Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 05:46 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Are they getting canceled over their ties with Kandolf Wetsler or are people simply no longer into Mugatu’s Derelicte and $1,000 rubber boots Tractor Supply sells for $10?
The first. And considering Balenciaga is just one of an assortment of brands, I find the cancellation to be implemented kind of odd. I suppose Kering is benefiting from a society being too lazy to do their own research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 06:54 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Jackson, MS has some neat shopping centers and districts.

Highland Village is an open-air shopping center built around open air courtyards. Recently they've added a number of new local restaurants that have outdoor seating spilling out in the sunny, breezy courtyards. They have tried to keep all the stores as either locally owned or national brands that can't be found anywhere else in the region. It's hard to beat as a place to shop because it feels comfortable, upscale, and authentic.

The Renaissance is an outdoor mall that is similar to many of the new ones being built across the country that all seem to have the same stores (Apple Store, Anthropologie, Brooks Brothers). That said, the Renaissance is prettier than most that I've seen, attempting to create the feel of a shopping street in a small down in France or Italy. It's a nice size, blessedly not overwhelmed with department stores or other giant buildings. Recently they've been replacing chain restaurants with locally owned higher end restaurants to give it a more genuine community feel. It's hard to beat as a place to shop.

Banner Hall is unique and centers around the beloved LeMuria bookstore along with several restaurants and high-end stores. Like the other two, it's small which makes it a pleasure to visit and do your shopping. It centers around a large two-story open space with restaurant tables and places for patrons to meet up. Very authentic, very nice.

Fondren - Authentic neighborhood in Jackson's historic district with a retro, art deco 1950's Main Street vibe. This is where many of the city's favorite local restaurants are located.

District at Eastover - Another one of those brand-new mixed use developments that is designed to create an authentic sense of place. They succeeded. The architecture is sleek and modern but they wisely put a town green at the center, with restaurants spilling out onto the green from three sides. The restaurants are cool and stores feel very local and high end at the same time. Apartments, hotels, and offices are part of it also. Like the others, it's a delightful size, not too big at all, yet a cool, unique place.

Town of Livingston - This one is designed to look like it's been there since the 19th century, with historic style buildings that look real, and a town square. Again, not overly big and very authentic and charming. This one was built on the outer edge of the metro area where high-income residential homes are beginning to dot the entire area which until recently was quite rural. So it will be interesting to see how this one grows and develops over the next couple of decades.

Under construction are Downtown Madison, MS which is designed with architecture from Stockholm, Sweden. It's projected to open in 2027 and will include hotels, offices, housing, performing arts center, and city hall.

Also under construction is Waterpointe which is supposed to function as the downtown for Flowood, MS. The design looks really cool; it seems they are learning how to create a place that feels like an actual vibrant small city center.
How do they deal with expropriation and redistribution? I figured there must be a lot of it happening in a city that bills itself as the most radical place in the universe.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:43 PM

23 posts, read 32,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Is there going to be a wave of Balenciaga closings?
I doubt it. People don't have long memories. Some other issue will pop up, and this will be forgotten.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:41 PM

578 posts, read 564,201 times
Default Jackson

Quote:
How do they deal with expropriation and redistribution? I figured there must be a lot of it happening in a city that bills itself as the most radical place in the universe.
Yes, the mayor in Jackson is unfortunate. Several of those nice shopping centers I listed are actually in Jackson city limits (while others are in neighboring suburbs).

The city is surviving, for one, by having the state create a brand-new state police force and taking over policing for important areas of the city. The state also took over maintenance and rebuilding of key roads. And now the feds blessedly have just taken over the water system.

The city of Jackson though is just about one-fourth of the metro area population. All the other cities in the region are virtually crime free and well managed by very pragmatic and responsible city governments.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:19 PM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times
Since it’s about high end shopping, I hope home goods/furniture/tableware/drink ware/interior design count as well.

I shop more interior design than clothing, and I mainly shop online but I go to these places for the high quality decor shopping: (so do many architects/interior designers/decorators.)

