Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 04:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
So we're ranked 2nd on your list, yet you still refer to us by an outdated derisive nickname? Cool, cool.
It is what it is

Old 03-14-2021, 05:59 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,655,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Name a city in the STL area that matches up to Indian Hill then?
Ladue is pretty close. There are lots of affluent suburbs of every city, including St. Louis. But you’re seriously ranking these cities based on your personal knowledge (or lack thereof) of their wealthy suburbs?

Old 03-14-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Ladue is pretty close. There are lots of affluent suburbs of every city, including St. Louis. But you’re seriously ranking these cities based on your personal knowledge (or lack thereof) of their wealthy suburbs?
Minneapolis is first because of the University of Minnesota, hands down, plus it's the only one of the 4 that has all 4 pro sports franchises (NBA,NFL,NHL,MLB)

Old 03-14-2021, 07:24 PM

994 posts, read 779,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll go rummaging through the info on the link between Case Western Reserve and Cleveland Clinic/Lerner later (and I haven't yet read down to the section of the report that deals specifically with universities that have large medical or engineering research programs, which it has separate sets of rankings for).

But you do make a strong case that Minnesota is something of a Rodney Dangerfield among top American research universities.

I'd say that the same can be said of St. Louis as a city/metro in this discussion, however. And while Minnesota's size means that it would have a greater impact on a community than a Washington U in St. Louis would, I don't think that any community planner would turn down having a school of WUSTL's size and caliber as a community anchor. I can tell you from having been there that what is probably the liveliest outlying shopping/dining/entertainment district in St. Louis, the Delmar Loop district in next-door University City (guess what university the city's named for), gets a lot of its energy from Wash U just a few blocks to its south. (My mother lived in a beautiful turn-of-the-20th-century gated community of substantial brick homes that straddled the St. Louis-University City border in between the Delmar Loop and the Wash U campus when she was stationed at the St. Louis VA Medical Center.) Most of the west-central part of St. Louis and U-City, including the Washington University campus itself, developed either during the runup to or around the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Centennial Exposition (the "St. Louis World's Fair") and the concurrent Olympic Games, which left Forest Park as their legacy to the city.

I assume there's a district similar to the Delmar Loop near the Minnesota campus in Minneapolis. What can you tell me about it?

(Minneapolis is on my need-to-visit list, partly because one of my favorite Harvard 1980 classmates is a native Minneapolitan who returned to pursue a successful medical career after graduation; she and I also share a first name.)
On the subject of higher education, not only does Cleveland get knocked on research rankings due to the Case Western/Clinic partnership not technically counting ... nor does Case Western's ties to University Hospital, which the two essentially share a campus with the Clinic being literally right down the road, though in Fairfax/Hough instead of University Circle.

But Cleveland for sure gets the short end of the med school stick as well since the Northeast Ohio regional medical school is out in the middle of nowhere.

Northeast Ohio has four separate state universities ... Kent State University/University of Akron/Cleveland State University/Youngstown State University ... that have a combined 70,000 undergrads. Kent State is the only traditional college type school of the three (and is a Cleveland-area school even if technically it's located in the Akron MSA). The others are in the downtowns of their respective cities. The four do share a medical school (NEOMED). Being that Kent State is the biggest of the four universities and has the highest overall profile of the four, it made sense to locate NEOMED near Kent State. But the fact the state located it in Rootstown instead of say Streetsboro, is mind boggling. At the time it was established, both Rootstown and Streetsboro were mostly rural (Rootstown still is outside NEOMED). Both technically would still be in the Akron MSA, though Streetsboro is for all intents and purposes a suburb of Cleveland via I-480.

That matters only because NEOMED does a disservice to potential students who live in Cleveland because there is no easy way to get there and it's a 55-minute drive from downtown (and over an hour from most of the metro). If it was built 10 or so miles to the north in Streetsboro, it would have opened it up, IMO, to more students and it still would not have been much more of a hindrance to students from Akron, Youngstown and Kent State in getting there.

