Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Detroit more similar to Cleveland or Chicago?
Cleveland 43 89.58%
Chicago 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I'll bite... I definitely agree with most and you that Detroit is more similar to Cleveland, but Chicago and Detroit do have quite a few similarities. Both received many Eastern European immigrants (Cleveland i believe as well). Both are among the most segregated cities of the US still. Both have rivalries in sports (Bulls-Pistons, Blackhawks-Red Wings, even Bears-Lions). Both have the two highest ranking Big Ten universities in close proximity. Both have massive funding issues (Detroit bankruptcy, CPS near bankruptcy). Both are among the most corrupt cities in the US. Both have two of the more famous organized crime leaders (Al Capine and Jimmy Hoffa). Both have strong music histories.
Folks are still trying to wrap the University of Michigan around Detroit and make it a city school, even though it's situated 45 miles away. But OK... And also, as a super-large public U compared with a small private one in Northwestern, the 2 schools are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 11:46 AM

255 posts, read 159,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Folks are still trying to wrap the University of Michigan around Detroit and make it a city school, even though it's situated 45 miles away. But OK... And also, as a super-large public U compared with a small private one in Northwestern, the 2 schools are very different.
I mean it's not a "city school" but its still involved with metro Detroit and the city itself; it is 20 miles from some western Detroit suburbs (here's a link to to show its involvement https://detroit.umich.edu/ ). There are certainly differences between the two schools but I was just making the point that both cities are in close proximity to the top two academic big ten schools even though neither is located in the city proper.

The whole point of my post though was to show that Chicago and Detroit have many similarities. Again, though I still believe Cleveland and Detroit are more similar.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:34 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I mean it's not a "city school" but its still involved with metro Detroit and the city itself; it is 20 miles from some western Detroit suburbs (here's a link to to show its involvement https://detroit.umich.edu/ ). There are certainly differences between the two schools but I was just making the point that both cities are in close proximity to the top two academic big ten schools even though neither is located in the city proper.

The whole point of my post though was to show that Chicago and Detroit have many similarities. Again, though I still believe Cleveland and Detroit are more similar.
I find similarities in Detroit and Chicago in their open, down-to-earth, unpretentious personalities, generally. Sports and sports bars are a huge thing in both cities as well as Big 10 sports, esp football. Also both cities are pancake flat -- prairie-like -- and some of their residential architecture is similar in style -- Chicago, of course, has many, many more brick apt buildings and flats while Detroit is largely a single-home, often wood-frame city.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Detroit really is not all that much like Chicago at all. The two cities share very little in common, outside of just being Midwestern cities.

Cleveland and Detroit definitely share much more in common.

Parts of Detroit's residential areas look similar to the far Southside of Chicago.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I find similarities in Detroit and Chicago in their open, down-to-earth, unpretentious personalities, generally. Sports and sports bars are a huge thing in both cities as well as Big 10 sports, esp football. Also both cities are pancake flat -- prairie-like -- and some of their residential architecture is similar in style -- Chicago, of course, has many, many more brick apt buildings and flats while Detroit is largely a single-home, often wood-frame city.
It really is a shame how much of Detroit's built environment has disappeared after 70 years of decay. There was a point when it had quite a bit more brick apt buildings and flats. Though obviously never to the level of Chicago. Detroit at it's peak had a pretty impressive density especially within a few miles of downtown. Thought pretty much all of the land it annexed between the 1920's-40's has a very pronounced sfh tract. My vote was Cleveland on this one.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Detroit and Cleveland are much more similar.

I also find Detroit and Cleveland residents to be very similar from a cultural perspective.
Can you elaborate on the last part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City