Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 07:54 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Important to consider NY and New England are more similar politically and have a coastal aspect. I just haven’t been to PA outside of Pittsburgh and Philly. Or NY outside of the capital region/Saratoga springs and NYC. Based off that I’d have to say anew England but I think more of NY state and more of PA the state is similar:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 08:01 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
New York and Pennsylvania are more alike than not.

Parts of upstate can share some of that New England vibe, but more of upstate feels like PA than NE. IMO

There is a reason NY is not a part of New England. And a NY'er would never consider themselves one either.

Of any two states, I would say historically Pennsylvania and New York have the most shared history.

And in the industrial era you can really tie that with the Pennsylvania Railroad and its deep connections with industry with Pennsylvania and New York State.

Fun Fact: Penn Station in NYC, is named for the Pennsylvania Railroad.
It's actually an on going debate in NY where they think New York is New England. I think it goes New Englanders would never consider NY, New England... No matter how much the yorkie complains.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:06 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Long Island is similar to New England? Suffolk County, maybe. But Nassau? That's just crazy talk.
I draw many Nassau County similarities to the North Shore of Boston, Plum Island, Greater Hartford and so on.

Granted, most of Long Island is just awful urban sprawl.. the coastal North and South shores remind me of Massachusetts or New England by a long shot. Not PA lol

Old 12-06-2020, 08:14 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It's actually an on going debate in NY where they think New York is New England. I think it goes New Englanders would never consider NY, New England... No matter how much the yorkie complains.
Oliver Cromwell believed it to be and he was never wrong.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:05 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
New York and Pennsylvania are more alike than not.

Parts of upstate can share some of that New England vibe, but more of upstate feels like PA than NE. IMO

There is a reason NY is not a part of New England. And a NY'er would never consider themselves one either.

Of any two states, I would say historically Pennsylvania and New York have the most shared history.

And in the industrial era you can really tie that with the Pennsylvania Railroad and its deep connections with industry with Pennsylvania and New York State.

Fun Fact: Penn Station in NYC, is named for the Pennsylvania Railroad.

I guess some of this is backed by geography. NY and PA are Mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I guess some of this is backed by geography. NY and PA are Mid-Atlantic.
NY is only mid Atlantic because it’s not New England and it has NYC...

It’s no more “mid” or “Atlantic” than most of New England.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:06 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Plattsburgh in location might be more like northern New England, but it feels like a post industrial city with grit that looks more like PA, but not like what a New England milltown looks). It feels very much like it's deep in Upstate NY, at least when contrasted with Burlington, the city across the lake. There are small towns on the shores of Lake Champlain in Upstate like Essex that do look and feel very New England'sh, Plattsburgh doesn't give that vibe.
Fascinating! I had a few friends in college from Plattsburgh, and it sounded like they crossed into VT frequently for recreation and whatnot. So I just assumed it had a New England-y vibe itself.

Anyway, I’m still interested in hearing more about Rochester vs the PA cities / the New England cities.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
I'd say east of Syracuse is more like New England. West is more like Pennsylvania.
It is kind of a dividing line or it can get blurry. For instance, would this village west of Syracuse look like it would belong in New or PA?: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Or this village east of Syracuse?: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

I dare say one could also ask if parts of NY have a Canadian influence as well, given the proximity to Ontario and Quebec in parts.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:17 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Fascinating! I had a few friends in college from Plattsburgh, and it sounded like they crossed into VT frequently for recreation and whatnot. So I just assumed it had a New England-y vibe itself.

Anyway, I’m still interested in hearing more about Rochester vs the PA cities / the New England cities.
I think that Rochester and Buffalo neighborhoods have a much greater physical resemblance to Hartford, Springfield or areas near Boston like Somerville than to Pennsylvania cities like Pittsburgh or Harrisburg.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is kind of a dividing line or it can get blurry. For instance, would this village west of Syracuse look like it would belong in New or PA?: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Or this village east of Syracuse?: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

I dare say one could also ask if parts of NY have a Canadian influence as well, given the proximity to Ontario and Quebec in parts.
Both of these look exactly like western ma but the first one more so.

Westfield MA
https://goo.gl/maps/qimj7HYz1XY211Vk7

Easthampton MA
https://goo.gl/maps/zLaVtXWiZXwmzqrw5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City