Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two cities are the most exciting for tourists?
Chicago 38 33.33%
Washington, DC 76 66.67%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2020, 06:47 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of things I can understand people preferring about Chicago, but as a tourist destination, DC is far and away better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 07:14 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,044 times
I picked D.C. for a tourist visitor. Just more touristy things.
Chicago has more things for a person who wants to live there.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:30 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
DC for tourist stuff although Chicago has a lot too. In terms of living there past the touristy stuff, Chicago.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:56 AM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Dc political attractions are enormous and draw from all over the world...Chicago’s attractions that are even remotely comparable are related to architecture (river tour, mag mile etc). Dc has Parks and I’d argue the mall is a larger attraction than millennium and Lincoln Park combined. Navy pier and the bean represent “diverse” attractions? These are easily the worst two tourist attractions in either city
DC's attractions really don't draw from "all over the world." Plenty of other cities in the US get far more international travelers.

If I were thinking about a domestic traveler, I'd say DC but for someone from, say, Romania or Brazil or Taiwan, a lot of the tourist attractions in DC will totally fall flat. Nobody from one of those countries will care whatsoever about the Lincoln Memorial or the Vietnam Vets Memorial. Chicago would offer a lot more universally-appreciated things (food, sports, the lakefront, architecture, etc.).

Last edited by kimumingyu; 10-05-2020 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 09:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Recreation (Parks, sports, etc.): Chicago
Festivals: DC
History: DC
Dining/food: Chicago
Ethnic neighborhoods: Chicago
Buildings/Architecture: Chicago
Shopping districts: Chicago
Museums: DC
Entertainment: Chicago
Walking/guided tours: DC
Overall: Going by your criteria, thats 6 to 4 in favor of Chicago. Off topic, I'd still rather live in DC than Chicago just because I can't see myself living in the Midwest.
This is very fair, and I agree with all of this except for "festivals." Chicago wins this, hands down IMO. I can't think of a city that has more unique, interesting festivals than Chicago. Every neighborhood, organization, cultural group, etc. in Chicago has a summer festival. There is really nothing like it. Festivals are part of the city's cultural identity, as people get through the cold winter and look forward to the hundreds of different summer festivals.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 AM

I can see the argument for both. I think if we are talking one time visits for a tourist, the uniqueness of DC could win out because there is really no other city like it in the US. However, for the full breath of different things to do, I would give it to Chicago. Millennium/Grant Park (the Bean), Michigan Ave, Lincoln Park, Lake Michigan, Chicago River, the architectural tours along the river/lake, Sears Tower (and view), Hancock Tower, West Loop (and all the Top-Chef restaurants), various number of unique/ethnic neighborhoods, etc.

Last edited by personone; 10-05-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
DC's attractions really don't draw from "all over the world." Plenty of other cities in the US get far more international travelers.

If I were thinking about a domestic traveler, I'd say DC but for someone from, say, Romania or Brazil or Taiwan, a lot of the tourist attractions in DC will totally fall flat. Nobody from one of those countries will care whatsoever about the Lincoln Memorial or the Vietnam Vets Memorial. Chicago would offer a lot more universally-appreciated things (food, sports, the lakefront, architecture, etc.).
Mehh. Misleading.

For international tourism, out of the US cities that most define as "classically urban," and is an actual destination to walk around the downtown core, use public transit, etc. etc. DC only really comes behind NYC and SF, or LA if you want to count it. Vegas, Honolulu, Orlando etc, certainly are a "different case" in terms of how people go see the attractions in those cities.

Chicago wins on food, but there is not a single sport or sporting events that Chicago provides that DC doesn't on any level, outside of having a second baseball team, so that's a wash. Architecture is pretty subjective as both cities have their own signatures there.

The 10 Most Visited Cities in the US by Foreign Travelers:

1. New York
2. Miami
3. Los Angeles
4. Orlando
5. San Francisco
6. Las Vegas
7. Honolulu
8. Washington D.C.
9. Chicago
10. Boston

https://www.escapehere.com/destinati...ign-travelers/

The White House alone is one of the more visited/ recognized/ unique attractions in North America. Overall I'd say these two cities are about the same tier, but would slot DC ahead due to having a bit more unique attractions that no where else on the continent provides.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-05-2020 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 10:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Quote:
Dc political attractions are enormous and draw from all over the world...Chicago’s attractions that are even remotely comparable are related to architecture (river tour, mag mile etc).

Dc has Parks and I’d argue the mall is a larger attraction than millennium and Lincoln Park combined.
Navy pier and the bean represent “diverse” attractions? These are easily the worst two tourist attractions in either city
I am not gonna argue as to lessen National Pride attractions is not where to take it. Just noting that to say that Chicago has its front lawn trinity of parks downtown;
- Millennium Park Chicago
- Maggie Daley Park next door connected by a curving bridgeway that is unique with Maggie Daley Park the newest addition for Children and a Skating circle that turns into ice skating in winter).
- Grant Park next to both the others for a trinity of parks downtown with the famous Buckingham Fountain (many see it as the Married with Children intro fountain)

Using passive electronic sensors, a third party vendor estimates that approximately 12.9 million people wandered the park in the SECOND half of 2016 -- a massive jump from previous estimates, which suggested around 5 million annual visitors. The new attendance-counting technology is similar to methods used at other major events around the globe, and the updated visitor numbers put Millennium Park right up there with New York's Central Park and the National Mall in Washington, D.C. in the TOP 10 in the Nation.

https://urbanmatter.com/chicago/mill...rk-attraction/

Only built since 2004 MILLENNIUM PARK ALONE has --- Cloud Gate (The Bean), Crown Fountain, (turns into ice skating in winter) the Jay Pritzker Pavilion with Free concerts all summer+festivals, and the Lurie Garden. Also one generally wanders over to Maggie Daley Park next door the newer addition and Grand-daddy Grant Park with its huge festivals though summer.

