Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you prefer?
Shreveport, LA 6 15.00%
Jackson, MS 5 12.50%
Montgomery, AL 15 37.50%
Macon, GA 15 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 09:07 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times

Advertisements

The recent GDP release have a look these cities core counties/parish.

Hinds , MS - $11.1 Billion
Bibb, GA - $8.2 Billion
Caddo, LA - $12.6 Billion
Montgomery, AL - $12.5 Billion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 02:51 AM

577 posts, read 562,175 times
Jackson is on the cusp of getting a 10-mile lake built, going straight though the center of the city/metro area. It's expected to be lined with a combination of parks and urbane waterside developments.

They are also building a 3,000 acre park next to the lake which is set to open in the next year.

And they have proposed converting a 3-mile reservoir spillway, which sits on the north end of the park, into a walking/biking pathway overlooking the 52 square mile Ross Barnett Reservoir. (moving the cars to the bottom of the spillway)

Adjacent to the reservoir is the Natchez Trace Parkway with a some 30-mile long bike and walking path along the reservoir.

I see this combination of resources as pretty spectacular once completed. The state legislature has also created the state-run Capitol Police which is protecting downtown and the historic and cultural districts in the city. The legislature is proposing to continue expanding this as they are beginning to see positive results already.

The state has also funded the rebuilding of numerous major streets throughout the city which was badly needed.

Jackson's suburbs are actually quite strong and are beginning to evolve into fully formed entities with their own downtowns and cultural districts. Examples are the lovey "West Main" development in downtown Flora, the "Madison and Main" development into downtown Madison, "Belhaven Town Center" in Belhaven, "Downtown Fondren", "District at Eastover", "Town of Livingston", and the "Waterpointe" development in Flowood. In the city of Clinton, Mississippi College just announced free tuition for all in-state students, which bodes well for that community which is already quite nice and has a cute little downtown. And the city of Brandon is moving ahead with a big upgrade of its downtown.

It seems like Metro Jackson is about to have a bunch of things which have been quietly in progress for years suddenly begin to come to fruition. I expect Metro Jackson in 25-30 years comparatively will be quite a happening place.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
^That's awesome news!

Old 02-03-2023, 05:50 PM

22 posts, read 20,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Jackson is on the cusp of getting a 10-mile lake built, going straight though the center of the city/metro area. It's expected to be lined with a combination of parks and urbane waterside developments.

They are also building a 3,000 acre park next to the lake which is set to open in the next year.

And they have proposed converting a 3-mile reservoir spillway, which sits on the north end of the park, into a walking/biking pathway overlooking the 52 square mile Ross Barnett Reservoir. (moving the cars to the bottom of the spillway)

Adjacent to the reservoir is the Natchez Trace Parkway with a some 30-mile long bike and walking path along the reservoir.

I see this combination of resources as pretty spectacular once completed. The state legislature has also created the state-run Capitol Police which is protecting downtown and the historic and cultural districts in the city. The legislature is proposing to continue expanding this as they are beginning to see positive results already.

The state has also funded the rebuilding of numerous major streets throughout the city which was badly needed.

Jackson's suburbs are actually quite strong and are beginning to evolve into fully formed entities with their own downtowns and cultural districts. Examples are the lovey "West Main" development in downtown Flora, the "Madison and Main" development into downtown Madison, "Belhaven Town Center" in Belhaven, "Downtown Fondren", "District at Eastover", "Town of Livingston", and the "Waterpointe" development in Flowood. In the city of Clinton, Mississippi College just announced free tuition for all in-state students, which bodes well for that community which is already quite nice and has a cute little downtown. And the city of Brandon is moving ahead with a big upgrade of its downtown.

