Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these Northeastern/Midwestern cities is the most nationally recognized?
Pittsburgh 42 34.43%
Cleveland 30 24.59%
Cincinnati 4 3.28%
Indianapolis 4 3.28%
St. Louis 40 32.79%
Milwaukee 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 08:38 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’ll be honest, prior to Lebron, I couldn’t have told you the difference between Cincinnati and Cleveland.
They are nothing alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 09:01 AM

955 posts, read 612,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I voted St. Louis, but don't forget Pittsburgh also has its steelmaking heritage as a drawing card, and that heritage is very well known (they called Birmingham, Ala., "the Pittsburgh of the South").
My mom's side of the family is all from Pittsburgh, I'm well aware. I spent summers there and half my family is there, but I never really hear about it or see it in mainstream media outside of the Steelers.

Does Heinz say anywhere on the package it's from Pittsburgh? I'd be willing to be 99% of its consumers don't know the Pittsburgh connection.

Personally I've seen St. Louis more in media. The Cardinals, Nelly, Michael Brown, Chingy, Gateway Arch, Meet Me in St. Louis, etc.

For Cleveland, I know the Rock & Roll HOF, Drew Carey, Hot In Cleveland, Bone Thugs, the river catching on fire, Ariel Castro kidnappings (Michelle Knight episodes on Dr Phil were so moving) Lebron, Indians, etc.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:48 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
My mom's side of the family is all from Pittsburgh, I'm well aware. I spent summers there and half my family is there, but I never really hear about it or see it in mainstream media outside of the Steelers.

Does Heinz say anywhere on the package it's from Pittsburgh? I'd be willing to be 99% of its consumers don't know the Pittsburgh connection.

Personally I've seen St. Louis more in media. The Cardinals, Nelly, Michael Brown, Chingy, Gateway Arch, Meet Me in St. Louis, etc.

For Cleveland, I know the Rock & Roll HOF, Drew Carey, Hot In Cleveland, Bone Thugs, the river catching on fire, Ariel Castro kidnappings (Michelle Knight episodes on Dr Phil were so moving) Lebron, Indians, etc.
Yes! Every Heinz product contains this text on the back label:

"Manufactured by
Kraft Heinz Foods Company
Pittsburgh, PA 15222"

You will also still find the Heinz logo, in the shape of the curve-topped keystone of the ketchup, mustard, pickle, soup... labels.

Products coming from the Kraft side of Kraft Heinz will have a Chicago address in place of the Pittsburgh one....

...except for one product that seems to have migrated from the Kraft side to the Heinz side, A.1. Steak Sauce.

Kraft acquired this product a good number of years ago from Heublein Inc., the Connecticut-based distiller.

It is now identified as being made by

"International Gourmet Specialties, LLC
P.O. Box 57
Pittsburgh, PA 15230"

"P.O. Box 57" is the giveaway as to this company's parent. Of course, it's been many decades since Heinz had only 57 varieties of products.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:49 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Heinz is famous, but ketchup eating has a less rabid fanbase as beer drinkers.
Ummmm, have you ever had someone try to offer you Hunts ketchup rather than Heinz?

Old 01-24-2021, 10:02 AM

472 posts, read 347,570 times
I just asked my wife's family (they are Israeli/Middle Eastern) and my friends from the UK (1 Scot, 1 Welsh, 2 English)- I have no dog in the fight, hah-
Overwhelmingly, St. Louis was the most known by the 9 people I just asked (I will update more if others respond). 8 knew St. Louis off the bat and all included it in their answer.
Cleveland got the next amount, 3 knew of it. All were men, and all knew it because of basketball.
A few notes: None knew where in the US St. Louis, or any of the cities, were. I was surprised nobody knew Pittsburgh. I feel as if it is on equal footing as Cleveland and St. Louis, or would expect at least 1 vote.
1, an older Syrian lady, did not know any of the cities listed above. Nobody knew the other cities.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:26 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Pittssburgh has lots of culture and big city features for its size. But it fails on the growth element mentioned by OP. Cleveland has fair culture too compared to the others but to me they are all mid tier cities not recognized globally

Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
I just asked my wife's family (they are Israeli/Middle Eastern) and my friends from the UK (1 Scot, 1 Welsh, 2 English)- I have no dog in the fight, hah-
Overwhelmingly, St. Louis was the most known by the 9 people I just asked (I will update more if others respond). 8 knew St. Louis off the bat and all included it in their answer.
Cleveland got the next amount, 3 knew of it. All were men, and all knew it because of basketball.
A few notes: None knew where in the US St. Louis, or any of the cities, were. I was surprised nobody knew Pittsburgh. I feel as if it is on equal footing as Cleveland and St. Louis, or would expect at least 1 vote.
1, an older Syrian lady, did not know any of the cities listed above. Nobody knew the other cities.
The Scot didn’t know Pittsburgh? I would have thought the Carnegie connection might have led them to know about Pittsburgh.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:23 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Cleveland = Browns, Cavaliers, LeBron use to represent the city

Pittsburgh = Steelers

Old 01-24-2021, 01:56 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I would say cleveland...but not for good reasons

Old 01-25-2021, 12:23 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Pittssburgh has lots of culture and big city features for its size. But it fails on the growth element mentioned by OP. Cleveland has fair culture too compared to the others but to me they are all mid tier cities not recognized globally
So, in your opinion, Pittsburgh has more culture than Cleveland? Can you back that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City