Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.37%
Philadelphia 176 51.61%
Boston 36 10.56%
Providence 10 2.93%
Harrisburg 11 3.23%
Newark 21 6.16%
Wilmington 20 5.87%
Jersey City 18 5.28%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 07:00 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Can you name one for Philly or New York?

Oops!
I can name a Black CEO of a major company based in New York:

American Express CEO Kenneth Chenault. (Oops! He stepped down as CEO in 2018.)

Philly's highest-profile Black executive will head not a corporation but the city's public university:

Temple University names Dr. Jason Wingard as its next president

("HBCU-ish"? Hmmm....)

But given the role higher education and biomedicine play in the regional economy, he will probably play a significant role in setting the regional agenda. He takes office July 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 08:39 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Another important measure of economic opportunity that I think is important to highlight is homeownership rates.

As of 2018, Philadelphia had one of the highest rates of homeownership among Blacks (ranked by metro areas) in the US, at 50%. The next highest-ranking Northeastern metro areas was Hartford, at 42%.

By, comparison Boston (33%) and New York (32%) were amongst the lowest in the US.

Moreover, the gap in homeownership comparing Blacks and Whites, was at least 10% narrower in Philadelphia (26%) versus Boston (36%) and New York (35%).

https://www.redfin.com/news/black-ho...united-states/

Old 06-14-2021, 09:22 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That doesn't describe Mount Airy, Wynnefield or East Oak Lane, all three affluent* and all three more than 50% Black. (Whites make up about 35 percent of Mount Airy's famously integrated population. *Mount Airy does have a quadrant that's low- to moderate-income and overwhelmingly Black, though. Most of that neighborhood's crime takes place there, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem there as it is just down the road in East Germantown, where I live.)

The crime-ridden parts are by and large low-income. Most here acknowledge that the city has a problem with persistently high poverty (close to 25 percent).
Exactly. And suburban Philadelphia's predominately black neighborhoods continue to be under-appreciated, on this thread, as well:

East Lansdowne: https://goo.gl/maps/Rf6GodqYvqNDSRbf8
Elkins Park: https://goo.gl/maps/87dPT4ZgBvDaNJYh9
Willow Grove: https://goo.gl/maps/NERxEDz4wo5GfWheA
Woodbury, NJ: https://goo.gl/maps/QEuDS8Aoedzd8mCPA

Old 06-14-2021, 09:58 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. And suburban Philadelphia's predominately black neighborhoods continue to be under-appreciated, on this thread, as well:

East Lansdowne: https://goo.gl/maps/Rf6GodqYvqNDSRbf8
Elkins Park: https://goo.gl/maps/87dPT4ZgBvDaNJYh9
Willow Grove: https://goo.gl/maps/NERxEDz4wo5GfWheA
Woodbury, NJ: https://goo.gl/maps/QEuDS8Aoedzd8mCPA
*Google using Elkins Park, when it's really Cheltenham.

Nice to see Cheltenham getting a shot-out. (+1 For picking a street that's literally right around the corner from my house)

It would be nice if the Census also shown the demographics for the "unincorporated communities" instead of the entire township, because that particular area you picked has to be at minimum %50 Black/African American. There's only 1 white family on my street, the rest are black/asian.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
You've really made your stance clear; we get it.

I'd challenge you on the claim of more access to outdoor spaces in NYC, but that's moot. You'll also never convince me that NYC ISN'T the most frenetic and stress-inducing city in the US, by far, regardless of race.

You, personally, don't see the possibility of a more opportune black middle-class existence in Philadelphia. Clearly, others do.

Why not just end it there?
They are very adamant that there's 0 inhabitable neighborhoods for black middle class families.

Once we've shown them several sterile-safe predominantly black neighborhoods, they started going off on how they are only "pockets" and that there's still black families residing in adverse living conditions elsewhere in the city.

A lot of mental gymnastics and goal-post moving with them.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:34 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
*Google using Elkins Park, when it's really Cheltenham.

Nice to see Cheltenham getting a shot-out. (+1 For picking a street that's literally right around the corner from my house)

It would be nice if the Census also shown the demographics for the "unincorporated communities" instead of the entire township, because that particular area you picked has to be at minimum %50 Black/African American. There's only 1 white family on my street, the rest are black/asian.
Elkins Park isn't the only predominantly Black neighborhood within Cheltenham Township. (And Elkins Park is entirely within the township. Edited to add: And actually, that street is in Melrose Park, the neighborhood just over the city line from East Oak Lane. Elkins Park and Melrose Park share a post office and ZIP code [19027].)

