Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 10:23 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Maybe it’s urban snobbery but if you didn’t tell me where those videos were I would not even be thinking city
It must be because what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 10:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It doesn't look very suburban to me.
And what does name recognition have to do with the type of shopping? Besides River Oaks District is very new. Obviously it won't have the name recognitions of shopping District that have been in existence for decades.
Also, what did downtown have to with anything?
It's closer to the center of population than Downtown is anyway.

We are discussing shopping, not urbanity. And if downtown was so loved they would all be packed, instead of few legacy cities and small towns having active downtowns.
The downtown argument is overplayed. Relatively few care whether things are downtown or not.
People who are from legacy cities try to make it sound like the be all and end all because it is a one up for their city. But no one cares
Destination shopping implies a destination that is desirable and well trafficked and likely somewhat of an experience. Not a suburban complex outside of the city's central area. A destination has name recognition. Sure there are a few legacy cities with active downtowns and boston is one of them. Hence why it's more expensive qnddeaitablle than 99.9% of US locales. Shopping on Newbury Street is a clout thing to the point where people of lower socioeconomic status simply want to be seen ON newbury. It's central to a visit in Boston as well...

So yea I think urbanism is not underrated here and the snobbery is fully warranted.

How that doesn't look suburban when it plush with parking lots and looks like a premium outlets shopping center is..confusing, to me...? It literally surrounded by ugly garden style apartments and then single family homes...itd feel like pulling up to a fancy strip mall.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:25 AM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
It must be because what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
It doesn’t..the thread is just about cities... I wouldn’t have guessed those were in a city. If they are great

Old 09-19-2021, 10:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I just disagree all around. Seaport isn't the well-known district it's Newbury Street. I don't even like the seaport, an it's way more for dining than shopping.

We're in the Uber era in Houston yo can barely get an Uber in Boston. Your shopping experience should be woven into the urban fabric/experience. An Uber ride to a suburban shopping center? Ehhh naw. Doesn't seem awesome. Both the videos you showed confirm as much.

Newbury Street is way closer to anything in NYC or Miami than River Oaks by a wide wide margin. The real estate on Newbury is going for closer to 5th Ave or south beach than River Oaks or Highland Oark (these places just SOUND boring, like an apartment complex...)Add Boylston Street and the high-end urban malls in that area as well. It's just a glamourous experience. Newbury Street has been ‘Newbury Street’ for decades. It's the typenonplave people form or of town ask to see just to walk down it and window shop. How old is River Oaks and is it well-known in that eay? Shopping in the seaport? Idk about that.

So in just talking about the future direction once Houston and Dallas and Vegas all lose something. Idk if it put bosotn over the top or not but it's not a positive for Houston or Dallas.

By pretty much any measure you would rate Newbiry Street as a make urban shopping experience than anywhere in the Sun Belt. Perhaps there are more options in auto centric and much larger Houston but they're are many intangibles at play here as well. If were talking “destination” shopping as the question asks....
Except that shopping there is an experience. Preferring Uber over metro is a very popular opinion. Who’s to say they’re wrong and you’re right? North Miami Beach is far less urban in design than Seaport or Newbury street and it’s FAR more sought out than anything in Boston. People don’t go there and say “well the shopping here is amazing but I had to get a chofer rather than public transport so I would prefer Boston”. Lol. It’s not that this opinion doesn’t exist, some people would prefer that. But far less would prefer Boston over Miami in this regard. If they demand an ultra urban shopping district, they’ll go to 5th Avenue not Boston.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Maybe it’s urban snobbery but if you didn’t tell me where those videos were I would not even be thinking city
Exactly. It just doesn't jive with my understanding of high end/luxury shopping because in used to New York and Boston. I see much less daylight between those two in the shopping experience than I do Vegas and boston.

I'm strip plaza/suburban development averse. It makes me think suburban soccer mom. I'm probably wrong on the clientele because I've never been to Houston or shopped in Dallas. But in Vegas that high-end shopping vibe just felt a lil fabricated/tacky. A lot less impressive than established urban districts.. but yes-there are options.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Exactly. It just doesn't jive with my understanding of high end/luxury shopping because in used to New York and Boston. I see much less daylight between those two in the shopping experience than I do Vegas and boston.

