Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two cities are the most exciting for tourists?
Chicago 38 33.33%
Washington, DC 76 66.67%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Stop it. One who's been to and spent time in either city extensively would clearly state it's no where close to a curb stomp in that category. As mentioned before, you need to get out more often.
Curb stomp is a bit harsh maybe, but point stands. And I'd recommend the same advice to you. It's a big world out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 12:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
I think DC has more attractions and Chicago has better attractions. Things I think Chicago do better are:

Lake Michigan (boat rides, swimming, jet skiing etc.)
Chicago River (River walk, architecture tour etc)
Beaches
Willis Tower (Skydeck, the ledge)
Hancock building (360 Chicago, TILT, Signature Room)
Mag Mile and Oak St - best shopping experience in either city
Food - best high end dining and local cuisine in either city
Nightlife - Chicago arguably has better nightlife
Wrigley Field / Wrigleyville - especially on a game day
Theater - Chicago has better shows four tourists who are into that
Festivals - Lollapalooza, Jazz Fest, Taste of Chicago etc.draw thousands of tourists each year
Chicago has more of a local culture and while that isnt an attraction in itself, imo it makes a city more interesting.
Other things like the skyline, the L, the Bean, Navy Pier, Maggie Daley ice rink/ribbon, the 606, the worlds largest starbucks etc.

DC has the edge on museums, monuments (huge gap), and government buildings (huge gap). DC's attractions are more unique. Both cities are very picturesque, have great parks, and great neighborhoods in and near the core.

Last year, I went on a trip to Chicago, DC, Philly, and NYC with friends from Minnesota. While we enjoyed all of the cities, a few friends enjoyed DC the least because they aren't into museums. Everyone enjoyed the local food and nightlife, I can't wait to go back next year!
Thank you for this listing/break down of Chicago's tourist offerings.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:30 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Two great cities! Both are in my top 4 favorite overall US cities and favorite US cities to visit.

I would give the slight edge to DC because of how unique the monuments and museums are. There just isn't anywhere else to go to see iconic things like the monuments to the presidents, white house, etc. Plus the breadth of the Smithsonian museums is unparalleled.

That being said, I think Chicago is the more well-rounded destination. Food, nightlife, and pro sports are better in Chicago (though DC is great for an these, just not quite on Chicago's level).

So I'd slightly pick DC, but lots of good arguments for Chicago, it really depends on a person's interests .
This is the answer, and is why I think those that haven't visit either would prefer to go to DC first. But for those that have visited both, would be more likely to continuously go back to Chicago.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is the answer, and is why I think those that haven't visit either would prefer to go to DC first. But for those that have visited both, would be more likely to continuously go back to Chicago.
I agree...once you've seen DC, the monuments and museums, I doubt you'd keep going back.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I agree...once you've seen DC, the monuments and museums, I doubt you'd keep going back.

Yet millions keep doing it. Only someone with a small view of the world thinks DC is just museums and monuments. You gotta get out of the Midwest son.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Yet millions keep doing it. Only someone with a small view of the world thinks DC is just museums and monuments. You gotta get out of the Midwest son.
I'm not a "son", and I've been out of the Midwest plenty. I have many, many friends who travel extensively, and DC is not a place they choose. Just sayin'.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't think anyone would avoid going back to DC multiple times. I mean, I've been to DC a dozen times, and I love it.

But I suspect a majority would prefer going back to Chicago with more frequency, myself included.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not a "son", and I've been out of the Midwest plenty. I have many, many friends who travel extensively, and DC is not a place they choose. Just sayin'.

The way i used the term "Son" is not gender specific. DC may not be your cup of tea. I get that. The east coast is very different from the midwest.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I don't think anyone would avoid going back to DC multiple times. I mean, I've been to DC a dozen times, and I love it.

But I suspect a majority would prefer going back to Chicago with more frequency, myself included.

Your opinion. But carry on.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I have many, many friends who travel extensively, and DC is not a place they choose. Just sayin'.
Why not?

DC is pretty great. Strip away everything else, and DC still offers a picturesque collection of urban neighborhoods with beautiful architecture and color. There's a lot to like. I have many friends who travel to DC, and others who have laid roots there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City