Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2022, 11:32 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg77 View Post
Just by looking at a map, I could see the most urban area’s being in the NorthEast by far”

But if it was going by a different metric, Than California is easily the most urbanized state in the country followed by New Jersey.

It’s different ways to look at urbanization today.
Not sure what you mean for either point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 05:52 PM

254 posts, read 113,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is an interesting question because 50 square miles of urban is a lot of urban. Manhattan isn't even half of that land area. Also, places like San Francisco aren't completely urban (though no doubt there's people who think that it is). Here are some examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7239...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7478...7i16384!8i8192

Density alone can't be the metric for this conversation either because a nice density metric can be had with the sort of tightly packed suburbia one sees in California and other metro areas where they are constricted by geography, water supply, or both.

For me, I'd have to do a lot of analysis to go beyond the obvious first few of NYC, Chicago, Philly & SF.
Brooklyn 72 square miles. Population density of 36,732 people per square mile. Plus I can literally walk the entire area of brooklyn with no interruptions.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:05 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I have been looking at the racial breakdowns of these. It's interesting cause it's controlled for land area in the densest spot in these cities.

NY :
Asian- 14%
Black - 17%
Hispanic - 22%
White Alone- 44%

LA :
Asian: 16%
Black: 12%
Hispanic: 53%
White Alone: 16%

Chicago :
Asian: 10%
Black: 20%
Hispanic: 29%
White Alone: 38%

Boston :
Asian: 13%
Black: 15%
Hispanic: 15%
White Alone: 52%

Philadelphia :
Asian: 9
Black: 30
Hispanic: 21
White Alone: 37

DC :
Asian: 7%
Black: 28%
Hispanic: 13%
White Alone: 49%

Houston :
Asian: 11%
Black: 23%
Hispanic: 48%
White Alone: 17%

Miami :
Asian: 1.4%
Hispanic: 71%
White Alone: 15%

Baltimore :
Asian: 3.4%
Black: 59%
Hispanic: 6%
White Alone: 37%

Seattle :
Asian: 15%
Black: 5%
White Alone: 70%

NY, Houston and DC were as expected but I'm surprised than Philly and Chicago seems the best balanced.
Baltimore tracks.

I mean.. it all tracks but Baltimore definitely.

Boston is essentially the demographics of the South End neighborhood- tracks.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:30 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
It'd be nice to have some funds to rehab buildings and resettle some refugees in some of the more abandoned urban neighborhoods.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:49 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
I have been looking at the racial breakdowns of these. It's interesting cause it's controlled for land area in the densest spot in these cities.

NY :
Asian- 14%
Black - 17%
Hispanic - 22%
White Alone- 44%

LA :
Asian: 16%
Hispanic: 53%
White Alone: 16%

Chicago :
Asian: 10%
Black: 20%
Hispanic: 29%
White Alone: 38%

Boston :
Asian: 13%
Black: 15%
Hispanic: 15%
White Alone: 52%

Philadelphia :
Asian: 9
Black: 30
Hispanic: 21
White Alone: 37

DC :
Asian: 7%
Black: 28%
Hispanic: 13%
White Alone: 49%

Houston :
Asian: 11%
Black: 23%
Hispanic: 48%
White Alone: 17%

Miami :
Asian: 1.4%
Hispanic: 71%
White Alone: 15%

Baltimore :
Asian: 3.4%
Black: 59%
White Alone: 37%

Seattle :

NY, Houston and DC were as expected but I'm surprised than Philly and Chicago seems the best balanced.
these statistics are muck becuz hispanic is not a race and is not boolean-exclusive to new-world native, polynesian, asian, caucasian, black:
Attached Thumbnails
Top 10 most urban contiguous 50 sq miles-screenshot_20230105_074233_wireless-emergency-alerts.jpg  

Old 01-05-2023, 08:10 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
these statistics are muck becuz hispanic is not a race and is not boolean-exclusive to new-world native, polynesian, asian, caucasian, black:
Everyone knows Hispanic isn't a race, but the statistics aren't "muck" "becuz" in the US, the vast majority of Hispanics identify first as their Ethnicity (Hispanic), which is treated similar to "Race" categories.

Which is why it's often described as "Race/Ethnicity" to recognize that Hispanic isn't a race, but at the same time realize that they identify as a group in the same way other "races" do in the US.

Additional, many Hispanics in the US are Mestizo which doesn't fit well with any of the "race" categories, so Hispanic, while an ethnicity, can also be used as a category similar to race in comparisons.

Without getting into the nuances, you understand how it's being used, so the statistics aren't "muck."

Old 01-05-2023, 08:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Everyone knows Hispanic isn't a race, but the statistics aren't "muck" "becuz" in the US, the vast majority of Hispanics identify first as their Ethnicity (Hispanic), which is treated similar to "Race" categories.

Which is why it's often described as "Race/Ethnicity" to recognize that Hispanic isn't a race, but at the same time realize that they identify as a group in the same way other "races" do in the US.

Additional, many Hispanics in the US are Mestizo which doesn't fit well with any of the "race" categories, so Hispanic, while an ethnicity, can also be used as a category similar to race in comparisons.

Without getting into the nuances, you understand how it's being used, so the statistics aren't "muck."
I don’t agree with your position but I’m not one to tell other posters that their opinions are wrong because they have an opinion different than my own. The post claims to list races and removes Hispanics that have self-identified as white from the white total. That seems wrong to me.

What it comes down to is the entire idea of “race” is flawed.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:01 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I don’t agree with your position but I’m not one to tell other posters that their opinions are wrong because they have an opinion different than my own. The post claims to list races and removes Hispanics that have self-identified as white from the white total. That seems wrong to me.

The vast majority of Hispanics are mixed race, even most of the ones that identify as white.

At most; 10% of Hispanics in this country are really white. That’s 90% that aren’t. And I’m one who is pretty flexible on what I consider white.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:22 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:

Seattle :
This is because the radius around zip code 98103 completely misses the areas of South Seattle that has far more Black, Hispanic, and Asian people. It's a bad area code to use for density and especially for diversity.

As an example, this map shows concentration of Black people by Census Tract in 2020. Notice how virtually all of the high concentrations of Black people are in the Southeast portion of the city. Same with Hispanic. 98103 is just North of the ship canal in the Whitest part of the city.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:26 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

The post doesn't remove Hispanics from white, the Hispanics do that themselves. There is a selection for white non- Hispanic on just about every questionnaire so don't make it seem like I doctored the data. The data is 100% raw data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City