Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 04:38 PM

91 posts, read 141,316 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Our family moved from Boulder CO to Washington state in search of a new place to live. We were leaving Boulder, as much as we loved it, because the summers were becoming way too hot, the severe weather (storms, wildfires, hail, insane wind, hail, etc.). We were thinking we could find something in WA state that we loved, but so far we haven't found out groove. We thought we'd like Bellingham, but the crime rate is concerning (we have a young family), and seems more "up and coming" than we'd like.

We are looking for somewhere that is no too remote, safe, great for kids to grow up, liberal, nice homes you can get for less than 2m, festivals, organic food, parks and events, good amenities etc.

Coming from Boulder, we thought Bellingham WA, Bend OR, Boise ID, would potentially fit the bill.
What are your impressions of these places and where would you raise your family? I would prefer to avoid "up and coming" and live somewhere a little more developed so there is decent access to shopping, good food, restaurants, etc, but without being a big city. We would like a smaller town or medium sized town feel.

Are there other towns/cities I've missed we should consider? So far, we haven't found what we're looking for in WA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 10:56 AM

77 posts, read 143,398 times
If you don’t mind the wetness and gray of Bellingham, what about places like Corvallis or Eugene? Plenty of city and college-town amenities, close to I-5 for trips to Portland, and an abundance of organic foods. I’m guessing Corvallis might meet your needs better for a smaller town feel. Bend and Boise are both growing incredibly fast and definitely meet the “up and coming” that you’re trying to avoid. I live in Bend and think it’s a great place to raise kids—lots to do and many young, active families. But it is absolutely growing and developing quickly!

Last edited by dogflower; 11-30-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-30-2020, 11:15 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
I can't speak for the other cities, but Bend is one of my favorite places in the US. It's small enough but still provides access to pretty much everything you want in regards to festivals, events, restaurants, and organic food. It's also known as an outdoor lover's paradise, as it provides access to almost every form of outdoor recreation.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:24 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdboulder View Post
Hi,
Our family moved from Boulder CO to Washington state in search of a new place to live. We were leaving Boulder, as much as we loved it, because the summers were becoming way too hot, the severe weather (storms, wildfires, hail, insane wind, hail, etc.). We were thinking we could find something in WA state that we loved, but so far we haven't found out groove. We thought we'd like Bellingham, but the crime rate is concerning (we have a young family), and seems more "up and coming" than we'd like.

We are looking for somewhere that is no too remote, safe, great for kids to grow up, liberal, nice homes you can get for less than 2m, festivals, organic food, parks and events, good amenities etc.

Coming from Boulder, we thought Bellingham WA, Bend OR, Boise ID, would potentially fit the bill.
What are your impressions of these places and where would you raise your family? I would prefer to avoid "up and coming" and live somewhere a little more developed so there is decent access to shopping, good food, restaurants, etc, but without being a big city. We would like a smaller town or medium sized town feel.

Are there other towns/cities I've missed we should consider? So far, we haven't found what we're looking for in WA....
Hopefully you've found my other posts and responses helpful. I just wanted to mention that, for reference, Bend was our runner-up on the list I mentioned when pondering a move from CO, and we were very close to making the move. We've got friends and family down there (as well as Bellingham), so we're there somewhat regularly. Obviously, everyone's criteria is different, but we chose Bellingham due to the following:

1) Lack of income tax in WA
2) We were missing the water, trees (after living in desert conditions we were ready for greens & blues vs. oranges & reds)
3) Closer proximity to big cities
4) More of an actual city with a history and vibe

We love where we live, and these aren't necessarily deal breakers- we'd live in Bend any day of the week, as well. I'd say that coming from Boulder, Bend would seem to be a somewhat modern equivalent with a much more similar climate (hot summers, colder winters)- It's more of a "new money" equivalent, kind of a playground for Bay Area wealth- with newer, pricier housing and restaurants, etc. Bellingham, on the other hand, is more of the Boulder 20, 30+ years ago- a more hippie college town with more independent shops and restaurants. And of course a totally different climate than Bend- but not compared Corvallis or Eugene- either you're on the wetside of the Cascades, or the drier side, for the most part.

On a side note, I strongly disagree with the feedback that some of the Bellingham posters have given towards your questions. Crime is NOT substantially higher here than in general than other comparable cities, despite the conservative curmudgeons on City-Data who are obsessed with scaring people away with moving to the area. And as I mentioned in another reply, the data and my experience in the neighborhood (Edgemoor) that you were interested in doesn't support the idea that it's dangerous at all: https://cob.org/gov/dept/police/news-police/crime-stats. In fact, real estate in Edgemoor is generally touted as having the lowest crime rates in the area.

Back to your overall list, keep in mind the "up and coming" description really applies to anywhere in the west- every city you've mentioned is growing like crazy. So it just depends on what type of look and feel you prefer. And out of your list, Bend may well be the most appealing, aesthetically and for home-inventory at your price range. And the fact that it's off the beaten path may keep the crime down a little bit, though it does have homelessness and a tendency towards property crime, as do other desirable cities that size.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:11 PM

365 posts, read 229,599 times
Bend and Boise are great and probably a better fit for you but they are both very isolated. Bellingham is a little grittier but is still generally pretty safe and you've got both Seattle and Vancouver less than 2 hours away. For that reason alone I'd choose Bellingham.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:02 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
If you think Boulder is too hot, then scratch Boise. Summer temps are very similar between the two cities (with Boise being slightly hotter in July and August), and every couple years Boise seems to have a heat wave with highs between 105 and 110.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 12-01-2020 at 03:16 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 11:51 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, have you looked at Olympia WA? It would seem to make a lot of sense for you.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:54 PM

119 posts, read 122,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, have you looked at Olympia WA? It would seem to make a lot of sense for you.
Is that an improvement with crime though? It seemed kind of sketchy when I visited a couple years back. I think Edmonds, WA might be ideal if it’s within budget.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:22 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogflower View Post
what about places like Corvallis or Eugene?
I love these two places and have fond memories of spending summer times up there.

But a funny story. In the '70s and the '80s Boulder and Eugene became meccas for elite distance runners. And it was interesting to see which guys ended up where.

The Boulder guys referred to Eugene as "Hooterville" and the Eugene guys referred to Boulder as "Snob Holler".

And in reality, Eugene IS really sort of a poor man's Boulder in many ways. I've not been to Bellingham but I really like Corvallis. Lovely little town.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:45 PM

91 posts, read 141,316 times
Thank you all. I really liked the feel of Boise, but I think it is because it was so much like Boulder. Bend is appealing, nice homes which seem more affordable, but it does seem isolated from a larger city, should you want/need to go into a city for any reason, which is not as appealing. I love *not* gritty, which is why this is so hard. I wish Bellingham had more areas like that, but maybe it's just a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City