Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will see the largest growth/expansion/commencement of Rail services in their metro area?
Boston 10 5.35%
Hartford/Connecticut 1 0.53%
New York City 12 6.42%
New Jersey 4 2.14%
Philadelphia 7 3.74%
Washington DC 18 9.63%
Richmond 6 3.21%
Raleigh/Durham 2 1.07%
Charlotte 17 9.09%
Atlanta 17 9.09%
Jacksonville 1 0.53%
Orlando 6 3.21%
Miami 17 9.09%
Tampa 6 3.21%
Nashville 5 2.67%
New Orleans 2 1.07%
Chicago 7 3.74%
Minneapolis 6 3.21%
Cleveland 1 0.53%
Pittsburgh 2 1.07%
Detroit 5 2.67%
St. Louis 6 3.21%
Dallas/Fort Worth 27 14.44%
Houston 17 9.09%
Austin 29 15.51%
San Antonio 1 0.53%
Denver 7 3.74%
Phoenix 6 3.21%
Salt Lake City 2 1.07%
San Diego 2 1.07%
Los Angeles/Riverside 58 31.02%
San Francisco/Bay Area 10 5.35%
Las Vegas 2 1.07%
Portland OR 2 1.07%
Seattle 40 21.39%
Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads 1 0.53%
Buffalo 1 0.53%
Columbus OH 2 1.07%
Baltimore 6 3.21%
Memphis 1 0.53%
Other 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 09:25 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Then why do so many less-visited European and Asian metro areas have such great commute mode splits? And why are US cities generally so terrible in comparison? Even NY isn't very high up the global list.
A lot of it comes down to built firm. In terms of revenue miles for rail and bus MARTA is ~80% of what the MBTA does but gets ~30% of its ridership. Why? Because the population of the core ~150 sq miles is about 1/3rd that of Boston, you could plop the NYC subway in Atlanta or the London Underground and it would make limited difference.

See the Cleveland RTA. Population shifts caused ridership to drop by 75% in 40 years with expanded infrastructure

And again the US is and always has been very wealthy. Look at car ownership in East Germany since reunification, people buy cars if they can afford them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 09:40 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Vietnam is a very poor country. The fact that you're using cities from a country whose entire GDP is lower than the state of Kentucky to make US rail look good is telling. I feel like it was implied that I was talking about Asian countries that are similarly developed to the US like Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, etc. Of course I wouldn't expect countries that are much poorer to have the infrastructure of a very wealthy country.
To me a post that states "Asia" is clearly implying Asia. What could that poster do in the future to make that clearer so as to avoid confusion?

Old 01-08-2022, 09:58 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Cleveland has about 20% of Dublin's metro area transit commute share.
Interesting but unfortunately meaningless in this context.

The charge bring defended against is the typical cosmopolitan virtue signal of "America's mass transit is so inferior compared to Europe!"

Cleveland's RTA is a larger, more ambitious, and almost certainly more expensive system.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Nice try at changing the parameters, but we're talking rail here, not "public transport". And that list is obviously not inclusive of all Asian metropolitan areas greater than 1 million people. Not even close. I think that rail in the US cities listed is clearly better than most asian cities of comparable size. Unless you have information to the contrary, maybe you should think before calling other posters "uneducated". FTR there are currently about 48 countries in Asia. That means that you haven't been to 46 out of 48 of them.

I was replying to claims about "mass transit" systems. Mass transit can include buses. Another source.

I suspect you don't like to hear about transit shares because LA does poorly.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:23 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
To me a post that states "Asia" is clearly implying Asia. What could that poster do in the future to make that clearer so as to avoid confusion?
I suppose I could have said "cities in developed countries in Asia" rather than "cities in Asia" but I would think most people agree that comparing infrastructure in a country like the US to the infrastructure of a developing country that has a very small fraction of GDP per capita of the US is not useful at all, which is why I said it was implied.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
I specified first and second world countries with that in mind. Maybe first and 1.5s really, like China.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
A lot of it comes down to built firm. In terms of revenue miles for rail and bus MARTA is ~80% of what the MBTA does but gets ~30% of its ridership. Why? Because the population of the core ~150 sq miles is about 1/3rd that of Boston, you could plop the NYC subway in Atlanta or the London Underground and it would make limited difference.

