Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 09:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,974,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
If there was a demand for towers that would get built.
People don't move to Fort Worth for hi rise developments.
You can disagree but Texas hirise developments are highly market driven.

I never said it was a good idea to continue to build out instead of up, I said that is what the market demands.

If hirise were that important to you, you would have moved to Uptown Dallas but I am sure you are perfectly content in Fort Worth despite it not having a huge skyline.

A huge skylines surrounded by all that empty space is just an endeavor for bragging rights so I'm not quite sure what is there to disagree with
Actually, the demand is there... we have highrises in plans... The problem is that the city has been notorious for not being as cooperative with developers. Also, being 30 miles away from a larger city doesn't help, either.

Highrises are important to me in THIS city for development purposes, not for "bragging rights"... Dallas and Houston will continue being 1 and 2 with that, even with Austin's explosion.

And Fort Worth already has plenty of empty space within the core of the city, which, again, isn't good for a city of our size. There's too much suburban style buildings in downtown alone that shouldn't be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 09:24 PM

10,049 posts, read 6,754,374 times
Quote:
This is the conversation flow.
If you read all of them you will get that As of its suggesting a reason for the skyline specifically and my response was in agreement with R1070

I agree in that all three are designed the same, the size of the city limits are just different. But invisible limit lines don't make a difference. It's actual towers that you can see spread all over the metro is what is being discussed
If they’re designed the same, what’s Uptown Houston to Dallas? You can say the DT Fort Worth, but that’s 30 miles aWay from Dt Dallas. Upt H and DTH are within 5-7 miles AND have greenway plaza in between. They aren’t Dallas within a 10 mile radius of its downtown doesn’t have what Houston has. Overall in both metros, you can argue it has more.

The suburbs of the cities are entirely similar, you aren’t wrong about that. You see business districts in heavily suburban areas of both. The energy corridor may as well be a suburb just like Plano is with heavy corporate campuses. The city limits mean nothing and EC is as suburban as many Dallas suburbs. You aren’t wrong here. Literally no one said anything about city limits can or can’t be suburban. They are 100% imaginary lines in this regard.

However, there cores of both cities aren’t the same set up. Downtowns of both Dallas and Fort Worth are both urban and lots of suburban areas in between. Houston’s urban corre (not city limits) extend further than Dallas. Does this matter? Not particularly. But as stated by AsBelow, it does have a major effect on the demand for high rises.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:37 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,855,229 times
This is about Austin and Dallas.
Let's focus on comparing those please.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Austin skyline isn’t as big as Dallas. And probably won’t be anytime soon. But it does proportionally come out a lot bigger. That one is also about demand, but for Austin it has more to do with this lack of infrastructure. We were actually talking about this earlier at work. Austin is a medium sized city trying to be a major city and it doesn’t have the road that the DFW metroplex has to support it as one. If that causes it to stand above its weight.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Also Houston wasn’t singled out. Someone mention Dallas having a less buildings for its size as compared to other cities smaller than it. San Francisco, Detroit etc. being multi polar was cited as a Reason which is true. Not the only reason but still a big factor. SF is also multi polar as a metro but has more buildings than both. The larger land demands come from other historic reasons

Old 01-31-2021, 11:09 PM

11,944 posts, read 8,170,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Austin skyline isn’t as big as Dallas. And probably won’t be anytime soon. But it does proportionally come out a lot bigger. That one is also about demand, but for Austin it has more to do with this lack of infrastructure. We were actually talking about this earlier at work. Austin is a medium sized city trying to be a major city and it doesn’t have the road that the DFW metroplex has to support it as one. If that causes it to stand above its weight.
I agree. On a per capita basis Austin’s skyline strikes shockingly hard for a metro its size. Although I believe Austin’s suburban infrastructure is improving. I personally think due to its vibe though, despite its suburbs, Austin will remain very core-centric as most of its key employers are in the city proper where as Dallas they are spread throughout its metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City