I'm strip plaza/suburban development averse. It makes me think suburban soccer mom. I'm probably wrong on the clientele because I've never been to Houston or shopped in Dallas. But in Vegas that high-end shopping vibe just felt a lil fabricated/tacky. A lot less impressive than established urban districts.. but yes-there are options.
The “and Boston” is the problem

Old 09-19-2021, 10:31 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Destination shopping implies a destination that is desirable and well trafficked and likely somewhat of an experience. Not a suburban complex outside of the city's central area. A destination has name recognition. Sure there are a few legacy cities with active downtowns and boston is one of them. Hence why it's more expensive qnddeaitablle than 99.9% of US locales. Shopping on Newbury Street is a clout thing to the point where people of lower socioeconomic status simply want to be seen ON newbury. It's central to a visit in Boston as well...

So yea I think urbanism is not underrated here and the snobbery is fully warranted.

How that doesn't look suburban when it plush with parking lots and looks like a premium outlets shopping center is..confusing, to me...? It literally surrounded by ugly garden style apartments and then single family homes...itd feel like pulling up to a fancy strip mall.
That BS because
1. The thread is not about Destination Shopping, it's about high end shopping.

2. Few cities have their downtowns as the central area.

It's obvious you are not familiar with these cities because you don't know what's central to them.

No one wants to be funneled into downtown, they want to be where the action is at. And having parking is a plus for them, not a minus. Not everywhere is Boston and certainly not everyone is of your mindset. This downtown crazy is popular on Citydata not out in the real world. If people could drive into the store they would.

The argument about it being expensive because it's downtown is the worst. If I buy something pricey I would expect it to be pricey because it is quality or highly sort after, not because I bought it downtown. That's just silly.
The thread is about high end stores, not all of these elitist side tracks.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Except that shopping there is an experience. Preferring Uber over metro is a very popular opinion. Who’s to say they’re wrong and you’re right? North Miami Beach is far less urban in design than Seaport or Newbury street and it’s FAR more sought out than anything in Boston. People don’t go there and say “well the shopping here is amazing but I had to get a chofer rather than public transport so I would prefer Boston”. Lol. It’s not that this opinion doesn’t exist, some people would prefer that. But far less would prefer Boston over Miami in this regard. If they demand an ultra urban shopping district, they’ll go to 5th Avenue not Boston.
Not really saying they’re wrong I just don’t see a place like river oaks or highland park as a destination. It sound boring, it’s suburban and it’s really new. To Dallas and Vegas’ credit they have longstanding traditions and reputations for high end shopping. Houston really doesn’t.

Newbury street and the like are more where you’re going to see them as a visitor and more visually interesting and very likely more well known-thus more of a destination. Is it going to be as much of a destination as south beach or 5th Ave? No but..I never said it was. But it’s as close as you will get and not be there.

Again with Seaport, yes the yachts and ocean views are spectacular for dining but shopping, I think, is an afterthought. A lot of people in Boston/from Boston dislike the seaport because it’s viewed as garish tacky and inaccessible.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 AM

The Bal Harbour Shops are far less urban in design than Newbury St but neither Boston nor Houston nor Dallas have a place in the argument for where people prefer to shop

Old 09-19-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That BS because
1. The thread is not about Destination Shopping, it's about high end shopping.

2. Few cities have their downtowns as the central area.

It's obvious you are not familiar with these cities because you don't know what's central to them.

No one wants to be funneled into downtown, they want to be where the action is at. And having parking is a plus for them, not a minus. Not everywhere is Boston and certainly not everyone is of your mindset. This downtown crazy is popular on Citydata not out in the real world. If people could drive into the store they would.

The thread is about high end stores, not all of these elitist side tracks
I touched a nerve? I gave my opinion and you went sort of wild with it. Thread is best high end shopping destinations. Not place with the most high end stores. Two very different things.

The snobbery and elitism is definitely warranted. This entire thread is based in various forms of snobbery and elitism. So idk how you’re gonna be mad about that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City