Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 07:19 PM

26 posts, read 23,481 times

Advertisements

Nashville.

There's a reason all the chefs, hotels, and half billion dollar entertainment venues are bum rushing that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:21 PM

26 posts, read 23,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Living close to all 3...KC followed by Memphis. If not into the live music and bar scene Nashville’s offerings are not impressive.
How so, specifically?

Old 06-20-2020, 08:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Stay home dude. Why travel somewhere at this time? Especially a city?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:40 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
I used to often drive from Memphis to Longview, and it's about a 6 hr. drive--not bad. It's just too difficult trying to get to Kansas City. Nashville's 200 miles east of Memphis.

Memphis has great food, and there's quite a few things to see. I always try to eat my way through that city--barbeque. I lived there 18 years, but never got around to visiting Elvis' Graceland. I may do that one day.

My brother says that the Stax Museum on music is well worth going to see. The city had incredible music.

We always enjoyed going to the Peabody Hotel downtown and seeing the ducks parade to the elevator after a day frolicking in the lobby fountain. And the Rendezvous is down the alley out the front door of the hotel.

The Pink Palace Museum is also nice for kids as is their Zoo that's now reopened. Bass Pro Shop's Pyramid location downtown is another sight to see.

Just be careful on where you stay. I prefer to stay "Out East" around Poplar Ave. or out on Bill Morris Parkway (Hwy 385) southeast of the city.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:14 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Stay home dude. Why travel somewhere at this time? Especially a city?
Dude I travel for my job everyday. I have no choice but to. Literally all you have to do is wear a mask(preferably a N95 mask) keep social distancing, don't touch your face, wash your hands, avoid crowds. It's not rocket science at all. And I've been doing that since this whole thing started in a major city at that.

And we've been out of town several times since then using precautions. You act like if you walk outside you automatically catch the virus. It's not airborne, it's primarily transmitted through respiratory droplets.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Memphis is a great place to visit with kids. The zoo is one of the best in the country. The Civil Rights Museum is wonderful. They have a great Children’s Museum for younger children. Go to the Peabody Hotel when the ducks come down on the red carpet, that’s fun, and you can go up to the roof and see the Penthouse where they live.
The food in Memphis is great. I would highly recommend it as a place to visit with kids.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Based upon OP post and criteria, I would think Kansas City would be a better vacation. So much to do with a better collection of attractions.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:40 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times
If you're not into country music or the bar/nightlife scene, Memphis is by far the better vacation destination than Nashville. I haven't been to KC, so I cannot speak to it. However, be aware that everything is fluid right now and I believe Memphis is still in phase 2 of their reopening.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:57 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
Memphis is a hidden gem. It gets a lot of flack because of crime but as a vacation, it’s an awesome place to visit. Haven’t been to KC yet.

Nashville is completely and utterly overrated. If you love country music, it’s probably great. I was not impressed at all. Just a bunch of sprawl, lame bachelorette parties everywhere, and incessant bro culture. I’ve heard people say Nashvegas and I just shake my head.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:01 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Based upon OP post and criteria, I would think Kansas City would be a better vacation. So much to do with a better collection of attractions.
I agree as well. All very different kinds of cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City