Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Nyc

Chicago

San Francisco
Boston
Philly
LA

DC
Miami
Seattle

The more I look at it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 09:57 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
To the people asking what data is the chart based on, I believe it is based on 2010 MSA census tract data so yes, it is outdated. I would imagine a city like Seattle would show to be a lot denser with using updated data.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
List the top 10 most urban 50 square miles in order.

IMO:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. SF
5. LA
6. DC
7. Boston
8. Baltimore
9. Miami
10. Denver
Not a bad list. You would have a great list if you put Seattle at number 8 causing everyone below 8 to slide down a slot and also if you swap Boston and LA.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:40 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times

A simple density calculation like the map above still reflects much better the actual reality on the ground than the awful data manipulation going on in this entire thread.

Imagine a donut without a hole, now you take out the hole (i.e., now you have a body of water), does the remaining donut change in consistency or quality because of the hole? This whole contiguous density thing is utter nonsense. By the logic of Boston Shudra (using 4 mi radius including water) and others on the thread, somehow a point in the donut without the hole must be a more urban experience than a point in a donut with the hole. It's nonsense.

Last edited by Guineas; 10-08-2020 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-08-2020, 11:06 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
A simple density calculation like the map above still reflects much better the actual reality on the ground than the awful data manipulation going on in this entire thread.

Imagine a donut without a hole, now you take out the hole (i.e., now you have a body of water), does the remaining donut change in consistency or quality because of the hole? This whole contiguous density thing is utter nonsense. By the logic of Boston Shudra (using 4 mi radius) and others on the thread, somehow a point in the donut without the hole must be a more urban experience than a point in a donut with the hole. It's nonsense.
And yet your map of city density has Seattle at 8...basically where it was with Boston shudras tool after club adultman found the optimal zip code...also if we go city density’s Boston jumps Chicago which I’m not sure will be popular for purposes of this thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
The State of Washington's estimate for 4/1/20 has the City of Seattle around 9,071/sm, assuming 83.9 sm.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:20 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
And yet your map of city density has Seattle at 8...basically where it was with Boston shudras tool after club adultman found the optimal zip code...also if we go city density’s Boston jumps Chicago which I’m not sure will be popular for purposes of this thread
Having lived in both Chicago and Boston for years, I agree Boston is denser. It is a more walkable city than Chicago.

I also agree Seattle should be about 8 on the list. I disagree with the rankings that have Denver higher than Seattle. That is just horsesht.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:12 AM

955 posts, read 612,554 times
Quote:
Your map and way of approaching this is not what OP had asked. Analyzing data to find the most dense/urban contiguous 50 sq miles is exactly what OP asked for.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:13 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Your map and way of approaching this is not what OP had asked. Analyzing data to find the most dense/urban contiguous 50 sq miles is exactly what OP asked for.
True, but chances are that if you took the densest 50 square miles of each of those cities, their rank order would be about the same as on that map based on citywide density. The density gradients don't vary so much among them as to give a less-dense city overall a significantly more dense 50-square-mile core.

And, of course, for San Francisco, the citywide density figure is the 50-square-mile density figure.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:

Imagine a donut without a hole, now you take out the hole (i.e., now you have a body of water), does the remaining donut change in consistency or quality because of the hole? This whole contiguous density thing is utter nonsense. By the logic of Boston Shudra (using 4 mi radius including water) and others on the thread, somehow a point in the donut without the hole must be a more urban experience than a point in a donut with the hole. It's nonsense.
And here's the problem with that map. The two largest metros in the Southeast, Miami and Atlanta, aren't even shown because their core city is below 500,000. Atlanta recently passed 500,000, so it will show up in the future, but Miami has more work to do because it's so small in land area. So, what you have represented here in the Southeast (like many others here on C-D, I don't consider DC or TX as Southeast) is 5 Southeastern cities with bloated land areas and low densities (Jacksonville, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis and Charlotte), none of which have metro areas even half the size of Miami and Atlanta. All of these five cities also have land areas over 300 square miles today with Jacksonville being the largest at over 700 square miles and Charlotte the smallest at just over 300. Charlotte, the densest among the group, is still in the bottom of the density categories indicated on the map.
Miami today is sitting around 13,000 ppl/m2 and will need to reach 13,889 to pass 500,000. If shown here, it would be the 4th most dense behind NYC, SF, & Boston.
While I understand that Miami's municipal density metric is elevated due to its small footprint compared to a city like Philly, Its density is not without merit when you look at other metrics in the area. Miami's county houses over 2.7 million people in less than 500 square miles of developable land, and the urban area density is only surpassed on the East Coast by NY. Nationwide, its urban area density is only surpassed by LA, The Bay Area and NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City