Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2023, 10:14 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
This is because the radius around zip code 98103 completely misses the areas of South Seattle that has far more Black, Hispanic, and Asian people. It's a bad area code to use for density and especially for diversity.
What zip code would you use instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 04:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
10 most urban contiguous 50 square miles of land that are non-overlapping with others

1. Manhattan with the Bronx save for Fieldston area in the Northwest and the easternmost sections (basically, non-subway served sections)

2. Brooklyn excluding the southeastern section of Brooklyn that are more wetlands, and SFH neighborhoods away from the subway

3. Queens excluding of the non-Flushing part of Northeastern Queens (not suburban) and the Rockaways (not contiguous)

4. Chicago with the Loop and adjacent neighborhoods and then going south a little, west some and north a lot

5. San Francisco as a city with a bit of Daly City

6. Bergen Neck peninsula in New Jersey with is basically Hudson County east of the Hackensack and south of I-95 in the north excluding Secaucus

7. Philadelphia core

8. Boston downtown core into densest parts of Cambridge and Somerville

9. Most of Central Los Angeles with a bit of South Side

10 is a hard one. I want to say DC, but 50 square contiguous miles is a lot and I'd almost put a split on the western fringe of Central LA that's not super well-defined combined with the Westside as a more thoroughly urban expanse, but with less extended peak urban areas

Old 01-06-2023, 06:14 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
10 most urban contiguous 50 square miles of land that are non-overlapping with others

1. Manhattan with the Bronx save for Fieldston area in the Northwest and the easternmost sections (basically, non-subway served sections)

2. Brooklyn excluding the southeastern section of Brooklyn that are more wetlands, and SFH neighborhoods away from the subway

3. Queens excluding of the non-Flushing part of Northeastern Queens (not suburban) and the Rockaways (not contiguous)

4. Chicago with the Loop and adjacent neighborhoods and then going south a little, west some and north a lot

5. San Francisco as a city with a bit of Daly City

6. Bergen Neck peninsula in New Jersey with is basically Hudson County east of the Hackensack and south of I-95 in the north excluding Secaucus

7. Philadelphia core

8. Boston downtown core into densest parts of Cambridge and Somerville

9. Most of Central Los Angeles with a bit of South Side

10 is a hard one. I want to say DC, but 50 square contiguous miles is a lot and I'd almost put a split on the western fringe of Central LA that's not super well-defined combined with the Westside as a more thoroughly urban expanse, but with less extended peak urban areas
Can anyone tell me why people on CD always forget Chelsea MA? The densest municipality in New England?

Do people just not know it exists? Directly north of and adjacent to Boston..?

Old 01-06-2023, 07:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
The core 50 miles of Philadelphia was built before the car and is consistently very urban with no gaps beyond a block or two:

https://i.imgur.com/2uthyB9.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/fLH6Gpm.jpg

Quote:
I don't agree

Old 01-06-2023, 07:44 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I don't agree
Same. Understood that North Jersey has some very high peak densities, but I'm also skeptical that its consistency exceeds Philadelphia's core. Too many highways and water inlets for that to be true, for one.

I'd put it below Boston, as well.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:49 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Can anyone tell me why people on CD always forget Chelsea MA? The densest municipality in New England?

I didn't know that it existed. It's only 2 square miles. Where would it rank on this list?

Old 01-06-2023, 08:09 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Central LA is probably more uniformly urban than DC at 50 sq/mi but DC’s immediate core is significantly more built up than LA’s even accounting building height.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I didn't know that it existed. It's only 2 square miles. Where would it rank on this list?
By itself? It’s a non-factor at these scales.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

It wouldn’t really change Bostons ranking. Philly has bigger shoulders despite being slightly less dense than Boston.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-06-2023 at 08:53 PM..

Old 01-06-2023, 09:36 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I appreciate the honesty.
It’s like 19,000 ppsqmi. Heavily Latino and heavily heavily undercounted. Probably over 20,000 ppsqmi. And until very recently very impoverished. Much denser than Boston overall- just not nearly as posh or trendy as Cambridge.

A ton of the dense More working class urban towns cities adjacent to Boston are virtually never discussed here. It’s downright eerie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City