Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 02:15 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Like Seattle and SF, Vancouver has low homicide rate, high property crime rate. And on top of that, it has much lower wages than West Coast US cities but still has high housing costs. So thankful to be on the U.S. side of the border.

https://vancouversun.com/news/daphne...-humanity-left
The last few years Vancouver has had a significantly lower homicide rate than Seattle or SF. Seattle has 30 so far this year and SF has about 25, while Vancouver has 11. Also, Seattle and SF have much higher non-homicide violent crime rates than Vancouver. There's no doubt Vancouver is the safest major city along the West Coast, with its closest competition being San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Dayton now at 14 after 16 year old shot dead.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:57 PM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucric View Post
There is no question Canadian cities are safer, cleaner and more prosperous, after all that's why they kick our ass in all livability rankings.

As an American I wish we were in their position.
Me and my wife have discussed moving up to Canada. There's a reason and it's mainly because their culture is more polite and respectful towards one another. I know many Americans wouldn't want to admit that and think it's a "liberal lie", but that type of mindset and political divisions is part of the reason we are seeing the problems like we are seeing.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:04 PM

386 posts, read 266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's what I've been saying. I don't see much improvement in general but for the topic of this particular thread, this year is a lot worse. I'm not going to hold my breath about next year being better, we might be heading back to the levels of the crack epidemic.
I think we are starting to see some improvements month to month from last summer at least in some cities.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:06 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Las Vegas 80
Akron, OH 35
Portland, OR 58
Fresno, CA 46
Oakland 78

Hartford, CT 26
New Bedford, MA 4

Old 08-10-2021, 03:19 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I think we are starting to see some improvements month to month from last summer at least in some cities.
I think there’s some slight improvements, but it’s frustrating to see the possibility of Minneapolis reaching 100 homicides or Chicago topping 800.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:24 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Know it says homicides, but it would be nice to see the total amount of shootings if available because homicides from guns are deceiving. 32 people got shot in the past 5 days here and only 1 was fatal. Someone might think crime is going down when they see 2 homicides in 5 days. I know I did until I checked the map

Just yesterday someone was shot at 70 times and is listed in stable condition

Old 08-10-2021, 04:16 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
The last few years Vancouver has had a significantly lower homicide rate than Seattle or SF. Seattle has 30 so far this year and SF has about 25, while Vancouver has 11. Also, Seattle and SF have much higher non-homicide violent crime rates than Vancouver. There's no doubt Vancouver is the safest major city along the West Coast, with its closest competition being San Diego.
Yeah Vancouver has a comparable city proper population to Seattle and San Francisco so its murder rate is half to a third of theirs.

In terms of San Diego, well Vancouver city proper covers a much smaller part of the metro area, compared to San Diego.

Vancouver is a bit like the Boston area with a relatively small city proper surrounded by other technically suburban municipalities that can be fairly urban in character. Most murders in "Vancouver" this year haven't been in Vancouver itself but in these municipalities. There have been about 30 there so the Greater Vancouver area has around 40 I think.

These urban non-city proper areas + the city of Vancouver itself have about 2 million people (I am not counting the half million in farther out suburbia which has few urban traits), so the homicide rate is more like 2 per 100,000.

San Diego's homicide, for a roughly comparable area with about 1.5 million people, is something like 2.2.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:39 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Chicago- 475

Strange, sun-times homicide tracker shows 468, when the CPD weekly report has 474(as of 8/9). It's usually the other way around, with sun-times reporting a higher amount than what CPD says. Of course, heyjackass shows an excess of 20+ homicides than either sources. It's all more than the amount this time last year, and the gap between Chicago and Philly continues to widen. What I'm noticing the difference between the two cities, at least during this summer, is Philly has gone days without a homicide, whereas homicides are an everyday, typically no less than twice a day, occurrence in Chicago. In fact, 22 have been murdered just within the last 7-days span. When it comes to Philly, it appears to be experiencing a little bit of a downturn this month, even though total murders year-to-date is in excess of 65 murders compared to this time around last year.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-11-2021 at 12:50 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 04:11 AM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Some but not many. There's only a handful of cities that have a lower YTD total than this time last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City