Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the brightest future?
St. Louis 25 30.12%
Memphis 11 13.25%
Baltimore 47 56.63%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol yet it's winning this poll by 62%.
Yet losing in the real world due to its location. City Data isn't brining business to the Baltimore area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Where is the evidence that Baltimore's location helps it rather than hurts it?

Baltimore's proximity to D.C.: economic help or drain?

I think it's debatable that the location is a positive for Baltimore. I don't doubt it, just haven't seen any evidence for it...
People go to school and/or work in DC or it's suburbs, and then SOME go back with their talents/knowledge and bring it to Baltimore and it's surrounding burbs. I know this first hand from friends of mine. This actually goes both ways with people employed or studying at Hopkins or UMMS who come from DC's suburbs. So it's not one sided.

When you have a global center of power in your region or dual-metro CSA, it's a net positive, not a net negative. Just as someone mentioned BWI airport which was renamed to this in the 70's, sees at least 1/3 of it's passenger rate from metro DC. Again net positive for the region and Baltimore's primary airport. Funny how so many posters on here when discussing the Bay Area never say SF is a detriment to SJ's success, because that's just silly.

Beyond all of that, whether DC was just woods with trees, and nothing else existed until Richmond, Baltimore still is located in a better location than STL and Memphis. Being located on the NE corridor is priceless. To me this comparison is not even discussion.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Yet losing in the real world due to its location. City Data isn't brining business to the Baltimore area.
No. In the real world, Baltimore's future is brighter than the other two (in part) due to it's location. That's why it's winning the poll on C-D because others realize the obvious.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:47 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearelocation View Post
Memphis is home to Orange Mound, the first African American neighborhood in the United States, built by and for African Americans. St. Louis and Baltimore may be bigger cities but they aren't as relevant to the story of America the way Memphis is, Mane.
In this context specifically that will be Baltimore moreso than the other 2 by being much older & establish within both geberal American & Black history.

Nobody here knows the outlook within 30-50 years of these cities. I'll give all of them a potentially bright future just with less grittiness as present.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
No. In the real world, Baltimore's future is brighter than the other two (in part) due to it's location. That's why it's winning the poll on C-D because others realize the obvious.
How does Baltimore benefit from its location? I need specifics.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:14 AM

730 posts, read 813,780 times
Quote:
Baltimore's airport would almost certainly not be as busy as it is if it weren't also convenient to Washington DC. It's one reason the airport changed its name in the 70s to Baltimore/Washington International Airport, and its IATA code was changed from BAL (Baltimore) to BWI (Baltimore/Washington International). Even before the name change, the first jet airplanes to service Washington DC flew out of BAL, as National's runways were too short, and Dulles hadn't been built yet. So there's one benefit that Baltimore enjoys by being close to DC.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
My last three posts have been replies to this.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
My last three posts have been replies to this.
You said Absolutely nothing that even resembled a benefit in your last 3 posts. So you have nothing.

Is there anyone that can name a benefit of Baltimore's location?

Old 12-16-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Baltimore's airport would almost certainly not be as busy as it is if it weren't also convenient to Washington DC. It's one reason the airport changed its name in the 70s to Baltimore/Washington International Airport, and its IATA code was changed from BAL (Baltimore) to BWI (Baltimore/Washington International). Even before the name change, the first jet airplanes to service Washington DC flew out of BAL, as National's runways were too short, and Dulles hadn't been built yet. So there's one benefit that Baltimore enjoys by being close to DC.
I can make an argument that BWI would be busier if it weren't if weren't for DC. I can make the argument that if there weren't two major airports between Baltimore and Richmond, BWI wouldn't have a choice but to be a busier airport. The airport would then serve the entire state of Maryland, NOVA (what ever cities are there) the way it serves South Central PA, and parts of Delaware. As I continue to harp on, Baltimore would also be a major business hub, and a bookend of the I95 corridor.

Again, no benefit.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:50 AM

841 posts, read 825,114 times
I'm really rooting for these three cities. Baltimore and St. Louis both have especially amazing historical bones, having both been among the Top 5 American cities at points during the past and Top 10 for very long periods (Baltimore as recently as 1980). I hope they can get it together and attract more interest from those who appreciate the history-rich environments they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City