Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.41%
Philadelphia 176 51.76%
Boston 35 10.29%
Providence 10 2.94%
Harrisburg 11 3.24%
Newark 21 6.18%
Wilmington 20 5.88%
Jersey City 18 5.29%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 02:27 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

1. Walkability
2. Economy
3. Amenities
4. Safety
5. Culture
6. Suburbs
7. QOL
8. Infrastructure
9. Parks
10. Housing
11. Education

And lets exclude D.C.-Baltimore from this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 02:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times
You excluded the best answer! But I believe Philadelphia would work. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I felt that the areas around Media, Swarthmore, Germantown, etc. were particularly comfortable and had some of the more progressive black families there. Boston isn't the answer imho.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:42 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
1. Walkability NYC
2. Economy Boston
3. Amenities NYC
4. Safety NYC/Providence
5. Culture NYC
6. Suburbs NYC/Boston
7. QOL Boston
8. Infrastructure Boston
9. Parks Philly
10. Housing IDK Philly/Harrisburg or Wilmington
11. Education Boston

City proper? definitely and easily Boston.

Metro-maybe NYC? (im biased, so Boston). Philly burbs are like Boston's but the economy is worse and it's too republican. Boston also has more variety of suburbs.

Harrisburg, Wilmington, and Providence are too small on a cultural level and arent great places for crime/economy. Providence has terrible schools as does the state of RI now(they've gotten bad quickly).

NYC isn't family-friendly. nor is Philly. Better for your adult (18+) kids socially. Philly is unrealistic frankly-too dangerous.

Bosotn has the best schools public or private of any city here. Its crime rate is only higher than NYCs. It also has the most complete/pretty neighborhoods.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
You excluded the best answer! But I believe Philadelphia would work. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I felt that the areas around Media, Swarthmore, Germantown, etc. were particularly comfortable and had some of the more progressive black families there. Boston isn't the answer imho.
These are tiny towns with literally 2-300 black people each-theyre 80%+ white and like 5% black...i gotta pass. If you like them Milton MA or even Newton MA/Cambridge MA would blow your mind...

But does OP mean city proper?

Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 PM

NYC seems good for upper-middle-class and upper-class black families. Wouldnt be as isolating as Boston culturally... but the lower middle class is the bulk of the black middle class and frankly, Boston is a beast there in terms of QOL.

Newark doesn't seem like a good option at all (its inclusion along with NYC is also what makes some think we're talking city proper).

Old 01-04-2021, 02:53 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Boston isn't the answer imho.
It’s likely not a winner, but it may not be the worst of the options (Harrisburg?).

I’m really surprised that Hartford isn’t an option. This article is a bit old, but it has both Hartford and Providence in the “good and gaining ground” category. Boston is “good and losing ground” along with NYC. Philly is “bad and losing ground” per the article, which is admittedly a bit surprising.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau...re-theyre-not/

Old 01-04-2021, 02:54 PM

330 posts, read 293,449 times
Boston or Philly

Old 01-04-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
It’s likely not a winner, but it may not be the worst of the options (Harrisburg?).

I’m really surprised that Hartford isn’t an option. This article is a bit old, but it has both Hartford and Providence in the “good and gaining ground” category. Boston is “good and losing ground” along with NYC. Philly is “bad and losing ground” per the article, which is admittedly a bit surprising.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau...re-theyre-not/
Naw I think Boston could win this poll I do not think it will because most black people haven't been and NYC is more popular generally. Most of these options are by far and away worse than Boston. No one black and the middle class is tryna raise a family in Brick City. Maybe a young black professional native to North Jersey trying to get out of their parents' house...

Hartford as a city no no no-lived there, no. Bloomfield and Windsor is a totally different story. It should probably be on here instead of Wilmington-Its a much bigger and more independent city. But this article is old and doesn't jive with the more recent stats we've seen.

Boston has the highest black median income of any major metro on the east coast not named DC. Its got more outdoor recreation, black cultural variety, better schools, deeper history and is making more strides than everywhere thats not Philly or NYC.

Boston (and Providence) is the only city on here that's really gaining black population and that's mostly due to the economy and schools. By design, it's just a much more family-friendly environment than Philly or NYC. That's immediately noticeable when you arrive in each of the three cities.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:02 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hartford as a city no no no-lived there, no.
I did assume that the OP meant metro area rather than just city proper.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I did assume that the OP meant metro area rather than just city proper.
Newark/NYC and Philly/Wilmington lead me to believe otherwise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City