Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2020, 05:03 AM

171 posts, read 179,963 times

Advertisements

The second and third largest metros in the midwest
Which Downtown looks bigger and feels bigger?
Things to do
Downtown population
Downtown employment population
Restaurants
Bars
Clubs
Museums
Scenery
Crime

Last edited by Apparel; 11-27-2020 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Left a few things out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 07:01 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Downtown population - Minneapolis
Downtown employment population - Minneapolis
Restaurants - I'm going to call this one a tie. Minneapolis has better upscale/chain options, but Detroit has better local/independent options.
Bars - Detroit
Clubs - Detroit
Museums - Detroit
Scenery - Detroit
Crime - Minneapolis

Overall, Minneapolis has the more functional/vibrant downtown and also feels/looks bigger, although Detroit takes the edge in terms of nightlife and I think it's safely ahead in terms of Museums. Scenery I think goes without saying between Detroit's gothic feel and the Detroit River.

Last edited by citidata18; 11-27-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-27-2020, 07:17 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Detroit downtown still in many parts feel like a setting for a post apocalyptic video game.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:33 AM

955 posts, read 612,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Scenery I think goes without saying between Detroit's gothic feel and the Detroit River.
We do love the gothic architecture, but the entire riverwalk area is frankly barren and underwhelming. The western half is a seriously isolated and sometimes scary esplanade, and the eastern half is a parking lot.

Minneapolis takes this category with the gorgeous falls of the Mississippi River right next to downtown, the stunning Nicollet Island, and the iconic Hennepin Avenue Bridge.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:59 PM

59 posts, read 53,999 times
I'm voting for downtown Detroit here. I've been to both in the past two years. Minneapolis was gorgeous but I actually thought there downtown seemed a bit dead (went in July), I also felt that way about its more popular neighborhoods (like Uptown). Downtown Detroit was phenomenal! Campus Martius Park had so many people eating in it, restaurants were full, the bars were cool...it felt like a 'big' city. Loved it!

Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 PM

171 posts, read 179,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneducator415 View Post
I'm voting for downtown Detroit here. I've been to both in the past two years. Minneapolis was gorgeous but I actually thought there downtown seemed a bit dead (went in July), I also felt that way about its more popular neighborhoods (like Uptown). Downtown Detroit was phenomenal! Campus Martius Park had so many people eating in it, restaurants were full, the bars were cool...it felt like a 'big' city. Loved it!

I have yet to visit Detroit. Minneapolis if you aren't around 1st Ave or Hennepin downtown I can see how it might seem that way. But I really dont think Minneapolis is dead. Maybe Minneapolis isn't as busy in those area's as it used to be because Minneapolis has a worse crime problem then Detroit in the downtown area I think anyway and people get shot on a regular basis in the downtown area. Maybe it was the day you were there lol. Detroit is a bigger city. Idk maybe it's dead compared to Detroit another reason why I should visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City