Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two cities are the most exciting for tourists?
Chicago 38 33.33%
Washington, DC 76 66.67%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:48 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
That sounds silly! DC is its own city. Just like Chicago, there are a bunch of neighborhoods to explore that are not museum related. LOL
To be fair to Enean, they live in the Midwest. Shockingly, more people travel to Chicago in the Midwest than they do DC. And in Boston, more people travel to DC than they do to Chicago (that's probabaly close, though).

So, to some degree, we're all subject to our own regional bias. Enean says they have well traveled friends that don't even bring up DC. I'm guessing you have well traveled friends on the East Coast, who don't bring up Chicago. Anecdotal points that really prove nothing, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 03:49 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
33%/66% is a "landslide"?

We've already gone over why C-D polls are flawed. Most people voting probably didn't even read OP's criteria.... which includes neighborhoods, restaurants, festivals, and more.... where Chicago dominates.
No kidding.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:53 PM

Here is a list (same source) of top tourist attractions in each city:

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...umbia-usdc.htm

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...-us-il-chi.htm

No surprises here.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
In my view as a Midwesterner, Chicago/Chicagoland is also very different than the Midwest. I actually think that Chicago would pair nicely in the Northeast (characteristically). Specifically thinking about New York, Philadelphia, and Boston. Thinking about the sports culture. Lots of high-rises Lots of Polish, Irish, and Italian-Catholics. And a huge Chinatown. Large Latino population (although substitute Mexicans with Puerto Ricans- although Chicago has a sizable Puerto Rican population. Another big difference is the African American population in Chicago is more southern-influenced. In the Midwest, Chicago is our anchor city, similar to Boston being New England's.

Despite some of these differences, I've always thought Chicago has a lot in common with the NE big cities when I've visited them all.
Absolutely, Chicago is not like any other Midwest city...closest to Milwaukee, probably.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
DC is winning this poll by a landslide..only people keeping the argument alive are Chicagoans who somehow think they need to defend their city's honor on this. It's really got nothing to do with that though..Chicago might well be the better city..but it's not the capital of the United States..and therefore it doesn't have the same type or level of tourist attractions.
That's because there's simply more notable tourist attractions in America's capital city than there is Chicago. I don't understand how many pages of a thread is needed to debate that. DC is also a smaller city that receives more international tourism than Chicago. All this talk about "lists" and internet links when no one has come up with anything specific to prove otherwise.

This "list" while not totally about tourism per se, is from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and rates America's favorite architecture and notable attractions in the country. DC has 6 in the top ten and even more in the top 30. Chicago's first notable structure or attraction is Wrigley Field at 31.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

There's no comparison.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's because there's simply more notable tourist attractions in America's capital city than there is Chicago. I don't understand how many pages of a thread is needed to debate that. DC is also a smaller city that receives more international tourism than Chicago. All this talk about "lists" and internet links when no one has come up with anything specific to prove otherwise.

This "list" while not totally about tourism per se, is from the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and rates America's favorite architecture and notable attractions in the country. DC has 6 in the top ten and even more in the top 30. Chicago's first notable structure or attraction is Wrigley Field at 31.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

There's no comparison.
Yes, DC is known for its beautiful architecture, and one of the best skylines in the world...we all know that. "Attractions" are different..... One doesn't go to Chicago to look at a handful of buildings, one goes to Chicago to take in the entirety of one of the best skylines in the world, not buildings that are "attractions." You go to immerse yourself in the beauty, and feel a part of it...not to wait in line for your turn.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, DC is known for its beautiful architecture, and one of the best skylines in the world...we all know that. "Attractions" are different..... One doesn't go to Chicago to look at a handful of buildings, one goes to Chicago to take in the entirety of one of the best skylines in the world, not buildings that are "attractions." You go to immerse yourself in the beauty, and feel a part of it...not to wait in line for your turn.
You guys continue to make this discussion seem as if it's either/or. A city can draw people for both reasons. This is part of what makes DC so unique overall because you can have both experiences. It's what makes DC a world class city in America. People DO come to DC and not go to the National Mall and museums. I understand that's inconceivable to many of you Chicago posters, but trust me it happens. People DO travel to DC for night life, events, festivals, sports etc. etc. just like in the Windy City, it's a misnomer to believe this is unique to just Chicago.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You guys continue to make this discussion seem as if it's either/or. A city can draw people for both reasons. This is part of what makes DC so unique overall because you can have both experiences. People DO come to DC and not go to the National Mall and museums. I understand that's inconceivable to many of you Chicago posters, but trust me it happens. People DO travel to DC for night life, events, festivals, sports etc. etc. just like in the Windy City, it's a misnomer to believe this is unique to just Chicago.
No, but it's better in Chicago. It just is. Sorry you can't accept that. DC is better for standing in lines and visiting monuments. Chicago is better for the experience. I can't argue anymore with someone who is blind to that. Over and out.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No, but it's better in Chicago. It just is. Sorry you can't accept that. DC is better for standing in lines and visiting monuments. Chicago is better for the experience. I can't argue anymore with someone who is blind to that.
Right but what balances the two cities out is that the primary tourist attractions both cities there's a large gap from DC to Chicago. The Smithsonian is the largest museum complex in the world, and that's not even close to all the museums in DC. Nor does it include all the other monuments or historical buildings. So even if Chicago's neighborhoods were twice as good to a visitor, DC's museums and iconic structures (no knock on Chicago) blow most American cities out of the water. Again the thread is about what tourist attractions are in each city. If the top tourist attraction on that architecture list I posted is baseball stadium, it should tell you about the gap between the two.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:09 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
No, but it's better in Chicago. It just is. Sorry you can't accept that. DC is better for standing in lines and visiting monuments. Chicago is better for the experience. I can't argue anymore with someone who is blind to that. Over and out.
Dc is a legitimately great city..if you don’t think that you should go back and do zero touristy things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City