For example:

Cleveland to Rootstown: 55 minutes
Cleveland to Streetsboro: 35 minutes

Kent to Rootstown: 16 minutes
Kent to Streetsboro: 11 minutes

Akron to Rootstown: 21 minutes
Akron to Streetsboro: 29 minutes

Youngstown to Rootstown: 32 minutes
Youngstown to Streetsboro: 44 minutes

Of course Canton (which doesn't have a four-year state university) was also included in the decision-making.

Canton to Rootstown: 36 minutes
Canton to Streetsboro: 48 minutes

In true Ohio fashion, the state put NEOMED in the most extreme location for its largest population base in the region. ... And at the same time also made it slightly longer to get to for students who attend its biggest four-year university. But with that, Cleveland, fwiw, still has every bit a right to claim NEOMED as Akron, Youngstown or Canton do, since the school was put in place specifically to try to make it a regional medical school ... hence NEO being Northeast Ohio and MED being medical.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:13 PM

396 posts, read 653,397 times
Quote:
Name a city in the STL area that matches up to Indian Hill then?
Ladue surpasses Indian Hill by a fairly wide margin

population-

Ladue - 8,521

Indian Hill - 5,785

More importantly - Median home list price:

Ladue - $1,202,740

Indian Hill - $743,893

Source

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...n-every-state/

I did not any additional research but would guess StL has several other suburbs that would surpass that 743,893 median The StL suburbs of Clayton, Huntliegh and Frontenac probably exceed

Old 03-14-2021, 09:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
It is what it is
But, you only singled out Cleveland by the outdated nickname for the city. In my experience, when people do that; they either have a bias or some type of hatred towards the city. You didn't write nicknames for the other 3 cities. So, it seems to me you have a stereotypical view of Cleveland; maybe you visited it and didn't like it, maybe you've only know Cleveland from what you've seen/read online or you're judging from a sports perspective (LeBron leaving 2x or Joakim Noah viral comments on the city). Elaborate.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 03-14-2021 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
But, you only singled out Cleveland by the outdated nickname for the city. In my experience, when people do that; they either have a bias or some type of hatred towards the city. You didn't write nicknames for the other 3 cities. So, it seems to me you have a stereotypical view of Cleveland; maybe you visited it and didn't like it, maybe you've only know Cleveland from what you've seen/read online or you're judging from a sports perspective (LeBron leaving 2x or Joakim Noah viral comments on the city). Elaborate.
I'm an ex Great Laker, born and raised in Rochester, NY. Left as soon as I could, so not too fond of the whole region. I don't even know any nicknames for the other 3, don't take it personal

Old 03-15-2021, 01:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
Ladue surpasses Indian Hill by a fairly wide margin

population-

Ladue - 8,521

Indian Hill - 5,785

More importantly - Median home list price:

Ladue - $1,202,740

Indian Hill - $743,893

Source

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...n-every-state/

I did not any additional research but would guess StL has several other suburbs that would surpass that 743,893 median The StL suburbs of Clayton, Huntliegh and Frontenac probably exceed
Yes, Ladue is just one of a cluster of fantastically wealthy West County suburbs. They include Town and Country, which is even wealthier than Ladue (T&C MHI: $192k/year; Ladue MHI: $188k/year) and Frontenac (MHI: $149k). Clayton (the St. Louis County seat) isn't as affluent, but its MHI of about $99k/year ias nothing to sneeze at, nor is neighborhing Creve Coeur's $110k/year.

Shifting gears: I note that one of the criteria the OP listed as a yardstick was "'statement' architecture." None of the other cities being discussed here offer anything even remotely in the same league as St. Louis' Gateway Arch in this category. (Sorry, Terminal Tower: You're a local landmark. The Gateway Arch is a national icon, up there with the U.S. Capitol, Independence Hall, the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge.)