So the comment needing both Millennium + Lincoln Park - ARE NEEDED TO MATCH A DC PARK ARE BASICALLY FALSE ..... and not even realize.
Millennium is + two other Parks for tourist counts also.

Lincoln Park you mention -- has the city's most popular beach and one of the Nation's FREE ZOO'S ... one of the last in the Nation that draws tourist just north of downtown for a count ..... is a STRETCH FOR WHATEVER YOU WOULD ARGUE ABOUT that Millennium Park needs to match DC's.

*** NO ONE ARGUES THE BEAN ETC. IS MORE NATIONALLY SIGNIFICANT OVER DC MONUMENTS ETC OR STATUE OF LIBERTY ETC. STILL BY VISITOR COUNTS IT IS UP THERE .....

AS FOR NAVY PIER still draws millions of TOURIST and ITS FREE. Plenty to see just skyline, lake tours, Ferris wheel views. Tons of concessions and beer drinking is allowed museums and Green House with Tropical Palm trees.

To me it is NOT -- a tourist trap BECAUSE IT IS -- FREE TO JUST WALK inside and outside if one chooses to spend no money.
If you PAY and NOT HAPPY .... THAT CAN BE A TOURIST TRAP.

In 2017 TripAdvisor had so many excellent reviews come in for Chicago's Architectural River Tours .... that it gave it its 5-star - Top billing of Best in the Nation that year over our National Parks and none for DC were in its Top 10 which may be surprising in their list.
TripAdvisor by tourist reviews it freely is given. Still has this River Tour with a vast majority a 5-star rating enough to give it the 5 stars. I myself feel one should include the Lake tour also or split them and take two if you prefer.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/6/16...t-popular-tour

Chicago definitely performs well in Music venues;
Better being subjective and vs the Nation's Capital with National Monument and National Free Museums. DC is not noted for music festivals.

Chicago's Lollapolooza Music Festival is rate #11 in the world by attendance in this link. Receiving 430,000 over just 4 days. Milwaukee's Summerfest is #3 and #1 in the US with 770,000 attendees.... but that is over 11 days period New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival beat Chicago for #10 in attendees, but over 7 days period. No DC music festival on the list.

https://www.statista.com/chart/17757...sic-festivals/

Chicago Blues Festival is the largest - free - blues festival in the world and remains the largest of Chicago’s music festivals. During 3 days on five stages, more than 500,000 attend.

https://www.choosechicago.com/articl...orld.%E2%80%9D

A list of Chicago music festivals with downtown top billing ones and some neighborhood ones.

https://www.choosechicago.com/articl...orld.%E2%80%9D

Probably in part why Chicago still is performing well in the poll with PARKS and FESTIVALS. Sadly, none of these fest occurred this year, so all stats are previous years and makes one wonder if everything will return as it was in the future....

Drone Flyover like 3 years ago .... better times over Millennium
and Maggie Daley Parks downtown Chicago. Does not even show
Grant Park behind the drone that is larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo-51_Rvxe0

More current Millennium Park CROWDS For a mild NEW YEARS DAY 2020.
Entrance packed by the official Christmas tree and then goes to the BEAN and crowds.
Also the front fountain are turned into a ice skating rink in winter. First closed then open after ice smoothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDn_PB6vyoA

DC IS IN A CLASS OF NATIONAL LANDMARKS but does not make Chicago's or other cities .... any less attractive to tourist and Chicago has its main museums also downtown which are renown also especially its Art Institute.
MILLENNIUM PARK AND MAGGIE DALEY PARK ALSO ARE PARKS OVER RAIL YARD AND PARKING DECK FOR OVER 4000 vehicles in its garage that was rebuilt .....

Last edited by NoHyping; 10-05-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Dc political attractions are enormous and draw from all over the world...Chicago’s attractions that are even remotely comparable are related to architecture (river tour, mag mile etc). Dc has Parks and I’d argue the mall is a larger attraction than millennium and Lincoln Park combined. Navy pier and the bean represent “diverse” attractions? These are easily the worst two tourist attractions in either city
I agree with you about Navy Pier, and I wouldn't call the Bean a "diverse" attraction, but it is a simple tourist attraction that has become very identifiable with Chicago. It is just a simple, fun attraction that almost all tourists visit. It's not on par with visiting a museum or anything. But it has become a classic Chicago tourist attraction. I have never liked Navy Pier. The views are great, but the Pier itself screams "tourist trap."

Old 10-05-2020, 11:26 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
As a domestic tourist I would say Chicago and as an international tourist DC hands-down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City