Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better urban 'bones?'
Richmond 12 36.36%
Cleveland 21 63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 03:36 PM

4,239 posts, read 2,464,214 times

Advertisements

Between Cleveland and Richmond, which one would you say has better urban 'bones?' This isn't necessarily a question about 'walkability' or 'population density.' The question rather is which one 'feels' more traditionally 'urban' or has more and better traditional urban fabric. Richmond is a relatively 'historical' southern city. Cleveland may not be as 'historical,' but it was an industrial and manufacturing powerhouse back in the day, so this should be a good matchup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 04:02 PM

771 posts, read 629,257 times
Cleveland, and it's not really fair to compare them. Cleveland has been through some tough times, but it was a major city for decades with ethnic enclaves, "old money" suburbs such as Shaker Heights, industrial areas, etc. This contributes to Cleveland feeling traditionally "urban." At one point, it was the fifth largest city in the country, and you can't say the same for Richmond.

For a southern city, Richmond is very urban, but it's not urban compared to most northern cities.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:05 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,688,677 times
I definitely think historically Cleveland had better bones. From what I recall (I haven’t been to Cleveland in 20+ years) it seems like downtown has been separated from the neighborhoods and port by terrible freeway design and urban renewal schemes of the 60’s-80’s. Downtown felt like an island. The neighborhoods were fantastic but they kinda felt like separate towns at the time. I’m sure, like with most places, development has knitted the urban area back together to some extent though.

Richmond is much, much smaller but feels more organically connected Still (although it suffers from the same terrible freeway design of the same era).

Aerial photos from today show a more cohesive downtown Richmond but a bigger downtown Cleveland. So I don’t know....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbell1...in/photostream

Old 10-20-2020, 04:06 PM

1,013 posts, read 914,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Cleveland, and it's not really fair to compare them. Cleveland has been through some tough times, but it was a major city for decades with ethnic enclaves, "old money" suburbs such as Shaker Heights, industrial areas, etc. This contributes to Cleveland feeling traditionally "urban." At one point, it was the fifth largest city in the country, and you can't say the same for Richmond.

For a southern city, Richmond is very urban, but it's not very urban compared to northern cities.
What this person said, Richmond is urban much more than it’s population would indicate but it’s footprint is small compared to Cleveland. These are two of my favorite cities.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:07 PM

9,689 posts, read 9,427,090 times
Cleveland wins. Larger downtown footprint. The city could use an economic boost.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 5,651,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
but it's not urban compared to most northern cities.
This part isn't true. I lived in Albany, outside Syracuse, spent ample time in Buffalo, have been to Boston, Rochester, Burlington, Manchester, Springfield, Providence, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Manhattan, and I'm forgetting scores of even smaller cities...

Richmond is as urban as MANY northern cities, more urban than some...

Regarding Cleveland and Rich in this comparison, I spent 4 days in Cleveland three years ago and while it clear from the start Cleveland is larger, it is not dramatically more urban than Richmond at all, so my answer to this thread is Cleveland has stronger urban bones by virtue of having a larger framework to work with. But drawn to scale the difference is minimal, the most urban parts of Cleveland I saw were not at all more urban in any significant sense than the most urban parts of Rich...

Old 10-20-2020, 05:52 PM

1,013 posts, read 914,937 times
I agree ☝️

Old 10-20-2020, 07:00 PM

955 posts, read 614,396 times
Cleveland's got heavy rail which is the biggest urban bone I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City