Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you like more?
Yosemite National Park 24 63.16%
Zion National Park 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 06:54 PM

504 posts, read 598,884 times

Advertisements

These two are among the top two visited national parks in the US. Which park do you prefer and why? (Primarily for people who have visited both parks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 07:43 PM

1,053 posts, read 799,737 times
Two way tie for first place!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Yosemite.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Both are sacred temples, this is like picking between a Van Gogh and a Picasso. It's like God went to town on the natural elements of the Western half of North America. We are a blessed country.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:03 AM

330 posts, read 294,406 times
I have only been to Yosemite and not Zion National Park.

I think Yosemite is alright. It is beautiful and helpful to visit once but I’m not sure if I will do it again for a 4hr drive from SF or LA(plus the road getting into the park especially if you are coming from the SF direction is pretty scary in a way like the Yellow Stone National Park). I much prefer the Muir Woods National Monument in Marin County if you are in the SF Bay Area.

I would say if you visit Yosemite, it is better to spend at least two nights there.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 10-27-2020 at 12:34 AM..

Old 10-27-2020, 12:14 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I voted Zion, and I haven't been to Yosemite. But I have been to areas not far from it in California (Mono and Alpine Counties) and the photos I'm seeing don't look dramatically different from what it was like down there and some of what we have here in Washington. I visited Zion years ago and I'd love to see that type of scenery again.

Plus, California wins on any other criterion, I'm fine giving "national parks" to Utah.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:02 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I voted Zion, and I haven't been to Yosemite. But I have been to areas not far from it in California (Mono and Alpine Counties) and the photos I'm seeing don't look dramatically different from what it was like down there and some of what we have here in Washington. I visited Zion years ago and I'd love to see that type of scenery again.

Plus, California wins on any other criterion, I'm fine giving "national parks" to Utah.
There's nothing else in CA like Yosemite Valley. Except maybe Hetch Hetchy but it's filled with water.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:55 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,539 times
Zion is beautiful but even if you can equate Zion Canyon with Yosemite Valley - a stretch - that leaves aside all of the brilliant Yosemite high backcountry which - yes - far too many people are never able to see. Yosemite holds my interest much more.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I chose Zion.

In terms of geology and general topography it is far more unique than Yosemite even given the superlative granite cliff faces of Yosemite Valley. Zion is brilliantly colored in every direction, the juxtaposition of striated red rock with the vibrant green riparian vegetation in the canyon bottom. Unique rock structures, desert riparian habitat, and the wide variety of experiences offered by the trail system from gentle valley treks to slot canyons to mesa tops and knife-edge ridges are unmatched in really any of the western NPs.

Also, I just don't find the forest around Yosemite particularly interesting compared to other northern California forests, and beyond the famous rockfaces, Yosemite is just generic Sierra high country, grey granite, dusky chapparal, dull monoculture stands of pines and firs. Lifeless seeming, even compared to the Zion desert.

If I were to make an admittedly silly analogy, Zion is a foreign film with a twist ending, kind of hard to follow, but mesmerizing, while Yosemite is a Michael Bay film with incredible explosions and spectacle, but not very deep.

My disparagement of Yosemite should be taken with a grain of salt, though. It is mightily spectacular. I only sound like I am coming down on it to illustrate my preference for Zion.

For the High Sierra region, I prefer King's Canyon, Sequoia, and the Inyo NF. Just my personal preference.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
Yosemite offers some breathtaking views but Zion does not. In fact, I favor Zion's neighbor, Bryce Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City