Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:04 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I’d say scenery is definitely in COS favor as well. It’s right up against the mountains and has unique places like Garden of the God in the city limits.
COS is definitely a unique spot, nestled in a valley of a big 14er blob that's off by itself on the dividing line between plains and mountains. But it's a dry spot away from the other more postcardy sections of CO mountains. I'd say Tacoma is better geographically because it still has a nearby 14er (that's more scary being a volcano), but has options both east and west, instead running into ghost town America if you go one way. East of COS is the most ugh part of the entire Great Plains, no farms, just brown grass clumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 03:34 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
COS is definitely a unique spot, nestled in a valley of a big 14er blob that's off by itself on the dividing line between plains and mountains. But it's a dry spot away from the other more postcardy sections of CO mountains. I'd say Tacoma is better geographically because it still has a nearby 14er (that's more scary being a volcano), but has options both east and west, instead running into ghost town America if you go one way. East of COS is the most ugh part of the entire Great Plains, no farms, just brown grass clumps.
I think we might have to agree to disagree. Tacoma is pretty but COS (Mostly the western part of the city) is gorgeous. Plus Mt. Rainier is nowhere near as close to Tacoma as it looks in pictures. The plains part of the Springs isn’t as attractive but the Western part more than makes up for it imo.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:53 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Mt. Rainier is nowhere near as close to Tacoma as it looks in pictures. The plains part of the Springs isn’t as attractive but the Western part more than makes up for it imo.
Mount Rainier looks huge in Tacoma, it's only 40 miles away. The pictures aren't exaggerating.

Last edited by Guineas; 12-10-2020 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: 60 miles is driving, 40 miles away actually

Old 12-10-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Mount Rainier looks huge in Tacoma, it's only 60 miles away. The pictures aren't exaggerating.
I went to school in Tacoma. It looks nice depending on where you are but nothing like in pictures. On ground level at least. In COS the mountains are less than 5 miles away and Pike’s Peak is only about 12 miles away from Downtown. They’re pretty much right in your face. I do enjoy the water and hilly topography Tacoma has to offer though.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:51 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
I think we might have to agree to disagree. Tacoma is pretty but COS (Mostly the western part of the city) is gorgeous. Plus Mt. Rainier is nowhere near as close to Tacoma as it looks in pictures. The plains part of the Springs isn’t as attractive but the Western part more than makes up for it imo.
Pikes Peak is stunning in how close it is, but it's not the most recreationally accessible mountain, for drinking water and other reasons it's kind of a roped off mountain. A lot recreation for COS is actually in the foothills around Pikes Peak. The rest of the mountains of CO are about 2 hrs minimum away, which is a little bit of a haul. With 2 hrs of Tacoma, you can get to a lot of the cool stuff and more variety.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:38 AM

58 posts, read 87,285 times
- Crime/safety - Colorado Springs
- Schools - don't know
- Housing affordability - Colorado Springs no contest
- Downtown - Tacoma
- Restaurants/Nightlife - Restaurants Colorado Springs/Nightlife Tacoma
- Shopping - Wash, specialty stores in Denver/Seattle, basics in both, Amazon delivers to both
- Weather - Depends. Both places generally have fantastic summer & fall. Do you prefer your winters & spring to be cold/snow or cold/rainy? No it doesn't snow every day in Colo Spgs and it doesn't rain every day in Tacoma

Colo Spgs is twice as big as Tacoma so not sure its really a good comparison. Scenery is pretty in both places. Tacoma is much closer to an international airport. Traffic is worse in Tacoma. There is the Tacoma aroma sometimes.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:47 AM

211 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issaquahhiker View Post
There is the Tacoma aroma sometimes.
Today I learned about the Aroma of Tacoma! Interesting how it isn't quite pinpointed, and could be a mixture of things according to Wiki.

We have our own version of that here in CO, in Greeley, although they say it's not as bad these days.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:35 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
To each their own. I'm surprised with the support for Colorado Springs. Especially compared to Tacoma. Have yall been to both places? Would you really rather live in Colorado Springs? I'm not hating on it, but between the two Tacoma offers so much more.. The only exciting thing about COS is Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, and proximity to the mountains. All of which are amazing things. It just can't make up for the conservative, bland, city comparing it to Tacoma. Tacoma has great restaurants, unique districts, beaches, wildlife, a real functioning city center, a sense of community, mild weather, best views in the U.S. Like are you serious? lol We all have our opinion, I'm just a bit bewildered by people who are choosing COS.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:18 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
To each their own. I'm surprised with the support for Colorado Springs. Especially compared to Tacoma. Have yall been to both places? Would you really rather live in Colorado Springs? I'm not hating on it, but between the two Tacoma offers so much more.. The only exciting thing about COS is Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, and proximity to the mountains. All of which are amazing things. It just can't make up for the conservative, bland, city comparing it to Tacoma. Tacoma has great restaurants, unique districts, beaches, wildlife, a real functioning city center, a sense of community, mild weather, best views in the U.S. Like are you serious? lol We all have our opinion, I'm just a bit bewildered by people who are choosing COS.
I think it's partly because of the criteria the OP chose. Crime/safety, schools, housing affordability and weather for example clearly go to COS (weather is subjective but most prefer COS weather).

I think with different criteria Tacoma could be the one to come out on top.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Pikes Peak is stunning in how close it is, but it's not the most recreationally accessible mountain, for drinking water and other reasons it's kind of a roped off mountain. A lot recreation for COS is actually in the foothills around Pikes Peak. The rest of the mountains of CO are about 2 hrs minimum away, which is a little bit of a haul. With 2 hrs of Tacoma, you can get to a lot of the cool stuff and more variety.
I wasn't necessarily speaking about recreation. Although I generally agree. But when it comes to immediate scenery (Specifically mountain scenery), I don't see how The Springs doesn't take it. Google Maps isn't the most accurate depiction of a place, as both of these look more impressive in person, but this is just to give a general idea of how close Mt. Rainier and Pikes Peak are to each city core.

COS https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8329...7i16384!8i8192

Tacoma https://www.google.com/maps/@47.2540...56!5m2!1e4!1e2

I definitely agree that you can get to a lot of cool places from Tacoma and the region is beautiful. Areas like Point Defiance Park are pretty amazing. I guess it's not so much that COS easily takes it in the scenery department, but it's more immediate and dramatic imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City