Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:43 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No one with common sense would look at this sort of metric for only the city of Atlanta, seeing as though it contains less than 10% of the metropolitan area population. The truth is Atlanta's MSA has a lower Black/White segregation index than that of New Orleans according to the 2005-2009 ACS data.
Oh, snap!

Thanks for making my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 04:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Oh, snap!

Thanks for making my day.
He won't respond seeing as though his MO is making hit-and-run posts but facts are facts.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
He won't respond seeing as though his MO is making hit-and-run posts but facts are facts.
Yep, I call them drive-by posts.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:06 AM

994 posts, read 501,782 times
I don't see this having any impact.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:42 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yep, I call them drive-by posts.
What I said in regards to city jurisdictions is fact, and whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Atlanta has been the most segregated, and New Orleans has been the least segregated of them from 1940-present on average, while throughout the entire period, the dissimilarity index in the the city of Atlanta has always been more than 6 points higher than that in the city of New Orleans. If you want to go in the MSA direction, you have the fact that in spite of the proximity to Atlanta, the adjacent counties of Cherokee, Dawson, Forsyth, and Pickens, had together in 1990, a white population of 154,000 and a black population of only 1,900 and nobody in the Atlanta area could see those " Sundown Region " demographics.

Last edited by Aceter; 06-24-2020 at 05:13 AM..

Old 06-24-2020, 07:03 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
What I said in regards to city jurisdictions is fact, and whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Atlanta has been the most segregated, and New Orleans has been the least segregated of them from 1940-present on average, while throughout the entire period, the dissimilarity index in the the city of Atlanta has always been more than 6 points higher than that in the city of New Orleans. If you want to go in the MSA direction, you have the fact that in spite of the proximity to Atlanta, the adjacent counties of Cherokee, Dawson, Forsyth, and Pickens, had together in 1990, a white population of 154,000 and a black population of only 1,900 and nobody in the Atlanta area could see those " Sundown Region " demographics.
Cherokee and Forsyth have grown and diversified drastically since 1990, although they still have a low black percentage by metro Atlanta standards, while having sizable non-black minority populations. Both counties are a lot more affluent and educated and less insular than they used to be. Dawson and Pickens are still very homogeneous but contain only a tiny proportion of metro Atlanta residents.

In a metro area like New Orleans (or St. Louis or Baltimore for that matter) that has had minimal long term growth, segregation statistics from a generation ago may still be a relevant measure of the current dynamics, but that is much less true for greater Atlanta.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:46 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
Atlanta is a relatively small city in square miles and in population. And it's in the center surrounded by 28 counties and 140 cities. Total population of the MSA is estimated to be 6.5 million people.

Every city and every county has their own society dynamics.

When the MSA is so large, it's self sustaining and not likely to crash socially or economically.

This area is the poster child for urban sprawl. I left 17 years ago because of traffic and it was too fast moving for my family.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
In other words, you have to be deceptively selective, either geographically or chronologically, in order for your 'argument' concerning Atlanta to even appear to have a shred of legitimacy. We're practically two decades into the 21st century and your attempts to discredit Atlanta always predictably reside somewhere well into the previous century. It pains me to say this, but I can't help but think that your retrospective ways of perceiving reality are representative of your city as a whole to some degree, which helps to explain the state it's been in for at least the past 50 years.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:50 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
In other words, you have to be deceptively selective, either geographically or chronologically, in order for your 'argument' concerning Atlanta to even appear to have a shred of legitimacy. We're practically two decades into the 21st century and your attempts to discredit Atlanta always predictably reside somewhere well into the previous century. It pains me to say this, but I can't help but think that your retrospective ways of perceiving reality are representative of your city as a whole to some degree, which helps to explain the state it's been in for at least the past 50 years.
Yet, you can't seem to grasp that what was yesterday is tied to what is today. That's probably why today you have an Aryan Brotherhood affiliated group who first emerged in the Atlanta area, like the Ghostface Gangsters, who happen to loom large in the state prisons of Georgia, but nothing of the sorts in neither the N.O. area or the state prisons of Louisiana.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Yet, you can't seem to grasp that what was yesterday is tied to what is today. That's probably why today you have an Aryan Brotherhood affiliated group who first emerged in the Atlanta area, like the Ghostface Gangsters, who happen to loom large in the state prisons of Georgia, but nothing of the sorts in neither the N.O. area or the state prisons of Louisiana.
Your continued pathetic agenda really has become desperate. Metropolitan Atlanta is more populous than 33 States. Unfortunately, with that comes some bad.

At this point, your credibility is shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City