Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2022, 07:26 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

^ Willow Grove Park, PA.

Only 32 stores, lower than I thought. Nordstrom has rapidly expanded, but Bloomingdale's seems to stay in mostly larger markets. I can't think of any recent openings of full-line stores.

We should do Saks next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 07:53 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Can someone explain why Bloomingdales is no longer in the Texas market? Is it because of Neiman-Marcus? Also, if somebody does Saks, you will see a noticeable missing city of Dallas. Wonder if that is also because of Neiman-Marcus.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Can someone explain why Bloomingdales is no longer in the Texas market? Is it because of Neiman-Marcus? Also, if somebody does Saks, you will see a noticeable missing city of Dallas. Wonder if that is also because of Neiman-Marcus.
I think Bloomingdale's exited Texas in the 90s, not sure why, or why they haven't returned? Bloomingdale's is heavy with coastal locations and hasn't expanded to many interior parts of the country, besides Chicago.

I know this day in age isn't ideal for department store expansions, but I'm sure a full-line Bloomingdale's would do well in Dallas or Houston.

A relative just visited NYC from Nashville, she said she wishes Nashville had a Bloomingdale's. They have a Nordstrom, but she also likes certain brands not found at Nordstrom.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:45 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
DFW has no Bloomingdales or Saks? That's very odd imo.

Saks Fifth Avenue Full Service store locations:

Canada: 3

Calgary, AB
Toronto, ON(2)

Mexico & Central America: 2
Mexico City, DF

Midwestern US:7
Chicago, IL
Beachwood, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
St Louis, MO
Troy, MI

Northeastern US: 8
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Boston, MA
Chevy Chase, MD
East Rutherford, NJ
Huntington Station, NY
Greenwich, CT
McLean, VA
New York, NY

Southern US: 16
Atlanta, GA
Bal Harbour, FL
Birmingham, AL
Boca Raton, FL
Houston TX
Miami, FL(2)
Naples, FL
New Orleans, LA
Palm Beach, FL
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Raleigh, NC
Richmond, VA
San Antonio TX
Sarasota, FL
Tulsa, OK

Western US: 7
Beverly Hills, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Honolulu, HI
Las Vegas, NV
Palm Desert, CA
Phoenix, AZ
San Francisco, CA

Old 10-20-2022, 12:16 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DFW has no Bloomingdales or Saks? That's very odd imo.

Saks Fifth Avenue Full Service store locations:

Canada: 3

Calgary, AB
Toronto, ON(2)

Mexico & Central America: 2
Mexico City, DF

Midwestern US:7
Chicago, IL
Beachwood, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
St Louis, MO
Troy, MI

Northeastern US: 8
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Boston, MA
Chevy Chase, MD
East Rutherford, NJ
Huntington Station, NY
Greenwich, CT
McLean, VA
New York, NY

Southern US: 16
Atlanta, GA
Bal Harbour, FL
Birmingham, AL
Boca Raton, FL
Houston TX
Miami, FL(2)
Naples, FL
New Orleans, LA
Palm Beach, FL
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Raleigh, NC
Richmond, VA
San Antonio TX
Sarasota, FL
Tulsa, OK

Western US: 7
Beverly Hills, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Honolulu, HI
Las Vegas, NV
Palm Desert, CA
Phoenix, AZ
San Francisco, CA
Supposively, Neiman Marcus does everything in their power to prevent those from entering. Not sure how true that is

Old 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM

496 posts, read 350,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Supposively, Neiman Marcus does everything in their power to prevent those from entering. Not sure how true that is
Not in New York haha. The only NM shut down during the pandemic, and even though Bergdorf Goodman was bought by NM, it still has much sovereignty as a separate brand. NM is the only major department store chain that is not present in NYC

Old 10-20-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Not in New York haha. The only NM shut down during the pandemic, and even though Bergdorf Goodman was bought by NM, it still has much sovereignty as a separate brand. NM is the only major department store chain that is not present in NYC
I just read that Neiman Marcus closed their Manhattan and Walnut Creek stores as part of their bankruptcy proceedings during the pandemic. Both were among their newest locations.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I just read that Neiman Marcus closed their Manhattan and Walnut Creek stores as part of their bankruptcy proceedings during the pandemic. Both were among their newest locations.
Yup. And they closed a few others outside of DC, Seattle and I think Boston? Those weren't new stores though. But per business news, it appears the brand is in a healthy state. Good to hear, I'd be sad to lose another famed department store (like Barney's and Lord & Taylor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
It was a mistake for Neiman Marcus to open their store in Hudson Yards.
If they return to Manhattan, they should take over the former Barney's space at 60th/Madison. Wiser to stay in proximity to other luxury department stores (Saks, Bergdorf, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom).

Old 10-20-2022, 02:01 PM

I guess the moral of the story is retail is very cut throat-you sink or swim. the loss of Barneys NY still hurts.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:26 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Saks or Bloomingdales would be cool for DFW. I get that they like the Neiman Marcus legacy buy it being the only of the 3 in the region (supposing we aren’t counting Nordstrom) holds them back from some potential. Meanwhile Houston has one of the best Saks Fifth Aves in the country. In my honest opinion, Saks is easily the best of the luxury department stores in 2022
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City