Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DC vs. Houston
DC 57 72.15%
Houston 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times

Advertisements

Dc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 09:58 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I love DC and would recommend it, but Houston is a lot more laid back and is a better place to have more disposable income and the warmer weather is definitely a plus. Great food and culture in Houston as well. I am a person who loves having a car, so any public transit oriented cities are not anywhere I’d live. It just depends on what you prefer personally.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:05 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I love DC and would recommend it, but Houston is a lot more laid back and is a better place to have more disposable income and the warmer weather is definitely a plus. Great food and culture in Houston as well. I am a person who loves having a car, so any public transit oriented cities are not anywhere I’d live. It just depends on what you prefer personally.
I love having a car too, but I will admit it's nice to at least have the option of living without a car.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:44 AM

402 posts, read 369,745 times
DC running away with this.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:13 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
To be clear, DC has jobs related to all industries. That includes advocacy, lobbying, regulatory, etc. in any industry or interest in existence.

Also, Houston has a lot more than oil & gas...
Uh... ya...

Old 12-07-2020, 11:35 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Houston is not a bad city at all but DC takes this comparison. DC is younger, has better transit, is more urban and walkable while also having great suburbs. You can take day trips to NYC as it’s only 3 hours away by train. I’m personally hoping to move there in the future after all I’ve learned about the city.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:44 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston is a lot more laid back and is a better place to have more disposable income and the warmer weather is definitely a plus. Great food and culture in Houston as well. I am a person who loves having a car, so any public transit oriented cities are not anywhere I’d live. It just depends on what you prefer personally.
You can have a car and also have public transit options. It's actually really nice. When I was in Boston and had little kids, we strollered them everywhere and hopped on to the subway to go to museums, parks etc. The journey was part of the adventure. Much more pleasant than trying to schlep 2 kids into their carseats, screaming in the backseat. Much more pleasant.

Cities with public transit also have more walkable sidewalks. Here in Seattle, even in Covid, we can take the kids out walking to destinations beyond just our immediate neighborhood. It's also safer because there are cars parked next to the curb so the the sidewalks aren't immediately against the street.

Having a car is important too, but I don't think a car-only existence is that enriching for kids or enjoyable for the parents.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:02 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
You can have a car and also have public transit options. It's actually really nice. When I was in Boston and had little kids, we strollered them everywhere and hopped on to the subway to go to museums, parks etc. The journey was part of the adventure. Much more pleasant than trying to schlep 2 kids into their carseats, screaming in the backseat. Much more pleasant.

Cities with public transit also have more walkable sidewalks. Here in Seattle, even in Covid, we can take the kids out walking to destinations beyond just our immediate neighborhood. It's also safer because there are cars parked next to the curb so the the sidewalks aren't immediately against the street.

Having a car is important too, but I don't think a car-only existence is that enriching for kids or enjoyable for the parents.
Not to mention D.C. imo has a really nice subway system. It's not at all like NYC where you'll encounter the mentally unstable and bumper to bumper madness that comes with riding the subway there. Honestly if me and my Wife wasn't so close to our families I'd probably be living in D.C. or considering it more as a realistic place to live. I love Houston and think it's underrated on C-D but D.C. just offers more.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:23 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
I lived in DC when I was single and in my 20s. Everyone was from somewhere else and fairly intelligent. It was very social, and I made a lot of friends. Biggest drawback is the government/gov't contractor focus, but aside from that don't think you can beat it if you're at that point in life. Was like extended college.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:50 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

I'm the opposite. I would love to live carless as a single person but the idea of going to museums or zoos on a subway terrifies me. It's not the crowd or fear of having them fall into the tracks, but the hassle of having to manage their behavior for the entirety of the trip. In cars at least you're in a bubble and can relax even if your kids are screaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City