Old 03-15-2021, 02:48 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Yes, Ladue is just one of a cluster of fantastically wealthy West County suburbs. They include Town and Country, which is even wealthier than Ladue (T&C MHI: $192k/year; Ladue MHI: $188k/year) and Frontenac (MHI: $149k). Clayton (the St. Louis County seat) isn't as affluent, but its MHI of about $99k/year ias nothing to sneeze at, nor is neighborhing Creve Coeur's $110k/year.

Shifting gears: I note that one of the criteria the OP listed as a yardstick was "'statement' architecture." None of the other cities being discussed here offer anything even remotely in the same league as St. Louis' Gateway Arch in this category. (Sorry, Terminal Tower: You're a local landmark. The Gateway Arch is a national icon, up there with the U.S. Capitol, Independence Hall, the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge.)

Iconic architecture is more than one structure. And the Tower City complex, inclusive of the attached Landmark Office Towers and the old main post office, of which Terminal Tower is just a small part, has an architectural scope and historical significance that dwarfs the Gateway Arch. The massive project foreshadowed Rockefeller Center.

<<
The complex was designed by the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. Site preparation began in 1922, and approximately 2,200 buildings were demolished. Construction began in 1926, and structural work was completed by 1927. At the time, it was the second-largest excavation project in the world after the Panama Canal. The Terminal Tower opened to its first tenants in 1928. From its completion until 1964, the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in North America outside of New York City. Three other office buildings, the Medical Arts Building, Builders Exchange Building, and Midland Building, were built in addition to the Terminal Tower. The three Art Deco buildings are collectively known as the Landmark Office Towers Complex and were completed in 1929. In addition to the new buildings, the 1918 Hotel Cleveland was connected to the complex. Cleveland Union Terminal was dedicated and officially opened in 1930.
The facility included a number of retail stores and restaurants. Original designs for the complex show that at first the brothers did not plan on building an office tower within the complex. However, they eventually decided to build the 52-story Terminal Tower on the northeast side of the complex facing Public Square.
In 1931, the Higbee Company moved its main store to a new building connected to Cleveland Union Terminal. In 1934, the U.S. Postal Service moved its main Cleveland office to Union Terminal in a new building designed by the firm of Walker and Weeks. It was known as M.K. Ferguson Plaza under the ownership of Forest City Enterprises.[3]>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_City_Center

Cleveland has a number of repurposed classical bank buildings, wonderful arcades, Marcel Breur's only high-rise building, and, of course, I.M. Pei's iconic Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

https://www.clevelandgatewaydistrict.com/east4th

https://www.cleveland.com/architectu...r_the_ame.html

<<
When the building was completed in 1924, it was the second largest building in the world in terms of floor space, with more than 30 acres (12 hectares) of floor space.[3] It also included the world's largest bank lobby, which today remains among the largest in the world. The lobby features enormous marble Corinthian columns, barrel vaulted ceilings, and colorful murals by Jules Guerin.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_925_Building

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9_Cleveland

https://www.pcf-p.com/projects/rock-...me-and-museum/

Cleveland's Playhouse Square is acclaimed as the world's greatest theater restoration project.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

https://www.cleveland.com/architectu...heatre_lo.html

<<
This was the world's longest lobby serving a single theater,[2] and it contained four huge murals by James Daugherty, entitled The Spirit of Pageantry—Africa, The Spirit of Drama—Europe, The Spirit of Cinema—America, and The Spirit of Fantasy—Asia.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...leveland,_Ohio)

And Severance Hall, Cleveland's Taj Mahal, is renown in classical music circles as perhaps the most beautiful concert hall in the U.S.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr...htmlstory.html

Old 03-15-2021, 04:25 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,655,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Iconic architecture is more than one structure. And the Tower City complex, inclusive of the attached Landmark Office Towers and the old main post office, of which Terminal Tower is just a small part, has an architectural scope and historical significance that dwarfs the Gateway Arch. The massive project foreshadowed Rockefeller Center.
Lol. Look, Cleveland is a great city (one of my favorites!), but come on, man, you’re delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City