Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 12:41 AM

496 posts, read 350,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
It’s changing now.

Nordstrom hired Rickie de Sole earlier last year to be its new Fashion & Editorial Director. Rickie is extremely well-connected, her Father, Dominico de Sole, was previously President and CEO of Tom Ford’s Gucci and Prada. Rickie came from Prada, Thom Brown, Vogue and W magazine, since her taking over Nordstrom it’s been raising high profile and editorial visibility. Many new launch parties and exclusive presentations. I trust it’s aiming at the tier above Bloomingdale’s and reaching Neiman Marcus/Saks.

I miss Barneys.
Yeah they just did a Simone Rocha exclusive exhibit there, including exclusive advance sales of new season pieces and the debut of SR's menswear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 07:18 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
That nordstom’s flagship is the best store of all the nordstom in North America. Nordstrom’s was never meant to be a ultra high in Shopping DESTINATION, like Barneys, Saks Neimans. The Tower store in NYC is hella highend for Nordstrom standards.
I am aware of that... I live and shop in NYC.
I was talking in terms of NYC flagship department stores. (Saks, Bloomingdale's, Bergdorf, Macy's, Barney's (RIP), Neimans (RIP), Lord & Taylor (RIP).

Old 05-23-2023, 02:55 PM

254 posts, read 113,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am aware of that... I live and shop in NYC.
I was talking in terms of NYC flagship department stores. (Saks, Bloomingdale's, Bergdorf, Macy's, Barney's (RIP), Neimans (RIP), Lord & Taylor (RIP).

If you are saying lord and Taylor and Macys offer more of luxury experience than The new Nordstroms flagship store then you have completely lost me. The product at Nordstrom Tower store is closer to Bloomingdale’s than Macys. I use to do visuals for saks and Nordstroms before going into interior design. Macys mens can not compete with the men store in terms of luxury offering same with women.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:03 PM

254 posts, read 113,901 times
Quote:
It’s changing now.

Nordstrom hired Rickie de Sole earlier last year to be its new Fashion & Editorial Director. Rickie is extremely well-connected, her Father, Dominico de Sole, was previously President and CEO of Tom Ford’s Gucci and Prada. Rickie came from Prada, Thom Brown, Vogue and W magazine, since her taking over Nordstrom it’s been raising high profile and editorial visibility. Many new launch parties and exclusive presentations. I trust it’s aiming at the tier above Bloomingdale’s and reaching Neiman Marcus/Saks.

I miss Barneys.
They already sell a lot of high end brands there. Its not that far behind bloomies in terms of what it offers. They just don’t have a lot of the licensed boutiques like bloomies.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
If you are saying lord and Taylor and Macys offer more of luxury experience than The new Nordstroms flagship store then you have completely lost me. The product at Nordstrom Tower store is closer to Bloomingdale’s than Macys. I use to do visuals for saks and Nordstroms before going into interior design. Macys mens can not compete with the men store in terms of luxury offering same with women.
Point out where I said any of that... You completely misinterpreted my post.

Moving on...

Old 05-23-2023, 04:31 PM

44 posts, read 29,346 times
Famed Century 21 reopens New York flagship after bankruptcy, 3 year hiatus

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/s...reopening.html

Old 05-23-2023, 05:22 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
They already sell a lot of high end brands there. Its not that far behind bloomies in terms of what it offers. They just don’t have a lot of the licensed boutiques like bloomies.
They do now, (as I posted above that Rickie de Sole was brought in to raise the visibility and add more glam factor starting early 2022 as a part of brand revamp.) and you’re right there are more high end labels. I’ve never found Bloomingdale’s all that upscale, it’s kind of middling. (I’ve always been a Barneys, Bergdorf and Harrod’s/Liberty’s/le Bon Marche kind of girl.)

Fellow fashion (PR side)-moving-to-interior-design converter here.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
They do now, (as I posted above that Rickie de Sole was brought in to raise the visibility and add more glam factor starting early 2022 as a part of brand revamp.) and you’re right there are more high end labels. I’ve never found Bloomingdale’s all that upscale, it’s kind of middling. (I’ve always been a Barneys, Bergdorf and Harrod’s/Liberty’s/le Bon Marche kind of girl.)

Fellow fashion (PR side)-moving-to-interior-design converter here.
The flagship Bloomingdale's in Manhattan is more luxurious than the flagship Nordstrom, but an average Bloomingdale's is generally more basic than an average Nordstrom.
And Bloomingdale's has a far superior home department (for those that care). But both stores perfectly fill that accessible luxury niche.

Walking by the old Barney's on Madison still makes me sad. I still hope one day they come back.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:39 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The flagship Bloomingdale's in Manhattan is more luxurious than the flagship Nordstrom, but an average Bloomingdale's is generally more basic than an average Nordstrom.
And Bloomingdale's has a far superior home department (for those that care). But both stores perfectly fill that accessible luxury niche.

Walking by the old Barney's on Madison still makes me sad. I still hope one day they come back.
Barney's menswear was especially good. Miss Barney's

Old 05-23-2023, 06:52 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
^^Agreed on menswear. Barneys made excellent black tote bags with military touch. And their lightweight cashmere sweaters are so fine and well-made they last more than 15 yrs!

cpmop is Barneys on Madison & 61st still empty? What is it now? I had moved away and never went “up there” even when flying back.

We often said “In Barneys We Trust”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City