It seems like Metro Jackson is about to have a bunch of things which have been quietly in progress for years suddenly begin to come to fruition. I expect Metro Jackson in 25-30 years comparatively will be quite a happening place.
Not to mention redevelopment of a cluster of abandoned buildings on Mill street being converted into a movie studio, the Nissan plant in Canton being retrofitted to produce electric all Nissan electric cars, and growing amenities like the redeveloping Lefluer’s Bluff and construction of Gulf Suites in Madison and TopGolf in Ridgeland.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:04 PM

The TopGolf in Ridgeland, outside Jackson, is approved and underway. They are building it within a new-urbanism style mixed use community called Prado Vista. Jackson is amassing a remarkable collection of new-urbanism communities and shopping/restaurant districts:

Township at Colony Park
District at Eastover
Town of Livingston
Lost Rabbit
Madison and Main (2027)
Waterpointe
Belhaven Town Center
Prado Vista
Highland Village
Renaissance
Banner Hall
Fondren
West Main in Flora

It's all very fancy. The main thing Jackson has needed is public safety, and the state legislature has officially expanded the so-called CCID, a zone within the city in which state police will protect the entire area which includes all of downtown and all the adacent cultural, medical, and university districts. With public safety in place, the downtown area should be next to begin revitalizing, especially as many historic buildings have already been renovated into loft apartments etc.

The new 10-mile long lake through the heart of the city is set to be finalized in August, and it will be fancy. The new 3,000 acre park along the new lake is also set to open in the next year.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
The TopGolf in Ridgeland, outside Jackson, is approved and underway. They are building it within a new-urbanism style mixed use community called Prado Vista. Jackson is amassing a remarkable collection of new-urbanism communities and shopping/restaurant districts:

Township at Colony Park
District at Eastover
Town of Livingston
Lost Rabbit
Madison and Main (2027)
Waterpointe
Belhaven Town Center
Prado Vista
Highland Village
Renaissance
Banner Hall
Fondren
West Main in Flora

It's all very fancy. The main thing Jackson has needed is public safety, and the state legislature has officially expanded the so-called CCID, a zone within the city in which state police will protect the entire area which includes all of downtown and all the adacent cultural, medical, and university districts. With public safety in place, the downtown area should be next to begin revitalizing, especially as many historic buildings have already been renovated into loft apartments etc.

The new 10-mile long lake through the heart of the city is set to be finalized in August, and it will be fancy. The new 3,000 acre park along the new lake is also set to open in the next year.
Police don't stop crime, they just arrest people.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:42 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:

Township at Colony Park
District at Eastover
Town of Livingston
Lost Rabbit
Madison and Main (2027)
Waterpointe
Belhaven Town Center
Prado Vista
Highland Village
Renaissance
Banner Hall
Fondren
West Main in Flora

These new developments in Jackson and area suburbs, sound interesting! Per this post you did, and the other post you did also on the same page of this thread. I'm glad to hear this news, about new Jackson area developments. Is there a map someone posted online, that shows where the new 10 mile lake park being constructed is located?

And I'll say whenever I've street viewed Jackson, it never has jumped out to me as much as I hoped it would in my mind, not sure why.

I did like street viewing the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods of Jackson, myself. And if you can give me google street views of other parts of Jackson(city or its suburbs) you think I'd like, please do so. I guess you can say that I've been trying to better understand Jackson and find the real truth about it(including if anything is good and underrated, a la what Chris Harden/Nostalgia Tours does in his YouTube videos), beyond any negative stereotypes spread about it online?

Old 05-20-2023, 10:48 PM

The 10-mile lake, which is supposedly set to be approved by the federal government in August, is tentatively referred to as the "One Lake" project. There are maps online. The 2,700 acre park next to it, set to open soon, is called Fannye Cook natural area.

Yes, the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods are ultra-charming. Some pretty streets for google street view would be Peachtree and Pinehurst near Belhaven University (which is basically the center of the Belhaven neighborhood) and Glenway Drive, Woodland Circle, and Hawthorne Drive in Fondren.

Next is Eastover. The center of Eastover would be at roughly Eastover Drive and Lake Circle. The District at Eastover is at Eastover Drive and I-55N.

