Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.37%
Philadelphia 176 51.61%
Boston 36 10.56%
Providence 10 2.93%
Harrisburg 11 3.23%
Newark 21 6.16%
Wilmington 20 5.87%
Jersey City 18 5.28%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 03:43 PM

47 posts, read 30,866 times

Advertisements

^I see black, I click.

Again, with all due respect. Philadelphia is shocking, jarring, and quite a bit scary. I'd just rather stay away.

There are many other cities that are simply less violent, gritty and intimidating. This is why Philadelphia gets talked about how you're referring to. You grew up with it I'm assuming. You're what we would call desensitized. I'm not in a position to say what's "real" or not. But I think the sentiment is that's what Philly is to many people but don't harp on me...obviously it doesn't matter to most people on this poll or at least price (and black %?) is the most important factor.

Even NYC appears cleaner and more orderly and more invested in these days. If Philadelphia were priced like Boston or NYC id assume it would have to be last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 04:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleopatraOwns View Post
^I see black, I click.

Again, with all due respect. Philadelphia is shocking, jarring, and quite a bit scary. I'd just rather stay away.

There are many other cities that are simply less violent, gritty and intimidating. This is why Philadelphia gets talked about how you're referring to. You grew up with it I'm assuming. You're what we would call desensitized. I'm not in a position to say what's "real" or not. But I think the sentiment is that's what Philly is to many people but don't harp on me...obviously it doesn't matter to most people on this poll or at least price (and black %?) is the most important factor.

Even NYC appears cleaner and more orderly and more invested in these days. If Philadelphia were priced like Boston or NYC id assume it would have to be last.
Nyc is clean. Not Boston ord DC level. Id say about equal with PHL

Old 06-08-2021, 04:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,971 times
Crime wise Phil > NYC these days. Cleanliness wise I think they are fairly similar. I've lived in both NYC and Philly suburbs. I do think Philly is a bit grittier imo. That said, Camden(which borders Philly) is A LOT worse!. Link to 2021 comparison on crime:

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2023 at 04:36 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 06:04 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Crime wise Phil > NYC these days. Cleanliness wise I think they are fairly similar. I've lived in both NYC and Philly suburbs. I do think Philly is a bit grittier imo. That said, Camden(which borders Philly) is A LOT worse!. Link to 2021 comparison on crime:
1st review, classic negadelphiansm.

"Life long resident, born here as well. I'm Very sorry to say. Go elsewhere. someplace cleaner, more safe"
-SAMUEL | Bensalem, PA

I see a trend here with a lot of local Philadelphia bashers.

"I lived here my whole life, ugly city, rude people, even rude neighbors! Everyone is overly worked and there is NOTHING fun to do! I couldn't even find an arcade or nice place on my birthday! ABSOLUTELY NOT child friendly! They think all kids need is a crappy overcrowded playground! Real city of sin! My daughter is 10 years old and I can see the depression in her from living here! Go move to a nice vacation spot or something with all your money and don't listen to the hype, New Jersey is way better, more fun to do! If you only love bars, this is your place because that's the ONLY thing they offer for you to do here, drink! And not even have fun while you're doing it! Miserable people, miserable city, I'm going to Jersey to buy my house! No thanks NYC"

Jillian | New York, NY

Sounds like a very jovial, cordial person ... People like this crack me up. NYC didn't crack it either...? I love how they never think that maybe everyone around them is miserable is because THEY are miserable? Treat other how you want to be treaded... Common sense isn't too common nowadays.

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2023 at 04:36 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
^I see black, I click.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0517...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0469...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9891...7i16384!8i8192

Not to sound disrespectful, but you constantly move the goal post. If the areas I linked are unsuitable for you, than IDK what is, because your standards seem pretty far-fetched. Those are ideal middle class areas for anyone, regardless of race. I'm 100% sure if I showed you those neighborhoods without telling you what city it's in, you'd be singing a different tune.