NYC (Greene St in SoHo) (I miss Conran Shop.) | Los Angeles (Melrose Avenue & La Cienega Biulevard) | Miami (Design District) | Houston (Old Katy Road) | D.C (14th St NW ) | Chicago (North Franklin St) | Dallas (Dragon St) | SF (Valencia St) | ATL (Howell Mill Road) | Round Top Tx (Highway 237) | NOLA (Magazine St) | Charleston SC (King St) | Hudson NY (Warren St)

(slightly OT): online shopping is a good way to take advantage of international currency, delivery and the hassle of driving in and out of the stores. I shopped a lot from Liberty London, you get free shipping from London to your doorstep when you shop more than $75. Many high end products such as Zafferano drinking ware/tumblers from Italy, Maison Balzac from Australia, many hand-blown artisanal Italian Murano glasses all have better price in London than in the States.

I’ve been shopping for my daughter since she was very little with Australian/Spanish/Swedish/Danish children’s labels directly from Australia, Spain and Sweden.-not only the quality was far better than the most of the typical U.S kids’ labels, they ended up being much reasonably priced.

If you live outside New York State and shop at Bergdorf Goodman or Manhasset, you pay no tax with online shopping with an out-of-state address.(unless your state has the restrictions otherwise.) so imagine how much I saved when I bought a Chanel flap bag Maxi.

Last edited by achtung baby; 12-06-2022 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-07-2022, 06:12 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Since it’s about high end shopping, I hope home goods/furniture/tableware/drink ware/interior design count as well.

I shop more interior design than clothing, and I mainly shop online but I go to these places for the high quality decor shopping: (so do many architects/interior designers/decorators.)

NYC (Greene St in SoHo) (I miss Conran Shop.) | Los Angeles (Melrose Avenue & La Cienega Biulevard) | Miami (Design District) | Houston (Old Katy Road) | D.C (14th St NW ) | Chicago (North Franklin St) | Dallas (Dragon St) | SF (Valencia St) | ATL (Howell Mill Road) | Round Top Tx (Highway 237) | NOLA (Magazine St) | Charleston SC (King St) | Hudson NY (Warren St)

(slightly OT): online shopping is a good way to take advantage of international currency, delivery and the hassle of driving in and out of the stores. I shopped a lot from Liberty London, you get free shipping from London to your doorstep when you shop more than $75. Many high end products such as Zafferano drinking ware/tumblers from Italy, Maison Balzac from Australia, many hand-blown artisanal Italian Murano glasses all have better price in London than in the States.

I’ve been shopping for my daughter since she was very little with Australian/Spanish/Swedish/Danish children’s labels directly from Australia, Spain and Sweden.-not only the quality was far better than the most of the typical U.S kids’ labels, they ended up being much reasonably priced.

If you live outside New York State and shop at Bergdorf Goodman or Manhasset, you pay no tax with online shopping with an out-of-state address.(unless your state has the restrictions otherwise.) so imagine how much I saved when I bought a Chanel flap bag Maxi.
Not only you get to take advantage of strong dollar but some European brands such as Barbour also charge absolutely outrageous prices in US - we’re talking $400 Ashby at Nordstrom vs $140 when shipped from Cox The Saddler.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times
Quote:
Not only you get to take advantage of strong dollar but some European brands such as Barbour also charge absolutely outrageous prices in US - we’re talking $400 Ashby at Nordstrom vs $140 when shipped from Cox The Saddler.
Yes. These beautiful Les Ottomans ikat drinking glasses I have been eyeing: a set of 4 retails $165 in Liberty’s in London with free shipping. It’s $62 for one individual cup sold in Bergdorf.

Not to mention many of these high end/high quality products aren’t even available in the US except some niche stores or online retails such as Matchesfashion/Prêt-a-porter/Yoox/Moda Operandi/1st dibs. (high price doesn’t always equal to high quality. Designers’ houses pay so much for retail space real estate which is one reason retails/malls/shopping centers have been dwindling in the U.S-unpopular opinion: I often felt many people go to the malls/shopping centers mostly for the dining/socializing/leisurely if they aren’t very resourceful with other recreational activities which might have been less cost-efficient as opposed to go to the town centers/shopping centers. Not to say it’s a bad thing but it’s an observation.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:39 AM

44 posts, read 29,484 times
Alexander McQueen opens in Charlotte

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/hi...DCHCLS4C5QJRQ/

Old 12-23-2022, 12:14 PM

553 posts, read 409,456 times
Amiri is opening a store at 46 E. Walton in Chicago in January.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Colour View Post
Alexander McQueen opens in Charlotte

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/hi...DCHCLS4C5QJRQ/
I just walked by it yesterday. No reason to go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City