Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 18,388 times

Advertisements

Any input is greatly appreciated- have the choice between moving to Virginia Beach or Pensacola and stuck. I will work under Department of Navy- The beaches look nicer in Florida, however I see the crime rate is high and worry about the culture as I will be raising my kids. Virginia Beach appears safer, but cold and higher cost of living and taxes. Anyone out there that has possibly been stationed at both places or experience living in either? TY!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
I always felt that Virginia Beach as a city is much more rough than Pensacola which has always felt very well kept and safe. Having said that, I live in the Baton Rouge area and am originally from New Orleans and have also lived in Baltimore. Virginia Beach itself has more crime than Pensacola and attracts more rowdy tourists than Pensacola does. Besides the military, Pensacola Christian College is a major part of Pensacola and it a calming influence on the city. Statewide, Florida's crime stats look high because of cities like Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville and the illegal immigrant crime that occurs there. But violent crime and illegal immigrant are not major problems in Pensacola.

Virginia has higher taxes, including state income tax, and you will have to deal with the liberal politics as the DC suburbs now control Virginia. Many of them hate the military and police as we all know by now.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:42 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
I would go with Pensacola as well. I've had several family members live there and all liked it, and my wife and I did when we visited. My oldest son was in sea school in Virginia Beach when he was in the Marine Corps and we visited him often. We liked the Tidewater area in general a lot. But I definitely prefer Pensacola over Virginia Beach is raising a family. Great beaches, warmer climate, less expensive, and better overall feel.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 PM

553 posts, read 616,323 times
I've lived in Virginia Beach for 8 years. The south end of the Oceanfront (aka the "resort area") attracts the rowdy crowds and tourists in the summer, but there are plenty of other beach areas that are favored by locals. On the Chesapeake Bay, there's Chic's Beach, while on the ocean there's Sandbridge and Croatan. Your ace-in-the-hole (if you want a smaller crowd) is that you're DoN, so you also have access to Dam Neck.

There are a few rougher areas in VB: the parts immediately bordering Norfolk, the area just to the west of the Oceanfront's south end, and (to a lesser extent) the South Independence / Holland Road / South Lynnhaven corridors (Green Run and vicinity). However, the biggest knock on the city is that it's Norfolk's boring, sprawly, suburban (and in some parts, rural!) younger sibling, which, for the most part, it is.

Depending on your budget and how far away from the actual beach you want to live, commuting from the (other) neighboring city of Chesapeake is another popular option.

I can't say much about Pensacola other than being down there on TAD for 10 days in the dead of winter, and it being colder than anywhere in FL had a right to be.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Pensacola is best. It is more independent from Mobile than Virginia Beach is from Norfolk, despite Virginia Beach being the anchor city by population/metro. Pensacola is very southern, but seems to have a more fun culture. The beaches are superior to any beach in Virginia. No state income tax and lower real estate costs as well.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,219 times
I would recommend Pensacola if you value a smaller metro that doesn’t feel dominated by your employer. The beaches are nicer. The fishing and seafood is better. It seemed very safe to me, and very family friendly as well. It had a warm and down to earth “community” feel, with all the amenities a big town masquerading as a small city.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:06 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,040,501 times
I'd choose Pensacola if it were between the two. I was active duty Navy so my experience and impression of the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area wasn't a positive one. Pensacola had more of a laid back vibe, and it felt pretty safe.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:28 PM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
I would certainly recommend visiting and checking both places out. My daughter and her husband live in Pensacola. The downtown area is nice, and the beaches are gorgeous and not as over developed as some nearby areas of Florida and Alabama. But it's not all that big of a place, and to me much of the city has kind of a run down, seedy vibe. Just surfing around Virginia Beach on Google Maps, it looks cleaner and nicer in general. However, Pensacola's beaches are fantastic and could override any of that for many people. Pensacola does have some nice older neighborhoods east of the downtown area and some surprising hills along the bay.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:53 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post

There are a few rougher areas in VB: the parts immediately bordering Norfolk, the area just to the west of the Oceanfront's south end, and (to a lesser extent) the South Independence / Holland Road / South Lynnhaven corridors (Green Run and vicinity). However, the biggest knock on the city is that it's Norfolk's boring, sprawly, suburban (and in some parts, rural!) younger sibling, which, for the most part, it is.
Norfolk is Virginia Beach's sprawly, boring, older siblings, not the other way around. The Beach is the more exciting city of the two...

Green Run is only rough in spots, parts of Green Run are beautiful; the areas along Newtown/Diamond Springs and Atlantis-Seatack/Norfolk Ave/Atlantic Park are about as rough as it gets in VB...

Not sure how VB compares to Pensacola but my guess is if "rough" areas are part of the equation Pensacola has more despite being significantly smaller...

Old 08-10-2020, 10:04 PM

12 posts, read 18,388 times
I'm actually surprised to hear Pensacola regarded as the safer of the 2- when I look up crime stats, Pensacola is listed in America’s 10 Most Dangerous Small Cities while Virginia Beach shows as being safer than 60% of the cities in the United States??? Anyone currently living there that can attest to the stats?

Last edited by juli123; 08-10-2020 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City