....I would hope the country's premier 'Global City' is in better condition than the city that's finally begun a resurgence 15 years ago. .

Old 06-08-2021, 07:16 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0517...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0469...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9891...7i16384!8i8192

Not to sound disrespectful, but you constantly move the goal post. If the areas I linked are unsuitable for you, than IDK what is, because your standards seem pretty far-fetched. Those are ideal middle class areas for anyone, regardless of race. I'm 100% sure if I showed you those neighborhoods without telling you what city it's in, you'd be singing a different tune.

....I would hope the country's premier 'Global City' is in better condition than the city that's finally begun a resurgence 15 years ago. .
Are those pictures you posted African American Middle Class communities? If so, wow. Pretty impressive.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Are those pictures you posted African American Middle Class communities? If so, wow. Pretty impressive.
Yes.

The first link is East Oak Lane (NW). The second link is West Mt. Airy (NW), it's the most diverse out of the 3 neighborhoods, but is still very black. The 3rd link is Wynnefield (West Philly) [Home of Will Smith]

I'll go back to edit them and put the neighborhoods for each.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:45 PM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Yes.

The first link is East Oak Lane (NW). The second link is West Mt. Airy (NW), it's the most diverse out of the 3 neighborhoods, but is still very black. The 3rd link is Wynnefield (West Philly) [Home of Will Smith]

I'll go back to edit them and put the neighborhoods for each.
My only quibble:

While Mt. Airy is the city's most (famously) integrated neighborhood (black/white), West Mt. Airy is its whiter side; I'd have picked a street in East Mount Airy north of Gorgas Lane, like this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0602...2!9m2!1b1!2i51

(Actually, that's Gorgas Lane itself. My doctor lives on a street that crosses it, a block or so to its north. FWIW, he's white.)

But that's a minor quibble.

Perhaps more noteworthy is that East Oak Lane is actually quite affluent; one of its Census tracts has an MHI north of $100k. I refer to the neighborhood as the city's best-kept secret.

A number of executive types live in Wynnefield too. I profiled one of them in PhillyMag's 2019 Real Estate Issue, a Black Comcast exec who used to live in Broomall because his wife worked in Delco; when she got a job in the city, they both decided to move into it and chose a very nice center-hall Colonial in Wynnefield.

A coda on Mount Airy and its neighbor to the south, Germantown: Both neighborhoods are more socioeconomically diverse than the neighborhood-wide stats would lead one to believe. Mt. Airy's southeast quadrant — East Mt. Airy south of Meehan Avenue — is almost all-Black and lower-income. Meanwhile, in lower-income Germantown, five percent of the households have annual incomes above $130,000 a year. Most of the more affluent households lie west of Germantown Avenue, but some of those households lie in a roughly 4x4-block pocket just to the southwest of where I live, along Church Lane and Locust Avenue from roughly Baynton Street to McMahon Street; it has too few households to break out MHI by block group without being able to identify specific households, but it's in my decidedly-low-income Census tract. Several of its residents are Black scholars on the faculty of local universities; one of them is a Name You Know — he also runs Uncle Bobbie's Coffee and Books, the city's coolest bookstore/coffee house, right in the heart of Germantown. (The link is to the article I wrote about it shortly after it opened in October 2017.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 06-08-2021 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-08-2021, 09:42 PM

2,376 posts, read 1,860,017 times
I don't have a dog in this fight by any means, but still a very interesting read.

ckhthankgod is going wild with the links in here and ppl are bickering about the bigger cities they are just going nonstop information on upstate metros. Some very interesting stuff in there and probably a good argument for those cities even above the major metros in a lot of cases.

Just wanted to point something out re:

Quote:
Again, the entire northeast is bad but there is no sensible reason to be in New England if not in Boston or its immediate environs or Norwalk on down.

It is odd to me to see folks advocating on any level for places like Pawtucket or Hartford when almost everything emanating from those places in regards to black people is a huge negative. I'm sure there are a few decent blocks somewhere up there but you won't find many of us ADOS there.

