Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 09:47 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 09:59 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Unless you have to be along the Southeastern CT coast or Rhode Island you are correct. That's what I call the tourista route for all the out of towners who don't travel this part of the country often.

The Hutch to the Merritt all the way up to Hartford and then 84 to 90 to Boston. That's how we locals have been doing it forever. Hope I didn't give away any secrets just now
That works sometimes, but even the Merritt now can be terrible. And CT with their "Friday night in the summer cosntruction" can make it brutal. I often take 684, which based on mileage can be 15 miles longer or so, but avoids the 2-lane Merritt.

The truth is, there's no great way, but everyone can agree that I-95 is the absolute worst. Truckers and tourists who don't know.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
That works sometimes, but even the Merritt now can be terrible. And CT with their "Friday night in the summer cosntruction" can make it brutal. I often take 684, which based on mileage can be 15 miles longer or so, but avoids the 2-lane Merritt.

The truth is, there's no great way, but everyone can agree that I-95 is the absolute worst. Truckers and tourists who don't know.
True. 684 is a solid alternate. And yes you are screwed on the Merritt with the slightest road issue (accident, construction, roadwork) due to the tight 2 lane setup. I guess it's because I almost always make a point of driving to far away CT/Boston from NYC area in the late morning-early afternoon to avoid potential roadblocks like the "Friday night" one you mentioned.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 PM

25 posts, read 22,932 times
I-95

Old 09-27-2020, 01:04 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
I-90 is pretty awesome. (Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Madison, Cleveland, Buffalo, Spokane)?

So is I-5 (Mexico, San Diego, LA, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Canada)

Old 09-27-2020, 01:47 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
70, btw, also originally had a split at its eastern end: 70N went to Baltimore while 70S headed to Washington. But as with all the others save the two 35E/W splits that remain (St. Paul/Minneapolis and Dallas/Fort Worth), one of the two kept the main number and the other was given a new route number. However, 70S was the only one that was renumbered as a three-digit Interstate, and it actually has the wrong first digit (270 isn't a loop route — it's a spur; it should have been 170 in that case. Either way, I'm surprised that the road to Washington got "demoted" below the one to Baltimore, given the attitude of Official Washingtonians).

Another bit of route-numbering trivia dating back to the days of suffixed main Interstates: Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Denver were all located along I-80 too, originally: both the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the connector to Denver from Grand Island, Neb., were numbered 80S in the original scheme. First the Turnpike, and later the Denver connector, were given a new number: the same one, 76, making I-76 the only disjointed Interstate in the country now that the gap in I-95 has been closed. And boy, is it disjointed; about 900 miles separate the western end of the eastern I-76 from the eastern end of the western one.
I'm not sure why Washington got the "demoted" interstate, but if I had to guess, I would say it's because they already got an east-west interstate, namely I-66. So maybe the planners decided that it wouldn't be fair to give Washington two and Baltimore none.

I-84, I-86, I-87, and I-88 are also disjointed, by the way. There are a few others that are temporarily disjointed (such as I-69 and I-74) but are intended to ultimately be connected; but the ones I named (plus I-76) are never intended to be joined.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:48 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I-95 does.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:51 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I-84, I-86, I-87, and I-88 are also disjointed, by the way. There are a few others that are temporarily disjointed (such as I-69 and I-74) but are intended to ultimately be connected; but the ones I named (plus I-76) are never intended to be joined.
Where's the southerly I-87? The only one I know of runs north from New York City (up the Thruway until it turns west at Albany) into Québec.

ISTR the easterly I-86, in Connecticut, got renumbered as I-84 once the interstate that would have connected Hartford and Providence (which would have carried 84's number) got scrubbed.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:20 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
You haven’t lived until you get stuck for hours on 95 on Thanksgiving weekend.
Exactly. I remember coming home from Philly the Wednesday night before, and getting stuck at near-standstill for over 3 hours in Stamford. Normal time for that trip is about 4 hours, and that night it took almost 9.

Having spent my entire life living in the Northeast, I could drive the NEC/NJT section in my sleep. It's really a great trip to drive because of how much is along it, and there's nothing like seeing the skyline beast of NYC come into view as you near it.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Where's the southerly I-87? The only one I know of runs north from New York City (up the Thruway until it turns west at Albany) into Québec.

ISTR the easterly I-86, in Connecticut, got renumbered as I-84 once the interstate that would have connected Hartford and Providence (which would have carried 84's number) got scrubbed.
The southerly I-87 is in Raleigh, NC. Right now, only about 12 miles are open. It's slated to extend eastward to Norfolk. Why it was given an odd number, for north-south interstates, when its alignment is more east-to-west, I don't know.

I-86's western portion runs about 60 miles, from Pocatello, ID west to its junction with I-84. Its eastern portion, over 200 miles in length, is an upgrade of NY 17 and it runs from Erie, PA to Binghamton, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City