Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 08:12 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both of these areas? How do they compare? I'm from Raleigh but don't know much about Charlotte.

It seems like DFW is a much bigger area with more amenities. How is the job market and cost of living in each area?

What about scenery? Is Charlotte heavily forested like Raleigh? I didn't think DFW had much scenery/natural beauty at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 08:18 AM

140 posts, read 141,616 times
If you want a different place with the same inviroment pick Charlotte. If you are looking for a big city feel pick Atlanta if you prefer a city in the forest. DFW is in a whole different region and not the same.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:19 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Charlotte is a more centralized metro area with only the SC suburbs competing with Charlotte itself for corporate investment. In that regard, Charlotte is more like Houston whereas the Triangle, being a polycentric metro area, is more like DFW.

Both Charlotte and DFW have great job markets but DFW's local economy is more diversified and its just a much larger metro area overall. Both are very corporate though. It would seem that the cost of living isn't dissimilar in each but I'm not too sure about that. Charlotte has basically all of the standard metropolitan amenities but they are duplicated all over DFW due to its much larger size.

Charlotte, being located in the Piedmont, is certainly heavily forested with rolling hills and provides a contrast with DFW in that regard, which is in the Plains and flatter with less tree cover.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:47 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Has anyone lived in both of these areas? How do they compare? I'm from Raleigh but don't know much about Charlotte.

It seems like DFW is a much bigger area with more amenities. How is the job market and cost of living in each area?

What about scenery? Is Charlotte heavily forested like Raleigh? I didn't think DFW had much scenery/natural beauty at all.
Is there a reason you're asking about these 2 cities in particular? And are you looking for a certain lifestyle or specific amenities in particular?

They're both fine cities, IMO. But they're very different, other than the fact that they both are hubs for American Airlines.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:11 AM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte is a more centralized metro area with only the SC suburbs competing with Charlotte itself for corporate investment. In that regard, Charlotte is more like Houston whereas the Triangle, being a polycentric metro area, is more like DFW.

Both Charlotte and DFW have great job markets but DFW's local economy is more diversified and its just a much larger metro area overall. Both are very corporate though. It would seem that the cost of living isn't dissimilar in each but I'm not too sure about that. Charlotte has basically all of the standard metropolitan amenities but they are duplicated all over DFW due to its much larger size.

Charlotte, being located in the Piedmont, is certainly heavily forested with rolling hills and provides a contrast with DFW in that regard, which is in the Plains and flatter with less tree cover.
I think DFW is alittle more expensive than CLT. It has gotten fairly pricey over the last decade.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I think DFW is alittle more expensive than CLT. It has gotten fairly pricey over the last decade.
That's true if you're a homeowner. That's mainly because in DFW property taxes are much higher, plus the higher land values are translating to a higher sticker price for home purchases.

But if you're a renter, DFW definitely still has the edge simply because of no income tax.

The link below shows the median rent for a 1-bedroom apartment (pre-pandemic) in Charlotte was $1,330 vs. $1,375 in Dallas. Not much of a difference.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...lina-is-1330-3

Old 12-22-2020, 09:37 AM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's true if you're a homeowner. That's mainly because in DFW property taxes are much higher, plus the higher land values are translating to a higher sticker price for home purchases.

But if you're a renter, DFW definitely still has the edge simply because of no income tax.

The link below shows the median rent for a 1-bedroom apartment (pre-pandemic) in Charlotte was $1,330 vs. $1,375 in Dallas. Not much of a difference.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...lina-is-1330-3
Yeah, renting is the way to go in TX. Save of property tax, no income tax, and save alot more money.. ..like... ALOT more. Yea sure some of the uppity types will look down on ya but I have no desire to pay property tax on a $600k house.. ..that stated.. ..I purchased in January of this year.. ..but renting has a huge financial advantage over buying in TX.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:52 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,310,096 times
CLT or ATL may be a good move if you want a similar vibe but a bigger city. DFW is a lot different on many levels.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:34 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Is there a reason you're asking about these 2 cities in particular? And are you looking for a certain lifestyle or specific amenities in particular?

They're both fine cities, IMO. But they're very different, other than the fact that they both are hubs for American Airlines.
I've been living in Chicago for a few years and am growing tired of the big dense city life. I want to move to a place with warmer weather, but still have some big city amenities like a larger airport and good food options. Also, I tend to be more conservative and Chicago is just too liberal for me. Lastly, it's nice to have job opportunities. If I landed a job in a smaller area like Louisville, it would probably be a challenge to find a new job without moving somewhere else.

Charlotte comes to mind because it's close to my family in Raleigh but is a much bigger city than Raleigh.

DFW comes to mind because it's a big area with lots of job opportunities. I did live in Arlington for a short amount of time and wasn't a fan, but I'm sure not all of DFW is the same as Arlington. I'd even consider San Antonio because it has more character than DFW.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:13 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've been living in Chicago for a few years and am growing tired of the big dense city life. I want to move to a place with warmer weather, but still have some big city amenities like a larger airport and good food options. Also, I tend to be more conservative and Chicago is just too liberal for me. Lastly, it's nice to have job opportunities. If I landed a job in a smaller area like Louisville, it would probably be a challenge to find a new job without moving somewhere else.

Charlotte comes to mind because it's close to my family in Raleigh but is a much bigger city than Raleigh.

DFW comes to mind because it's a big area with lots of job opportunities. I did live in Arlington for a short amount of time and wasn't a fan, but I'm sure not all of DFW is the same as Arlington. I'd even consider San Antonio because it has more character than DFW.
I think you should consider Fort Worth. It's one of the more conservative-ish large cities in the country and has character and a distinct identity within the Metroplex. The Fort Worth side of DFW is roughly the size of metro Charlotte and you have access to the amenities of the larger metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City