I googled Pawtucket and this is what I got: https://www.google.com/search?q=pawt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

^this is all I've ever heard of Pawtucket Rhode Island

The safety /QOL standards in New England are.. very different from other parts of the country, especially the Southeast.

Entire states like Louisana or Missisippi frequently have higher homicide rates than even the most violent cities in Rhode Island or Mass. At a statewide level, those states have homicide rates 6-7x higher than Mass and RI.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm

Just because an area is gritty and dense doesn't always make it dangerous. There is neighborhoods in Atlanta that look nice and modern at first glance but still clock crime rates higher than the worst projects in Boston or Providence.

Really not even slightly dangerous and verysimilar to crime rates in Providence, Cranston etc. Generally that entire region has mild but not nonexistant violent crime rates

Hartford is the main exception within New England which is a pretty rough city for crime.. New Haven and Bridgeport are the next tier and after that there aren't any cities with serious violent crime problems (relative to major cities across the country) However there are cities with QOL problems, gangs, drugs etc just significantly less violence than what you get in the midwest and the south

Homcide rate for the entire state of Georgia is 8.1 and is Tennesee 9.2

Of course there is way more to QOL than just these kind of numbers, but I wanted to make that point known.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:51 AM

93,422 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight by any means, but still a very interesting read.

ckhthankgod is going wild with the links in here and ppl are bickering about the bigger cities they are just going nonstop information on upstate metros. Some very interesting stuff in there and probably a good argument for those cities even above the major metros in a lot of cases.

Just wanted to point something out re:

The safety /QOL standards in New England are.. very different from other parts of the country, especially the Southeast.

Entire states like Louisana or Missisippi frequently have higher homicide rates than even the most violent cities in Rhode Island or Mass. At a statewide level, those states have homicide rates 6-7x higher than Mass and RI.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm

Just because an area is gritty and dense doesn't always make it dangerous. There is neighborhoods in Atlanta that look nice and modern at first glance but still clock crime rates higher than the worst projects in Boston or Providence.

Really not even slightly dangerous and verysimilar to crime rates in Providence, Cranston etc. Generally that entire region has mild but not nonexistant violent crime rates

Hartford is the main exception within New England which is a pretty rough city for crime.. New Haven and Bridgeport are the next tier and after that there aren't any cities with serious violent crime problems (relative to major cities across the country) However there are cities with QOL problems, gangs, drugs etc just significantly less violence than what you get in the midwest and the south

Homcide rate for the entire state of Georgia is 8.1 and is Tennesee 9.2

Of course there is way more to QOL than just these kind of numbers, but I wanted to make that point known.
Thanks! To be honest, I'm really staying in my lane in a sense due to just knowing more details about said areas, but I think you touched on something. There are other areas in the region that can provide some of the things that the OP mentioned.

I really think when looking at critical aspects that people would look for in general and in terms of this subject, I think the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area hits on a lot of aspects better than others. This is based upon the information available and in relation to other areas.

For instance, according to 2019 5 year census data, Orange County NY has a black median household income of $68,242 and its black poverty rate is below the national black percentage(23.8%) and close to the overall national percentage at 11.4%. For Dutchess County, the numbers are $53,229 and 15.8%. Both have median household incomes well above the national black figure($41,935) and black poverty rates below the national black figure. In fact, the black median household income of the collective area is around, if not above the overall national figure(nat. figure for the period was $62,843) and the black poverty rate isn't that much higher than the national overall figure(10.5%). This is also for an area with a black percentage roughly around the national black percentage. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...k,US/PST045219 (some census data varies
depending on the source in terms of black percentage, but it is still around the national percentage(around 11-12.5%).

So, this is why I bring this area up, along with the other aspects it has. It isn't perfect(the city of Newburgh has had crime issues, for instance), but comparatively speaking, this is likely the "best" area in the region(and maybe one in the country in terms of the topic) when looking at some key information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City