A pretty view of the Reservoir would be a the Jackson Yacht Club, at the end of Yacht Club Road in Ridgeland. Another pretty view would be in the cool Lost Rabbit development in Madison (Old Trace Rd and West Florida Blvd). Or for a big view along the Spillway, you'd look on Spillway Rd at the Pearl River.

A nice shopping area is by the Renaissance shopping center at Highland Colony Parkway at Old Agency Rd, and up Highland Colony to the Township development which is Highland Colony Pkwy and Township Ave.

I'm assuming you saw the "downtown Fondren" area centered around N State St and Duling Ave.

Downtown one of the prettier spots would be by the governors mansion, with views of both the old and new capitols. That's at Capitol Street and Congress Street. Congress St is a picturesque little side street with brick pavers and a view of the Capitol Dome.

From the air on google maps, you can see the huge medical centers in Jackson (Univ of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC), Baptist, St Dominics, and VA, all within a short distance of one another. This is the metro's biggest employment center.

Cutest shopping would be Highland Village, Banner Hall/LeMuria Bookstore, the Renaissance, downtown Fondren and the Township at Colony Park in Ridgeland. Several new districts are underway, including downtown Madison (Madison and Main coming 2027) and Waterpointe in Flowood. Also the Town of Livingston and West Main in Flora and Prado Vista in Ridgeland.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:54 AM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
I would have to go with Macon, almost entirely because I think it has the best terrain with some areas having nice wooded hills on the edge of the Piedmont and due to proximity to Atlanta and Savannah/the Georgia coast. All four cities are in the part of the Deep South with arguably the most miserable summer weather that has no mitigation from the coast or Appalachian region elevations.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:37 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
The 10-mile lake, which is supposedly set to be approved by the federal government in August, is tentatively referred to as the "One Lake" project. There are maps online. The 2,700 acre park next to it, set to open soon, is called Fannye Cook natural area.

Yes, the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods are ultra-charming. Some pretty streets for google street view would be Peachtree and Pinehurst near Belhaven University (which is basically the center of the Belhaven neighborhood) and Glenway Drive, Woodland Circle, and Hawthorne Drive in Fondren.

Next is Eastover. The center of Eastover would be at roughly Eastover Drive and Lake Circle. The District at Eastover is at Eastover Drive and I-55N.

A pretty view of the Reservoir would be a the Jackson Yacht Club, at the end of Yacht Club Road in Ridgeland. Another pretty view would be in the cool Lost Rabbit development in Madison (Old Trace Rd and West Florida Blvd). Or for a big view along the Spillway, you'd look on Spillway Rd at the Pearl River.

A nice shopping area is by the Renaissance shopping center at Highland Colony Parkway at Old Agency Rd, and up Highland Colony to the Township development which is Highland Colony Pkwy and Township Ave.

I'm assuming you saw the "downtown Fondren" area centered around N State St and Duling Ave.

Downtown one of the prettier spots would be by the governors mansion, with views of both the old and new capitols. That's at Capitol Street and Congress Street. Congress St is a picturesque little side street with brick pavers and a view of the Capitol Dome.

From the air on google maps, you can see the huge medical centers in Jackson (Univ of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC), Baptist, St Dominics, and VA, all within a short distance of one another. This is the metro's biggest employment center.

Cutest shopping would be Highland Village, Banner Hall/LeMuria Bookstore, the Renaissance, downtown Fondren and the Township at Colony Park in Ridgeland. Several new districts are underway, including downtown Madison (Madison and Main coming 2027) and Waterpointe in Flowood. Also the Town of Livingston and West Main in Flora and Prado Vista in Ridgeland.
Eastover really looks nice! I should've street viewed this area earlier, but better late than never. Also the view from the northbound lanes of Spillway Road over the Pearl River Bridge, was very nice. This is the street view I mean: https://goo.gl/maps/HEv8kD7pPAQkydiH7

I'll look up more of these views, later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City