Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 06:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You can afford Manhattan with a $120k salary. You won't be living in luxury like other cities, but you can certainly swing a studio or small 1-bed in most areas. Or a very nice 2-bed if you have a roommate.
But if the OP Is complaining about COL in Boston.. Manhattan wouldn't be a better option.

Chicago is so much more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
But if the OP Is complaining about COL in Boston.. Manhattan wouldn't be a better option.

Nevermind, I totally read the thread wrong... I thought they lived in Manhattan.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:04 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Why not give Brooklyn or Queens a look?

Both are a bit less expensive in some neighborhoods, and offer incredible city life with a short trip to Manhattan, depending on which neighborhood you land in.

New York has much less harsh winters than Chicago, but New York is pricier overall. New York is obviously much larger than Chicago as well, and it's a different big city vibe.

In my opinion, New York all the way--but I'm biased since I lived there for 10 years, and I'm moving back in late August.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Forget about COVID (well, don't). It's a simple equation.

$120k salary in Manhattan would get you a shoe box apartment.

$120k salary in Chicago would get you a decent apartment or house and a much lower overall cost of living.

It's a no brainer.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:15 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
120k is middle class in Manhattan I think you could afford Long Island City Queens area and Downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Red Hook in Brooklyn.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:19 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Forget about COVID (well, don't). It's a simple equation.

$120k salary in Manhattan would get you a shoe box apartment.
^Depending on the neighborhood in Manhattan. If someone is looking in tribeca, the financial district or the west village for a 1 bed, that salary won't go far at all, and may not be possible. A small studio will be about it--maybe a 1 bed.

But if someone is looking for a decent sized 1 bed in the east village, or the upper east side, or lower east side, it's definitely doable in Manhattan.

If opening up options to far north Manhattan, someone can get a 1 bed for $1500-$1800 in many areas.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Quote:
Nevermind, I totally read the thread wrong... I thought they lived in Manhattan.
We cannot know for sure...but I think you are right and the implication is they live in NYC and are considering a move to Chicago. The Boston thing was a joke I brought up due to their presumably mistaken spelling of "en masse." But my joke might actually be the reality...weirder things have happened.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Chicago, without a doubt. Not even remotely close.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:46 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times
Seems like such a general question to ask. Most people that can afford Manhattan and/or NYC live there for what it offers. Chicago can't really match that. But in turn you have a better quality of life, relative to your salary, in Chicago because it it has a lower COL.

Just really depends on what you value -- for the future if you think you're not gonna grow income-wise and really want to buy a home, I think the answer is easily Chicago.

NYC is full of opportunities but the COL is always going to be high, especially in Manhattan.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:55 AM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
Quote:
You can afford Manhattan with a $120k salary. Whether its worth it or not is different.
I would say $120K works perfectly fine in Manhattan if you are a single. But if you want to save some money, Williamsburg, LIC, even Astoria are all great alternatives. How long of a commute is that to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan? Around 20 minutes. So you really don’t sacrifice much of your time location wise. With that being said, 120K will go a lot further in Chicago.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 07-15-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City