Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will see the largest growth/expansion/commencement of Rail services in their metro area?
Boston 10 5.38%
Hartford/Connecticut 1 0.54%
New York City 12 6.45%
New Jersey 4 2.15%
Philadelphia 7 3.76%
Washington DC 18 9.68%
Richmond 6 3.23%
Raleigh/Durham 2 1.08%
Charlotte 17 9.14%
Atlanta 16 8.60%
Jacksonville 1 0.54%
Orlando 6 3.23%
Miami 17 9.14%
Tampa 6 3.23%
Nashville 5 2.69%
New Orleans 2 1.08%
Chicago 7 3.76%
Minneapolis 6 3.23%
Cleveland 1 0.54%
Pittsburgh 2 1.08%
Detroit 5 2.69%
St. Louis 6 3.23%
Dallas/Fort Worth 27 14.52%
Houston 17 9.14%
Austin 29 15.59%
San Antonio 1 0.54%
Denver 7 3.76%
Phoenix 6 3.23%
Salt Lake City 2 1.08%
San Diego 2 1.08%
Los Angeles/Riverside 58 31.18%
San Francisco/Bay Area 10 5.38%
Las Vegas 2 1.08%
Portland OR 2 1.08%
Seattle 40 21.51%
Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads 1 0.54%
Buffalo 1 0.54%
Columbus OH 2 1.08%
Baltimore 6 3.23%
Memphis 1 0.54%
Other 3 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 05:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Los Angeles has more track with higher average speeds.

If you compare the U.S. to the U.K., even scaled for population difference, I think you'll find the U.S. crushes them with combined LRT/HRT coverage.
What???? I’ve done a ton of business in the UK. Mass transit in the UK is a couple orders of magnitude better than the US. Half the country lives inside the circle from London that extends to Birmingham. That’s ~ 100 miles. The rail service inside that circle is extremely comprehensive. I’ve had lots of business trips where I stayed in London and took trains to various cities for meetings as a day trip. Plus Eurostar service to Europe. I’d never dream of flying from London to Paris. It takes at least twice as long to fly. Kings Cross/St Pancras and Gare Du Nord are centrally located with great subway systems to get there. Ditto Brussels and Amsterdam. It’s significantly better than NYC and that’s easily the #1 mass transit system in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 07:53 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What???? I’ve done a ton of business in the UK. Mass transit in the UK is a couple orders of magnitude better than the US. Half the country lives inside the circle from London that extends to Birmingham. That’s ~ 100 miles. The rail service inside that circle is extremely comprehensive. I’ve had lots of business trips where I stayed in London and took trains to various cities for meetings as a day trip. Plus Eurostar service to Europe. I’d never dream of flying from London to Paris. It takes at least twice as long to fly. Kings Cross/St Pancras and Gare Du Nord are centrally located with great subway systems to get there. Ditto Brussels and Amsterdam. It’s significantly better than NYC and that’s easily the #1 mass transit system in the United States.
I guess, the big question for me is, why are they and many other nations able to do so much better at transit than we are?

Old 01-09-2022, 09:49 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Answer is freedom. Just Freedom.

Public transit is seem as anti freedom in the USA.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:51 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I guess, the big question for me is, why are they and many other nations able to do so much better at transit than we are?
Population density is a big factor. England is slightly smaller than NY State, but you'd have to add the entire population of California to NY to get the same population density as England. That makes driving long distances more feasible in the US than it is in England and more importantly, it makes running trains in all directions much less feasible.

So we have a less densely populated country, with much longer distances between population centers. This means that we'd have to build much more rail than they would to achieve the same service levels. On a per person basis it's much more costly. The only country as large as ours to do it is China and they have over 3 times as many people. Plus they are likely going to struggle mightily with infrastructure in just a few years because maintaining is harder than building and China isn't known for good maintenance.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:03 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Population density is a big factor. England is slightly smaller than NY State, but you'd have to add the entire population of California to NY to get the same population density as England. That makes driving long distances more feasible in the US than it is in England and more importantly, it makes running trains in all directions much less feasible.

So we have a less densely populated country, with much longer distances between population centers. This means that we'd have to build much more rail than they would to achieve the same service levels. On a per person basis it's much more costly. The only country as large as ours to do it is China and they have over 3 times as many people. Plus they are likely going to struggle mightily with infrastructure in just a few years because maintaining is harder than building and China isn't known for good maintenance.
Wealth. While Americans were buying houses and cars in the late 40s thru 60s most Europeans lived in social housing because WWII was much much worse in Europe. Thus those countries were wealthy enough to embark on big infrastructure projects but not wealthy enough for most to be able to afford a car. So they built/maintained transit. Even today median income in the UK is roughly equal to West Virginia. Spain is very poor by American standards.

China right now is in a similar boat where they have the resources to build big projects but the average Chinese can not afford a car.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:19 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Yeah Intercity trains in Europe are great.

But this thread is about interurban rail systems.

Which Birmingham loses to places like Phoenix and Charlotte.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

A while back I remember a "AMERICA SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED" themed social media post that pointed out two Chinese cities that were the same distance apart as Chicago and NYC and of course how many more train departures there were, etc.

I get that if you want to look smart and cosmopolitan on the internet, you are supposed to make dramatic proclamations like this. Saying things like "wow San Diego has a pretty good transit system for a metro of its size" isn't winning you any sophistication points.

However, one must ask themselves-if Europe had hundreds of miles of vast deserts, territories similar to Montana, Wyoming, Minnesota, Colorado, Utah, etc., would they have even bothered connecting the whole continent by rail (like the United States did at a relatively early point in history when any kind of travel through these areas was tedious and even dangerous)?

Old 01-09-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I was replying to claims about "mass transit" systems. Mass transit can include buses. Another source.

I suspect you don't like to hear about transit shares because LA does poorly.
Does "transit share" distinguish between work commute trips and all other reasons for travelling?

If it doesn't, I don't find it to be very meaningful metric.

And I suspect you like to bring it up all the time because Seattle's rail system is so small for a 4 million metro area.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:46 AM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Mass transit in the UK is overpriced relative to its European and American peers. It's a big topic in the British newspapers, especially rail fares. I think the NYC Metro Area ranks pretty well compared to global peers with transit usage - the US does deserve some credit here.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:52 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Of course Seattle's rail system is small. I say that all the time.

Commute stats are a stand-in for the total-ridership numbers we don't have. They're the only apples-to-apples comparison, and the only one that's scientifically per-capita. They factor a margin of error. I acknowledge that commute usage doesn't totally correspond to non-commute usage.

APTA ridership stats are done to different standards by different agencies, using very different methods (tickets, door triggers, various ways of counting transfers, etc.). System boundaries are different from normal geographic boundaries. They're useful only to a point.

For 2019, APTA had a 2:1 ratio for total transit ridership in Seattle's metro area, despite SD not being much smaller (including Oceanside for SD, and a handful systems in the Seattle metro). For commutes, the Census ACS had Seattle's metro at 10.7% and SD at 2.8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City