Washington DC, because NYC is 2 hrs. away, etc. Mexico City is right there behind though, and would be ahead were I not factoring in NYC and the Acela corridor for the traveler.
7. Parks/Scenery: Mexico City, easily
8. Food/Drink: Mexico City, by an absolute landslide.
9. Overall Preference: Mexico City can be an imposing place to visit, particularly to someone who hasn't traveled abroad much. And, Ottawa isn't bad, and DC might be a more important global city and on a certain level due to it's bureaucratic layout, more unique. That said, neither of them offers near as dynamic an experience to the visitor as Mexico City does IMO. There's big city attractions and vibrancy... and then there's Mexico City attractions and vibrancy.

Modcut: Violation of rules for posting images

Last edited by JMT; 06-08-2020 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
I've been to DC and Ottawa so Mexico City is the next logical choice. Definitely looks like the better one on the continent as well honestly.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:50 AM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
It appears you mean the cities, not the buildings. The word "Capitol", with an "o", specifically means a governmental building.

I will change the thread title to "Capital" because I have the power to do so.

To answer your question, since I've been to DC a number of times, and hope to do so again (It's only a four-hour drive) I would next like to visit Ottawa. I've flown in and out of it but did not have enough time to explore the city.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
MC > DC > Ottawa

No brainer if we are talking about walkability, culture, food, things to do for a tourist. MC is just a much larger and more dynamic city with more interesting things to see, especially for a North American tourist (NA = U.S. / Canada).

Old 06-08-2020, 11:55 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Mexico City by a landslide unless there is some specific event, monument or exhibition in DC or Ottawa. Mexico City is massive and often beautiful, teeming with life. Its museums are fantastic and there are many of them.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:33 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Mexico City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City