Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 AM

52 posts, read 331,758 times

Advertisements

I have visited AZ in August and the heat is HOT, HOT , HOT. We were invited by some friends to a park in Glendale, AZ and at 10:00 PM it was still very hot. I have been researching a possible move to SA and have read it gets pretty hot their too, but does it compare to AZ heat?

jjuranko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 08:08 AM
lcw

118 posts, read 670,117 times
In my opinion the SA heat is worse, because in addition to the high temparatures you also have humidity. My experience with Phoenix is that it is more of a dry heat.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM

75 posts, read 362,526 times
I'd rather be in Arizona heat at 110 degrees than in San Antonio in August with 95 degree heat. The humidity is what gets you as we are not too far away from the Gulf of Mexico. The humidity plus the heat is brutual in the summer and fall. It's tolerable in spring and not really an issue during the winter.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:24 AM

260 posts, read 1,146,327 times
Hey Everybody,

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 4 years (in Glendale, precisely, the hottest City in AZ). I will tell you now (having lived in San Antonio for 2 summers) that S.A. is BY FAR nothing compared to the hellish heat of Arizona. San Antonio has nothing on Phx. That 'dry heat' arguement is bogus. S.A. humidity is not real humidity. Go to Florida or Alabama or Louisiana or Houston (real gulf regions) and yeah, humidiy is a factor. S.A. has great weather, feels like Malibu in the Summer time (I grew up in Malibu).

Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,249,186 times
AZ summer weather is like turning your oven up to 110 degrees and sticking your head in it. It's a dry heat, but it's still 110 degrees.

SA can get to 95 and have bad humidity but it will only make it feel 100 (at the most). So 100 vs. 110.

There;s hardly any humidity when the temp hits 100 or more, but even in SA, those days are rare during the summer. But like others have said, our humidity is hardly a blimp compared to other southern cities.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
lcw

118 posts, read 670,117 times
Doc, I absolutely disagree. A couple years ago I was in Phoenix during summer and played golf. It seemed a little warm, but I was definately not uncomfortable. I later found out is was 108 degrees! I guarantee you I have been more uncomfortable and hot in 90 degree weather in SA.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM

217 posts, read 671,438 times
I think it's a matter of HOW you like to feel your heat. In PHX, you are at times overwhelmed by the actual ovenlike HEAT, per se. In SA you are wilted by what often accompanies summer heat (i.e., humidity). THing is, SA heat and humidity lasts for months and months. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you like.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 AM

104 posts, read 522,079 times
Darn! We're hoping to relocate from humid Virginia to the dry heat of Texas, but I'm seeing that's not going to be the case.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 PM

217 posts, read 671,438 times
While it's true that SA is not as bad as Houston for humidity, it is pretty hard core. It's West TX that is more arid.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM

469 posts, read 2,344,174 times
I have to say I can't stand the heat of Vegas (and I'm making a wild assumption that it's similar to Phoenix) even in the a/c it's way too dry for me. My lungs can't stand it and I get nose bleeds. I've lived in Maryland for several years and the humidity there killed me, beautiful land out there but I wouldn't want to do that year after year. While San Antonio is is hot an humid it's not as bad as the east coast, of course nothing like Florida (visited for 4 days and got the hell out) but it's not San Diego either. On that note this past summer in San Diego was very similar to the 100+ degree weather we have out here in San Antonio. It was a fluke summer but they were dying since no one out there (including many work places) had a/c. So if you took So Cal and cranked up the summer heat by about 20 degrees you'd get what we have here in San Antonio. In fact I'd say it's just like the Inland Empire only with out L.A.'s pollutants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City