Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with PA?
Allentown 6 8.22%
Harrisburg 17 23.29%
Lancaster 8 10.96%
Erie 4 5.48%
Reading 1 1.37%
Scranton 18 24.66%
York 1 1.37%
State College 1 1.37%
Altoona 1 1.37%
Williamsport 0 0%
I think of picturesque, rural Lancaster County villages 3 4.11%
I think of Bethlehem / Easton / Lehigh Valley (part of Allentown area) 2 2.74%
I think of Hershey (part of Harrisburg area) 1 1.37%
I think of Wilkes-Barre (pronounced 6 different ways) (part of Scranton) 1 1.37%
I think of a small city/town near Philadelphia, or the Main Line 1 1.37%
I think of a small city/town near Pittsburgh like McKeesport / Aliquippa / Greensburg 1 1.37%
I really don't think of / know any cities other than just Philadelphia or Pittsburgh 5 6.85%
Other 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:04 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It's surprising that it isn't a blowout for Scranton. Scranton gets so much national attention for its affiliation with Biden. Those of us in PA or surrounding states may know Harrisburg and Allentown are heavier hitters than Scranton, but on a national level, I think Scranton is the third city most affiliated with Pennsylvania.
Recency bias. Most casual observers had no idea that Biden was from Scranton or did they know much about Scranton before this election. Whereas I think most people associate PA with Lancaster county (Amish country, rolling hills) and have for a lot longer period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:13 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Recency bias. Most casual observers had no idea that Biden was from Scranton or did they know much about Scranton before this election. Whereas I think most people associate PA with Lancaster county (Amish country, rolling hills) and have for a lot longer period of time.
Hm, that's an interesting take. I am pretty sure Biden played up his roots in Scranton at a national level long before 2020, especially in 2008 and 2012. I assume we are talking about contemporary associations, not associations of the past, anyways.

Edit: I consider Lancaster and South-Central Pennsylvania the most "quintessentially Pennsylvanian" part of the state, but I do not think that means Lancaster is the third most associated city, or that it is all that well known on a national level. Many people consider it one of Pennsylvania's "best kept secrets."

Old 10-28-2020, 08:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
I live one state away in MD, and undoubtedly after the top two I associate Harrisburg the state capital next. And this comes as I have been to both Scranton and Allentown.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:45 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Hm, that's an interesting take. I am pretty sure Biden played up his roots in Scranton at a national level long before 2020, especially in 2008 and 2012. I assume we are talking about contemporary associations, not associations of the past, anyways.

Edit: I consider Lancaster and South-Central Pennsylvania the most "quintessentially Pennsylvanian" part of the state, but I do not think that means Lancaster is the third most associated city, or that it is all that well known on a national level. Many people consider it one of Pennsylvania's "best kept secrets."
You make some interesting points. Biden is a tricky case. So much of his campaign has been built on the story about his two hour train ride home from DC to Delaware to tuck his kids in every night after the loss of his wife and young daughter. On the other hand it's also about his blue collar roots in Scranton. He definitely plays up either/or at times depending on his audience lol I have zero problem with it and think it's endearing but just an observation.

Overall I just think nationally that the casual person would more associate Lancaster County (and all that comes with it) with PA than Scranton. Maybe that's not the case. When I was a kid in the 80's we did the family trip to Lancaster County from North Jersey. It just seemed like one of those PA things that so many did.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:13 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I agree with this take. I'm a political junkie, so I also know that Hillary Clinton played up her Scranton family roots too when convenient in 2008/2016 (and that the city itself is named for a prominent political family) but I would venture to guess that the casual observer nationally outside of the PA area would just assume that Biden was born in Delaware. Now if Steve Carell ever runs for office then Scranton would enter the minds of more voters nationally...

Last edited by innovator82; 10-28-2020 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-28-2020, 11:56 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
For rural PA, I more picture the hills of coal country in western/central PA, like where my dad grew up in Washington County. More dense forests and less open farmland than Lancaster County, which is actually one of the least hilly parts of the state, right?

And truth be told, picturing that western PA landscape makes me taste a sandwich stuffed with french fries.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:01 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
I agree with this take. I'm a political junkie, so I also know that Hillary Clinton played up her Scranton family roots too when convenient in 2008/2016 (and that the city itself is named for a prominent political family) but I would venture to guess that the casual observer nationally outside of the PA area would just assume that Biden was born in Delaware. Now if Steve Carell ever runs for office then Scranton would enter the minds of more voters nationally...
Really? About every other general discussion of Biden includes a sound bite such as, "...the scrappy boy from Scranton..." Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
For rural PA, I more picture the hills of coal country in western/central PA, like where my dad grew up in Washington County. More dense forests and less open farmland than Lancaster County, which is actually one of the least hilly parts of the state, right?

And truth be told, picturing that western PA landscape makes me taste a sandwich stuffed with french fries.
Yeah, truth be told, when I think rural Pennsylvania scenery, I think of the Northern Tier around Williamsport and North of Williamsport around I-99 and Wellsboro. But, that's because it is where my dad's family is from. And yes, the Lancaster area is in fact flat in some areas, but it is generally gentle rolling hills. It is probably the flattest part of the state, along with Southeast Pennsylvania.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:59 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
First city that comes to mind with Pennsylvania? *Other than Philadelphia and Pittsburgh*
I think a decent way to describe the dichotomy being discussed here is which Pennsylvania: the gritty vs. the bucolic. And I mean both of those in a positive way (since sometimes people give the word "gritty" a negative connotation).

Old 10-29-2020, 09:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Erie, because every time we drive from MA to MI, we eat dinner at the Applebees right off 90 in Erie lol.

Voted Lancaster though, it's my prototypical PA town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City