Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:37 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times

Advertisements

Both Grand Rapids and Rochester are located in the Great Lakes region, were initially settled and developed by westward-moving Yankees and share a similar local accent (i.e., Inland North). Although Italian ancestry is less common in Grand Rapids than Rochester, both metropolitan areas appear to have above-average concentrations of Dutch and German ancestry. Despite those facts, I am curious to know if there any noticeable differences in the people and/or culture between the two metropolitan areas. Are there any features of Grand Rapids that make the city decidedly more Midwestern, or are there any features of Rochester that make the city decidedly more Northeastern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 12:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Demographically, I would say Rochester is more of a northeastern city. In addition to the large Italian population, it also has a sizable Puerto Rican population and a larger than average Jewish population for a midsized MSA.

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/conte...3bA102yc9q1JXj

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...an_communities

Old 11-17-2020, 01:46 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Not necessarily in the city of Grand Rapids, but in the metro/region, there is a pretty big Dutch Reformed church culture.

Rochester in parts of the metro, has a relatively good sized Asian population. Between the suburban towns of Brighton, Henrietta and Pittsford, there are a little over 10,000 Asians or 9.2% of the population between the 3 towns.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:54 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Both Grand Rapids and Rochester are located in the Great Lakes region, were initially settled and developed by westward-moving Yankees and share a similar local accent (i.e., Inland North). Although Italian ancestry is less common in Grand Rapids than Rochester, both metropolitan areas appear to have above-average concentrations of Dutch and German ancestry. Despite those facts, I am curious to know if there any noticeable differences in the people and/or culture between the two metropolitan areas. Are there any features of Grand Rapids that make the city decidedly more Midwestern, or are there any features of Rochester that make the city decidedly more Northeastern?
One thing is layout. Richester’s Urban layout in very much in the vein of Worcester or Syracuse while Grand Rapids is laid out like a Northwest Territories city.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:22 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily in the city of Grand Rapids, but in the metro/region, there is a pretty big Dutch Reformed church culture.

Rochester in parts of the metro, has a relatively good sized Asian population. Between the suburban towns of Brighton, Henrietta and Pittsford, there are a little over 10,000 Asians or 9.2% of the population between the 3 towns.
The Dutch Reform “church culture” is pretty limited to Grand Rapids western suburbs/Ottawa County. Like anywhere the most caricatured portion of a population is going to be the face of a region. Catholicism is actually the largest religion in the area due to the lesser discussed Polish population that settled in the area. Grand Rapids has a higher concentration of Asian in the suburbs of Kentwood and Wyoming. It actually has the largest Vietnamese community in Michigan. The largest minority group in the area are those of Latino origin, largely Mexican immigrants. The city of Wyoming is more than 20% latino.

From a built environment Grand Rapids has a typical very organized midwestern grid. My guess downtown GR will feel more quaint than downtown Rochester. Both cities were pretty dense back in the 50’s when urban built environment hit it’s apex, but GR was substantially smaller than Rochester at the time. The streets are more narrow and the buildings are more ornate than many cities of like size. The Dutch influence on built environment feels almost “European” in certain parts according to some. Though there are more than enough turn of the century buildings in GR that follow the Chicago school of architecture which is decidedly midwestern.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The Dutch Reform “church culture” is pretty limited to Grand Rapids western suburbs/Ottawa County. Like anywhere the most caricatured portion of a population is going to be the face of a region. Catholicism is actually the largest religion in the area due to the lesser discussed Polish population that settled in the area. Grand Rapids has a higher concentration of Asian in the suburbs of Kentwood and Wyoming. It actually has the largest Vietnamese community in Michigan. The largest minority group in the area are those of Latino origin, largely Mexican immigrants. The city of Wyoming is more than 20% latino.

From a built environment Grand Rapids has a typical very organized midwestern grid. My guess downtown GR will feel more quaint than downtown Rochester. Both cities were pretty dense back in the 50’s when urban built environment hit it’s apex, but GR was substantially smaller than Rochester at the time. The streets are more narrow and the buildings are more ornate than many cities of like size. The Dutch influence on built environment feels almost “European” in certain parts according to some. Though there are more than enough turn of the century buildings in GR that follow the Chicago school of architecture which is decidedly midwestern.

The Grand Rapids/Holland, Michigan corridor is Michigan's Bible Belt.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

I know this is street view, but it can give some idea of what they look like.

Grand Rapids: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9664...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9632...7i16384!8i8192

Rochester: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1558...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1576...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Rochester's Downtown straddles the Genesee River. So, the first is west of the river and the second is east of the river. To be honest, the Downtowns don't look too dissimilar.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:59 PM

For Rochester, some areas outside of Downtown that are pretty popular or could appeal to people looking for a walkable, city neighborhood, Park Avenue: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1481...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1497...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

South Wedge: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1407...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Neighborhood of the Arts(NOTA): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1588...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Monroe Village: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1442...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Upper Monroe: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1402...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Swillburg: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1396...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Old 11-19-2020, 01:09 AM

53 posts, read 45,606 times
Grand Rapids is in a good location between Chicago and Detroit. GR metro area grew in population by over 8% from 2020 and is now the clear 2nd metro area the state of Michigan. There is a lot of momentum for continued growth in Western Michigan as a whole, as the economy continues to diversify. GR has a lot of pull for residents from rural and exurban cities in Western/Northern MI, and it’s increasingly gaining in national reputation. I think GVSU will continue to establish itself as a leader among 2nd tier schools in the state, possibly becoming the 3rd best school in the state in the coming decades, which will add to the region’s appeal.

Rochester is fairly isolated in Western New York. It’s the 4th largest metro area in NY and lost or barely maintained population since 2010. Rochester has a lot of legacy institutions from its days of former industrial prominence. Rochester is also home to strong universities and some large technology companies. It is close proximity to good natural scenery.

Overall I think the momentum is in GR’s favor. The city has less baggage from a former rust belt past compared to its peers. There is strong local leadership that is making investments in the future of the area.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPACKERS1200 View Post
Grand Rapids is in a good location between Chicago and Detroit. GR metro area grew in population by over 8% from 2020 and is now the clear 2nd metro area the state of Michigan. There is a lot of momentum for continued growth in Western Michigan as a whole, as the economy continues to diversify. GR has a lot of pull for residents from rural and exurban cities in Western/Northern MI, and it’s increasingly gaining in national reputation. I think GVSU will continue to establish itself as a leader among 2nd tier schools in the state, possibly becoming the 3rd best school in the state in the coming decades, which will add to the region’s appeal.

Rochester is fairly isolated in Western New York. It’s the 4th largest metro area in NY and lost or barely maintained population since 2010. Rochester has a lot of legacy institutions from its days of former industrial prominence. Rochester is also home to strong universities and some large technology companies. It is close proximity to good natural scenery.

Overall I think the momentum is in GR’s favor. The city has less baggage from a former rust belt past compared to its peers. There is strong local leadership that is making investments in the future of the area.
Actually, Rochester is the 3rd biggest metro in NY in between Buffalo and Albany in population. It is located in between Buffalo(an hour away, if that) and Syracuse(an hour and 20 minutes) in terms of location, with Toronto being the closest major area(about 2 and a half hours from Downtown to Downtown).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-19-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City