Not as affluent, but solidly middle class, also mostly Black, and also not crime-ridden, is the community of La Mott just to the west of Elkins Park and just up Cheltenham Avenue from Melrose Park, on the other side of Old York Road, across from Black middle-middle-class West Oak Lane. This community, which sits right on the Cheltenham side of the Philadephia city-county line, is also historically significant: it was named for Quaker abolitionist Lucretia Mott, who (like many other Quaker abolitionists did in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey) purchased the land specifically for Black settlement in the mid-19th century. During the Civil War, it was the site of Camp William Penn, where the first "colored" troops to fight for the Union (after the performance of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment showed their capabilities) trained.

I thought the Census Bureau did break out data for Census Designated Places (CDPs). I believe Elkins Park is one such.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:47 PM

93,422 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Another important measure of economic opportunity that I think is important to highlight is homeownership rates.

As of 2018, Philadelphia had one of the highest rates of homeownership among Blacks (ranked by metro areas) in the US, at 50%. The next highest-ranking Northeastern metro areas was Hartford, at 42%.

By, comparison Boston (33%) and New York (32%) were amongst the lowest in the US.

Moreover, the gap in homeownership comparing Blacks and Whites, was at least 10% narrower in Philadelphia (26%) versus Boston (36%) and New York (35%).

https://www.redfin.com/news/black-ho...united-states/
The bolded sentence is another good reason why that area could have easily made the list. Besides Bloomfield and Windsor, parts of West Hartford, East Hartford, Manchester, Middletown, New Britain, etc. are some places in the metro with areas/neighborhoods with a decent black middle class. In terms of schools, West Hartford is tops out of those mentioned.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Elkins Park isn't the only predominantly Black neighborhood within Cheltenham Township. (And Elkins Park is entirely within the township. Edited to add: And actually, that street is in Melrose Park, the neighborhood just over the city line from East Oak Lane. Elkins Park and Melrose Park share a post office and ZIP code [19027].)

Not as affluent, but solidly middle class, also mostly Black, and also not crime-ridden, is the community of La Mott just to the west of Elkins Park and just up Cheltenham Avenue from Melrose Park, on the other side of Old York Road, across from Black middle-middle-class West Oak Lane. This community, which sits right on the Cheltenham side of the Philadephia city-county line, is also historically significant: it was named for Quaker abolitionist Lucretia Mott, who (like many other Quaker abolitionists did in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey) purchased the land specifically for Black settlement in the mid-19th century. During the Civil War, it was the site of Camp William Penn, where the first "colored" troops to fight for the Union (after the performance of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment showed their capabilities) trained.

I thought the Census Bureau did break out data for Census Designated Places (CDPs). I believe Elkins Park is one such.
The cheltenham boundaries are iffy and a PITA. I moved here august of 4th grade from Jersey, and we couldn’t go to Cheltenham because it was full and Myers didn’t except me because we didn’t live in the designated area. We wound up going to Myers eventually after we pulled some string.

All the children on that block attend Cheltenham Elementary but technically live in Melrose Park (Elkins Park). My address comes up as both Cheltenham or Elkins Park depending on the source but my zip is 19012.

Thank you for pointing out LaMott as well, not too many people know about it’s history and why it’s named LaMott in the first place. The schools here didn’t even teach us about LaMott, I first learned of her name in a Woman’s Studies class in college and put two and two together.

Theres also Linwood Gardens (not sure if it’s in LaMott section) and the Wyncote Towers (which also houses Drexel students) which are were middle class black families move to from Philadelphia.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:20 PM

809 posts, read 471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The bolded sentence is another good reason why that area could have easily made the list. Besides Bloomfield and Windsor, parts of West Hartford, East Hartford, Manchester, Middletown, New Britain, etc. are some places in the metro with areas/neighborhoods with a decent black middle class. In terms of schools, West Hartford is tops out of those mentioned.
Yup - Connecticut in general is a sleeper pick.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:49 PM

93,422 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yup - Connecticut in general is a sleeper pick.
I agree, as even in the immediate Bridgeport area on its North Side and in Stratford there is a substantial black middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City