Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city (metro) is most defined by its teams?
Boston 31 35.63%
Chicago 10 11.49%
Dallas-Ft Worth 14 16.09%
Denver 1 1.15%
Detroit 3 3.45%
Los Angeles 2 2.30%
Miami 1 1.15%
Minneapolis-St Paul 3 3.45%
New York 3 3.45%
Philadelphia 18 20.69%
Phoenix 0 0%
Bay Area 0 0%
Washington 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Included on this thread is a poll listing every US city (metro) that has teams in the leagues that represent our four major sports: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL

Which of these cities is most defined by its teams, where team is most evocative of the city. This is not about what is the best sports town. It is not about what city best supports its team. Nor necessarily the city that is most passionate about their teams (although obviously it could be).

No.....this one is strictly about the one whose teams (as a whole) are most are imbedded in our image of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 04:34 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Damn... no love for the Orioles or Ravens lol

But in all seriousness, out of this list I’d probably say New York... the Yankee’s have long been the face of the city now for decades and are so deep routed into the cities culture that you can’t picture the city without them

Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Pittsburgh is the city with the multiple pro teams most associated with those teams. Green Bay is obviously the place identified most with a single pro team. My thought for this is both Boston and Philly make sense, but I literally never think of Minneapolis unless I’m watching an old Mary Tyler Moore Show or its the Vikings playing, so I’ll say there.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Pittsburgh is the city with the multiple pro teams most associated with those teams. Green Bay is obviously the place identified most with a single pro team. My thought for this is both Boston and Philly make sense, but I literally never think of Minneapolis unless I’m watching an old Mary Tyler Moore Show or its the Vikings playing, so I’ll say there.
Yes, I immediately thought Green Bay first. After that maybe Boston, Chicago, and New York.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
After actually reading your quetion (I do this every time. They really should move the poll down past the initial thread) I think Pittsburgh. Steelers - check. Old steel town. A team with a history of rough play and rougher players. Pirates - A forgettable team most of the time unless you're trying to remember all the teams. Kind of like Pittsburgh (I actually really like Pittsburgh, it just isn't at the top of a list of big cities unless I'm trying to think of more obscure places). Penguins - trendy now because the team won the draft lottery. Pittsburgh is a trendy town according to many on CD. Talk about bandwagons.

I know they only have three teams but I forget basketball even exists half the time so there you go.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yes, I immediately thought Green Bay first. After that maybe Boston, Chicago, and New York.
There is literally nothing else in Green Bay. It may be one of the most boring places I've ever been. If it didn't have the Packers no one would have ever heard the words Green Bay.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Damn Yankees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8CpIg2fvU

Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The issue is Boston/Chicago/NYC/Detroit although good sports towns they have full indentities if their sports teams disappeared people would still know things about them.

Other than its sports teams I feel like the general knowledge of the Twin Cities is that they’re cold and that’s about it.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The issue is Boston/Chicago/NYC/Detroit although good sports towns they have full indentities if their sports teams disappeared people would still know things about them.

Other than its sports teams I feel like the general knowledge of the Twin Cities is that they’re cold and that’s about it.
Weird. I guess it has a lot to do with where you live and what you know. Major sports teams are about the last thing I think of when I hear Twin Cities. They're always so mediocre. I may think of a sport in general (hockey) but not the Wild.

Since you're in Boston, when I hear your city, I think obsessive fanatics maybe third. After history and my cousin comes crazy sports fans who think they're better than everyone else. I get the impression that sports teams and fandom mean a lot more in Boston and NYC than they do in most places. But as you pointed out, those cities would have their own identity without their teams so they don't fit this criteria.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Minneapolis...I don't think so. I would say, Boston, New York, or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.