Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 11:20 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ll go ahead and put together the new list for 2021. Even though there were definite closures, given the clientele of these types of brands, it probably won’t be too too much. I’ll add all of the brands currently listed above on this list. If there’s any you think should be added, go ahead and comment it. Here’s the criteria:

No local stores. Must be international or at least coast to coast. The only exception to one locations stores that in placing in the list are those that people travel to shop at and potentially lure celebrities. Examples are Johnny Dang and If&Co. potentially YZY depending on how they turn out once they lay he. The celebrity clientele for these are large enough to earn a spot.

Only luxury tier clothes. Mid tier brands such as Ralph Lauren aren’t to be included.

The activity (casual, business, outdoors) doesn’t matter, just the tier in the luxury spectrum.

Current Brands are shown in the last list post, respond with any you think should be added.
If Ralph Lauren stores are not included you might as well exclude many on the list. Ralph Lauren sells their Purple Label line which is most definately high-end, beautiful clothing with a high price point and all made in Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 05:57 PM

497 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
If Ralph Lauren stores are not included you might as well exclude many on the list. Ralph Lauren sells their Purple Label line which is most definitely high-end, beautiful clothing with a high price point and all made in Italy.
Agree! Ralph Lauren is not Polo Ralph Lauren -- Boutiques with only the name RALPH LAUREN, no "Polo" before it, should definitely be included. I just looked at their website and currently RALPH LAUREN boutiques are in Miami*3 (Bal Harbour, Sunrise, Palm Beach), Boston, Aspen, LA*3 (Beverly Hills, Palm Desert, Costa Mesa), NY*7 (Central Valley, East Hampton, Manhasset, Manhattan Flagships*2, Short Hills, Southampton), Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly (King of Prussia), San Diego, DC (McLean), Naples, Phoenix.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:05 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Ralph Lauren's Purple Line is definitely worthy of making the list. The reason I didn't include it is because even the "non polo" Ralph Lauren has some (relatively) cheaper options that make the brand lose some status. Gucci for example, doesn't have a cheaper line, giving the brand more status. But if people here disagree, I'll go ahead and add it. With obviously only the Ralph Lauren stores and not the Polo. All of the top cities have a store, so this one wouldn't have affected the rankings either way.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Ralph Lauren's Purple Line is definitely worthy of making the list. The reason I didn't include it is because even the "non polo" Ralph Lauren has some (relatively) cheaper options that make the brand lose some status. Gucci for example, doesn't have a cheaper line, giving the brand more status. But if people here disagree, I'll go ahead and add it. With obviously only the Ralph Lauren stores and not the Polo. All of the top cities have a store, so this one wouldn't have affected the rankings either way.
Yeah I agree with you on this as well. I think for the sake of ranking the cities, this one wouldn't add anything because almost all major cities have a non-polo store and there are too many sub-labels that simply don't cut the luxury threshold...maybe only the NY flagship is worth counting...

Old 07-05-2021, 09:01 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
I also agree with leaving Ralph Lauren for all the above reasons.

Did we add department stores in the previous rankings (I didn't see scrolling back). It would be good to add since there were a lot of closings since 2019.

I am thinking Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom. (nothing lower than Nordstrom, and no local boutique department stores).

Old 07-05-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Did we add department stores in the previous rankings (I didn't see scrolling back). It would be good to add since there were a lot of closings since 2019.

I am thinking Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom. (nothing lower than Nordstrom, and no local boutique department stores).
I posted one separately. I can lump them together this time.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:09 PM

What about car dealerships like Bugatti, etc?

A separate list for luxury steakhouses like Mastro’s, Del Friscos, Fogo de Chao, The Palm, Fleming’s, etc. would be interesting.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What about car dealerships like Bugatti, etc?

A separate list for luxury steakhouses like Mastro’s, Del Friscos, Fogo de Chao, The Palm, Fleming’s, etc. would be interesting.
Fine dining list would be interesting!
Not familiar with cars lol

Old 07-05-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

the luxury level of the latter two is much more inconsistent than the former two. There are some Bloomingdales/Nordstroms I know that certainly shouldn't be called luxury...

Old 07-05-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
the luxury level of the latter two is much more inconsistent than the former two. There are some Bloomingdales/Nordstroms I know that certainly shouldn't be called luxury...
The original Bloomingdales and Nordstrom correct? Not the discount version? Either way, you're right though. Sak's is a notch over Neiman Marcus and the gap between those two and Bloomingdales and Nordstrom is fairly large. With Nordstrom being at the bottom of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City