See the Cleveland RTA. Population shifts caused ridership to drop by 75% in 40 years with expanded infrastructure

And again the US is and always has been very wealthy. Look at car ownership in East Germany since reunification, people buy cars if they can afford them
When the main portion of Cleveland's rail system was completed in the 1950s and 60s, and even when RTA was formed in 1975 to bail out the biggest 2 transit systems -- CTS (Cleve Transit Sys) and the Shaker Heights Rapid -- the bulk of the metro area's population was inside Cuyahoga County (1.75M at the time), so per Ohio law only Cuy County was subjected to the 1% sales tax. Even just prior to RTA when the balkanized transit system was in financial peril, the rail system transported several times the riders it does today. After RTA was created and CTS bus and (rail) Rapid dropped from 55 cents to 25 and 35 cents, respectively, and Shaker Rapid fares, from 75 to 35 cents (with most importantly, for the first time, free transfers w/ the City lines), ridership became explosive -- beyond the capacity of some services, notably the ancient Shaker system, to handle the excess comfortably. Also, back in those days, although only a few thousand people lived downtown, offices were packed, until the early 80s, Cleveland had the 3rd highest F500 headquarters outside NYC and Chicago. In addition downtown retail, though in decline -- impacted by expanding county freeways, shopping malls and big-box strip shopping -- was still robust; downtown had 3 large department stores and tons of boutique and specialty stores...

... fast forward to today. Sprawl has taken hold and, although Cuyahoga County is still the largest in NEO, it has declined to 1.2M population (while, of course, Cleveland itself is down from around 700K to around 380K); corporations, starting with huge, homegrown Standard Oil, have abandoned and/or been consolidated out of town, leaving Cleveland Clinic and Sherwin-Williams as the big kids on the block. And while its great that Cleveland, for the first time in probably 70+ years has a serious nightlife given that, now, a rapidly-growing population of 20K lives downtown (projected 30K by 2030), with the corporations gone, most apt development has been in adapted reused office buildings.

RTA's tax base has seriously eroded -- and neighboring counties are unwilling to partner with RTA to foot the bill; 35 and 40-year-old trains are falling apart, but transit officials have both been unable and incompetent to fund replacements, ridership continues to plummet. ... and, oh yeah, there was that COVID thing that punched RTA in the gut; just as it did transit systems around the nation -- ironically, RTA fared a tad better than most.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:15 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The charge bring defended against is the typical cosmopolitan virtue signal of "America's mass transit is so inferior compared to Europe!"
It's not virtue signaling to point out what is probably an obvious observation to most people that have visited both major US and European cities.

The US has 15 rapid transit systems. The European Union has 34, over twice as many despite its population only being 35% larger.

Berlin is similar in size to Los Angeles. Berlin has 9 rapid transit lines with 175 stations. Los Angeles has 2 rapid transit lines and 4 light rail lines covering 95 stations. You can find similar discrepancies in other US-Europe city pairs.

I'll agree that NYC rail definitely meets European standards. Chicago does too. Maybe a couple other cities. The average American large city does not, imo.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:55 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
It's not virtue signaling to point out what is probably an obvious observation to most people that have visited both major US and European cities.

The US has 15 rapid transit systems. The European Union has 34, over twice as many despite its population only being 35% larger.

Berlin is similar in size to Los Angeles. Berlin has 9 rapid transit lines with 175 stations. Los Angeles has 2 rapid transit lines and 4 light rail lines covering 95 stations. You can find similar discrepancies in other US-Europe city pairs.

I'll agree that NYC rail definitely meets European standards. Chicago does too. Maybe a couple other cities. The average American large city does not, imo.
Los Angeles has more track with higher average speeds.

If you compare the U.S. to the U.K., even scaled for population difference, I think you'll find the U.S. crushes them with combined LRT/HRT coverage.

Last edited by Losfrisco; 01-09-2022 at 02:29 AM..

Old 01-09-2022, 03:04 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I'd love it if Detroit's able to expand the Q-Line into a full-fledged light rail system. I don't know if there are any additional plans for it right now, but as the city continues to gentrify and become more of a "counterculture" destination, that could become more feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City