Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 02:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Probably Orlando… only because I’ve been to Portland many times. I’d be interested in the non-Disney/Universal scene there.

Victoria BC or Anchorage AK?
Victoria. I saw a chateau featured on HGTV. The Fan Tan Alley looks interesting as well.

Richmond, VA or Des Moines, IA?

https://www.hgtv.com/design/ultimate...oria-bc-canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 10:18 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Anchorage... partly because I've been to Victoria before, but never to AK.
But also because I'll bet there's more to see in Anchorage.
Victoria is quaint and fun, but I suspect one can "see everything"
there in just a few days (although leaving town and exploring Vancouver Island
could take weeks -- pleasant weeks, to be sure).

Two Canada options:

Thunder Bay or the Bay of Fundy?
Bay of Fundy for sure. The massive tidal variations are fascinating to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Victoria. I saw a chateau featured on HGTV. The Fan Tan Alley looks interesting as well.

Richmond, VA or Des Moines, IA?

https://www.hgtv.com/design/ultimate...oria-bc-canada
I'm going to pick Des Moines, mainly because I haven't been there (other than driving through on the interstate) and I think it would be worth checking out. That said, Richmond is an interesting city and I could certainly enjoy spending more time there too.

And now, kind of a trick question: Arches National Park or Canyonlands National Park?

Old 03-27-2022, 12:48 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Bay of Fundy for sure. The massive tidal variations are fascinating to me.

I'm going to pick Des Moines, mainly because I haven't been there (other than driving through on the interstate) and I think it would be worth checking out. That said, Richmond is an interesting city and I could certainly enjoy spending more time there too.

And now, kind of a trick question: Arches National Park or Canyonlands National Park?
Easy, Canyonlands. Much more to explore, a lot less people. I’ve had trails completely to myself on Saturday evenings. Pro tip - sleep in, hang out in Moab or Monticello during the day, stay out of the sun, hydrate, show up to your trailhead at 2-4pm when everyone is leaving.

Rocky Mountain National Park vs. Olympic National Park

Last edited by Jame22; 03-27-2022 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-27-2022, 01:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Easy, Canyonlands. Much more to explore, a lot less people. I’ve had trails completely to myself on Saturday evenings. Pro tip - sleep in, hang out in Moab or Monticello during the day, stay out of the sun, hydrate, show up to your trailhead at 2-4pm when everyone is leaving.

Rocky Mountain National Park vs. Olympic National Park
Rocky Mountain. I'd love to catch a glimpse of bighorn sheep or rocky mountain goats. Kings Island in Cincinnati or World's of Fun in Kansas City?

Old 03-27-2022, 07:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Been to both. King's Island hands down. The are other nice nearby towns to explore as well.

Spring Break Time! Daytona Beach, FL or Panama City Beach, FL?

Old 03-28-2022, 05:01 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Daytona Beach as I've already been to PCB, which I wasn't too impressed about when I visited in 2011 (built up, but lacked big nightlife/shopping/cultural opportunities, and the food was meh, being a bit too far from New Orleans to take advantage of). The highlight of that trip was probably the go-kart track in town, which was among the best I witnessed. Daytona Beach not only has an even grander race track, but it also has a boardwalk, the ability to drive, and has proximity to Orlando/St. Augustine/Ocala/the Space Coast (where I've spring break twice before, albeit with my retired grandparents) for daytrips. PCB is pretty isolated in comparison.

A cruise from Miami to the Bahamas or a cruise from Seattle to Alaska?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:21 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
A cruise from Miami to the Bahamas or a cruise from Seattle to Alaska?
I'd do the Alaskan cruise because it's so different from what I'm used to. I'd love to check out the West Coast.

Bonner County, Idaho or Lake County, Montana?

Old 03-28-2022, 06:30 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'd do the Alaskan cruise because it's so different from what I'm used to. I'd love to check out the West Coast.

Bonner County, Idaho or Lake County, Montana?
I think I'd go with Bonner(and Sandpoint), since the closest ski resort is closer to Sandpoint, vs. Polson. Polson seems like a nice town too, but I think there's a little more going on in Sandpoint. I'd have nothing against stopping in Polson, as that town also looks nice.

This is a slight bit overdue(not to forget I accidentally posted one of these comparisons over on the where would you rather live thread, on this very CvC board), but I'm really bringing the within so many miles of an interstate comparisons back. Anyway, and keep in mind this is ONLY looking at the portions of these expressways from Saint Louis to JUST points east of this city all the way eastward. and this comparison does NOT for example, include parts of I-70 in Colorado or other more westward portions): within 30 miles of I-70(and I'll be nice, and also throw in I-97 and US 50 east to Ocean City, MD), or within 30 miles of I-64? And to clarify for the former if you choose that one: you can't pick any places within the city of Washington, DC.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 03-28-2022 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2022, 06:38 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,735 times
At least there are no bears in Lake County, WA (Owen Benjamin cult reference)

Disney World vs. The French Quarter

Old 03-28-2022, 07:36 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
At least there are no bears in Lake County, WA (Owen Benjamin cult reference)

Disney World vs. The French Quarter
Definitely the French Quarter.... haven't seen N.O. ever,
and it's said to be a truly unique city for the U.S. --
the architecture, the music, the cuisine...

Pittsburgh or Atlanta, for a first-time visitor?
(and which one is easier to get around in via transit?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City