Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Austin: future
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Austin 48 39.67%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 07:19 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Larger and more urban cities tend to do better in polls on C-D. And Atlanta ticks both of those boxes.
I always thought hipster/Millennial friendly cities do pretty well on C-D which includes Austin along with Seattle, Portland, SF, Denver, Nashville, Boston, DC, etc. At least in the last two decades. I also remember when Atlanta was always losing badly in the polls and regarded the same as Detroit, Cleveland, or Baltimore; or other unpopular Sunbelt cities like Phoenix or Houston. I remember the mods put a restriction on polls including Atlanta because they were getting pretty brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 08:21 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I always thought hipster/Millennial friendly cities do pretty well on C-D which includes Austin along with Seattle, Portland, SF, Denver, Nashville, Boston, DC, etc. At least in the last two decades. I also remember when Atlanta was always losing badly in the polls and regarded the same as Detroit, Cleveland, or Baltimore; or other unpopular Sunbelt cities like Phoenix or Houston. I remember the mods put a restriction on polls including Atlanta because they were getting pretty brutal.
I've felt Seattle and Portland do well because their natural setting, along with the fact they are both much denser than Austin or Atlanta. The Geography forces them to build denser and prioritize urbanization which is definitely one of the biggest things I've noticed that is heavily favored on CD.

Also Atlanta is currently one of the most sought millenial city currently.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Quote:
I always thought hipster/Millennial friendly cities do pretty well on C-D which includes Austin along with Seattle, Portland, SF, Denver, Nashville, Boston, DC, etc.
If you remove Nashville and Austin, those are some of the densest and most urban cities in the US. Generally I think people tend to favor density, heavy rail, and size, but that's just my thought.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:03 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Larger and more urban cities tend to do better in polls on C-D. And Atlanta ticks both of those boxes.
There are a lot of Atlanta posters here (as you can see in this thread) and the sun belt cities (save Austin) tend to stick together when they're not strangling each other.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
If you remove Nashville and Austin, those are some of the densest and most urban cities in the US. Generally I think people tend to favor density, heavy rail, and size, but that's just my thought.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I've felt Seattle and Portland do well because their natural setting, along with the fact they are both much denser than Austin or Atlanta. The Geography forces them to build denser and prioritize urbanization which is definitely one of the biggest things I've noticed that is heavily favored on CD.

Also Atlanta is currently one of the most sought millenial city currently.
I think the PNW cities do well because they are so unique and different, and super liberal. This board is definitely heavy left.

Quote:
The ultimate sun belt city, Dallas, beat both Portland and LA in a poll.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:13 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Agree

I think the PNW cities do well because they are so unique and different, and super liberal. This board is definitely heavy left.

The ultimate sun belt city, Dallas, beat both Portland and LA in a poll.
I can't help but laugh at the bolded.

At best (and I'm being very kind), I would describe the political makeup of this board as leaning socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

As far as Dallas beating Portland and LA, the question in each instance was which city has the brighter future. That's different from asking which city do you prefer (and Dallas doesn't get much love there). When it comes to questions about what cities people prefer, it's always the extremely polished darlings (Boston, SF, Austin, Seattle and Portland) that get all of the pomp and circumstance.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I can't help but laugh at the bolded.

At best (and I'm being very kind), I would describe the political makeup of this board as leaning socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

As far as Dallas beating Portland and LA, the question in each instance was which city has the brighter future. That's different from asking which city do you prefer (and Dallas doesn't get much love there). When it comes to questions about what cities people prefer, it's always the extremely polished darlings of Boston, SF, Austin, Seattle and Portland that get all of the pomp and circumstance.
This board is liberal as hell. Are there some loud conservatives, yes, but it's very liberal here.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
This board is liberal as hell. Are there some loud conservatives, yes, but it's very liberal here.
Nah. From a demographic standpoint, the board seems to primarily consist of older (near retirement) upper-middle class people and young tech industry workers. So someone like Bernie Sanders gets just as much scorn as someone like Trump around here.

But that's a discussion for another thread. Don't want to derail this one.

Back to the discussion about Austin vs. Atlanta, many people prefer Atlanta not necessarily because it's larger or more urban. Rather, they prefer Atlanta over Austin because demographically and economically, its more diverse.

Austin's a fine place, but to be frank, you're not going to have that great of a time there if you're not a high income tech worker and Caucasian. Someone compared it to the SF Bay area. Sure, Austin and the SF Bay area aren't exactly alike from an aesthetics, political and climate standpoint. However, you'd be hard pressed to find many other parts of the country with a similarly homogeneous culture.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Nah. From a demographic standpoint, the board seems to primarily consist of older (near retirement) upper-middle class people and young tech industry workers. So someone like Bernie Sanders gets just as much scorn as someone like Trump around here.

But that's a discussion for another thread. Don't want to derail this one.

Back to the discussion about Austin vs. Atlanta, many people prefer Atlanta not necessarily because it's larger or more urban. Rather, they prefer Atlanta over Austin because demographically and economically, its more diverse.

Austin's a fine place, but to be frank, you're not going to have that great of a time there if you're not a high income tech worker and Caucasian. Someone compared it to the SF Bay area. Sure, Austin and the SF Bay area aren't exactly alike from an aesthetics, political and climate standpoint. However, you'd be hard pressed to find many other parts of the country with a similarly homogeneous culture.
Austin is barely majority white. It's diverse, just not as diverse as Atlanta.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Austin is barely majority white. It's diverse, just not as diverse as Atlanta.
As of the 2010 census, the city proper was 68% white. Definitely more than "barely."

I will grant you though, has seen a notable increase in its Hispanic population over the past 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City