Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 12:28 PM

35,058 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think architecturally and in terms of layout, NY leans more masonry, and is characterized by cities with narrower, tightly-gridded streets. That's PA in a nutshell and the antithesis of New England, lol.
I spent three years in Boston and the streets, the the exception of Commonwealth Avenue, Beacon Street, Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston Street are narrow and tightly gridded, a lot like NY. I agree with you about Hartford and other Connecticut cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 01:59 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t know how to really classify this as I just kind of identify “northeast” and don’t know what makes one identifiably different from the other. I see Pennsylvania maybe as more hard-bitten and abandoned by industry than New England? I guess west of the adirondacks maybe it’s more PA and The City and far suburbs (Westchester county I think it is?) more New England?

Yeah, I basically agree with this. Although I would also throw in elements of NE Ohio and Mi around the great lakes. Architecturally, topographically, climate and culturally much of western NY/central NY is more Great Lakes than PA (which can feel very Appalachian once you leave the Piedmont.). PA obviously has a sliver of the GL lowlands around Erie Pa. But, Rochester feels a lot more like Grand Rapids or Lansing than Altoona or Scranton.

But on the whole a lot of this is splitting hairs. I tend to think of the NE as 5 sub regions:
1) the Northern mountains- rugged rural with peaked mountains and lakes. The ADKs through Maine.
2) lower New England - LI, CT, Ri, Ma. Densely populated with craggy coastlines and low glacial geography.
3) Mid-Atlantic- the densely populated Piedmont and costal plain of NJ and Eastern PA.
4) the Interior Appalachian - much of central, western and NE PA and NYs southern tier. Relatively rural with cities in the River Valleys. More eroded plateau and flat ridgelines than peaked mountains. Most conservative region. Can feel like WV.
6) the Great Lakes lowlands- relatively level land running from Erie PA along I90 to the roughly Syracuse. Feels like Southern Mi and Northern Ohio with its blue collar industrial heritage and non costal northern culture.

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-14-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 03:33 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I basically agree with this. Although I would also throw in elements of NE Ohio and Mi around the great lakes. Architecturally, topographically, climate and culturally much of western NY/central NY is more Great Lakes than PA (which can feel very Appalachian once you leave the Piedmont.). PA obviously has a sliver of the GL lowlands around Erie Pa. But, Rochester feels a lot more like Grand Rapids or Lansing than Altoona or Scranton.

But on the whole a lot of this is splitting hairs. I tend to think of the NE as 5 sub regions:
1) the Northern mountains- rugged rural with peaked mountains and lakes. The ADKs through Maine.
2) lower New England - LI, CT, Ri, Ma. Densely populated with craggy coastlines and low glacial geography.
3) Mid-Atlantic- the densely populated Piedmont and costal plain of NJ and Eastern PA.
4) the Interior Appalachian - much of central, western and NE PA and NYs southern tier. Relatively rural with cities in the River Valleys. More eroded plateau and flat ridgelines than peaked mountains. Most conservative region. Can feel like WV.
6) the Great Lakes lowlands- relatively level land running from Erie PA along I90 to the roughly Syracuse. Feels like Southern Mi and Northern Ohio with its blue collar industrial heritage and non costal northern culture.
The Northern Mountains --- also called the Great North Woods definitely connects New York State (including the Adirondacks, Tug Hill and the St Lawrence River/ Thousand Islands) all the way to Maine. This is a huge part of New York State and when you combine it with the Hudson Valley, Long Island and the Finger Lakes, you can make a case for New England. Other sections like the Catskills, the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers connect the state to Pennsylvania. Point is though - there is a whole state outside New York City that people seem to forget about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Woods

Old 07-14-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The Northern Mountains --- also called the Great North Woods definitely connects New York State (including the Adirondacks, Tug Hill and the St Lawrence River/ Thousand Islands) all the way to Maine. This is a huge part of New York State and when you combine it with the Hudson Valley, Long Island and the Finger Lakes, you can make a case for New England. Other sections like the Catskills, the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers connect the state to Pennsylvania. Point is though - there is a whole state outside New York City that people seem to forget about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Woods
Yeah, I basically agree with this. Although I would slot the Finger Lakes as more connected to PA. PA dosent really have natural lakes. But the gorges and rolling hills feels more like PA to me than NE.

The finger lakes is pretty unique. But feels to me sort of like PA hills and MI/WI inland lakes had a baby.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:33 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Yeah, I basically agree with this. Although I would slot the Finger Lakes as more connected to PA. PA dosent really have natural lakes. But the gorges and rolling hills feels more like PA to me than NE.

The finger lakes is pretty unique. But feels to me sort of like PA hills and MI/WI inland lakes had a baby.
Good point. Pennsylvania is overwhelmingly a river/ creek state, although a notable exception is the Poconos region, where smaller natural lakes do abound.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:06 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

On the other hand, many of the communities in the Finger Lakes have a built environment like New England small towns and cities. So, there is that as well.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:57 PM

Yeah, I can see some New England elements in the FLX towns. But, i think the southern portion of FLX matches up better with PA with the cities/villages mostly set in valleys. The northern portion reminds me of the great lakes region than NE. Gently rolling farm land with small blue collar cities on lakes. Some of the more upscale communities are often described as having a new England feel, but that also so true of upscale towns in Oh, Mi, Wi. NE is mostly forested mountain regions and densely populated costal lowlands. I can't really think of an area in NE that reminds me of say Geneva, NY or Seneca Falls.

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-14-2023 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2023, 07:17 AM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Yeah, I can see some New England elements in the FLX towns. But, i think the southern portion of FLX matches up better with PA with the cities/villages mostly set in valleys. The northern portion reminds me of the great lakes region than NE. Gently rolling farm land with small blue collar cities on lakes. Some of the more upscale communities are often described as having a new England feel, but that also so true of upscale towns in Oh, Mi, Wi. NE is mostly forested mountain regions and densely populated costal lowlands. I can't really think of an area in NE that reminds me of say Geneva, NY or Seneca Falls.
Places like Skaneateles and Marcellus come to mind right away. Seneca Falls seems to look similar to some of the similarly sized communities in VT from what I’ve seen. Geneva kind of reminds me a little bit of Westerly RI in terms of their Downtowns. So, those are some that I come up with.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:21 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You really have to break it down:

Long Island: New England
New York City: Pennsylvania
Westchester; New England
Hudson Valley: New England
Capital Region: New England
North Country: New England
Central New York: Pennsylvania
Southern Tier: Pennsylvania
Western New York: Pennsylvania

5:4 NE to PA Ratio.
I’m curious how nyc is similar to Pennsylvania while it’s surrounding suburbs are New England?

Old 07-15-2023, 05:22 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
PA sports also tend to be anti-NYC.
What parts of PA. Allentown area is sort of a Yankee town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City