Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Jersey v. Virginia
New Jersey 27 38.03%
Virginia 44 61.97%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Interesting that some are falling into the trap and assuming that Jersey has more "quaint towns". Probably due to just thinking VA is all NOVA. When in fact Virginia is the far larger by land mass and colonial state, that for my money probably dwarfs New Jersey in "quaint towns". Off the top of my head, small "quaint towns" Alexandria, Leesburg, Fairfax City, Front Royal, Fredericksburg, Winchester, Roanoke, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Williamsburg, Danville, Petersburg, Harrisonburg, Blacksburg. I'm sure there's more I'm missing.
I don’t think it’s a trap, I think it’s true.

Virginia has quite a few. You named some, but there are a lot more.

But I could name just as many in Essex County, NJ alone. Or Camden County. Or Bergen County, which has 72 towns, at least a third of which are cute AF. NJ excels in the quaint towns department.

You mentioned colonial history. NJ and VA were different types of colonies. Without getting too far down this rabbit hole, NJ was mostly small farms, merchants, mills, and thus, towns. Virginia had plantations spanning thousands of acres, and not as many towns. The Shenandoah Valley and western VA were settled by a lot of Scots Irish and Germans coming down from PA and starting small farms and towns. You’ll notice today that VA seems to have more quaint towns in the western part of the state than in the eastern. The industrial revolution created factory towns in the northern states, including NJ. Then in the railroad era, rail lines crisscrossed NJ, and new towns sprouted up, and then commuter villages in the early 20th century. The history of NJ is different phases of creating small towns and villages. There are 565 cities, towns, and other municipalities in NJ.

VA has more land area but the quaint towns you listed are 20, 30, 40 miles apart from each other. In NJ the quaint towns are a mile or two apart in many parts of the state. There’s a lot more of them packed into a smaller state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 06:21 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,086,917 times
NJ has never ending quaint suburban towns. VA has quaint towns but they're more colonial and historic in nature and there's not even as close to as many of them in the true suburban sense like NJ.

NJ has large areas of multiple counties that are nothing but these types of quaint towns/villages and they can be found everywhere from North to South.

VA has these too but it's a completely different setup with an entirely different feel.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:56 AM

109 posts, read 122,490 times
nobody mentioned the people

I will take my jersey people with heart and soul anyday over Virginia ( i also think beaches in nj and food a millions times better)
but NOVA is different than other parts of VA so i am only talking about NOVA, i did like walkabiity of NOVA, so i ddnt have a need for car, good place to experience young professional life in DC burbs

Old 07-31-2023, 07:52 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
nobody mentioned the people

I will take my jersey people with heart and soul anyday over Virginia ( i also think beaches in nj and food a millions times better)
but NOVA is different than other parts of VA so i am only talking about NOVA, i did like walkabiity of NOVA, so i ddnt have a need for car, good place to experience young professional life in DC burbs
Don't know how to break it to you, but my corner of Tidewater Virginia is being overrun by New Jersey/New Yorkers fleeing the NE. We've all left the northeast for better winters, lower taxes, better manners and drivers.

I grew up on the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook Beach), I also lived in a Boston suburb for nine years. NJ beaches have nothing compared to Cape Cod. Craigsville Beach is on vineyard sound. It simply don't get NJ's rip currents, undertows or rip tides. Craigsville is shallow and calm - perfect for children.

NJ's beach has boardwalks which is miles ahead of Cape Cod or Virginia.

No region or city is perfect! I've lived Austin, Texas, Boston, MA, NYC & its suburbs and NJ. Every place has its good and bad points.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Virginia as a state I feel just offers more. NOVA is just one of many regions of VA. New Jersey will always be in NYC's shadow for better or worse. NJ has some very quaint suburbs and some underrated towns. But I just prefer the numerous small towns and land scape of Virginia.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:10 AM

331 posts, read 149,606 times
NJ wins imo for quant towns / walkable suburbs but its close. While Western NJ has some nice nature it really doesn't have an equivalent for the beautiful landscape of the Blue Ridge mtns alongside the I-81 corridor. Not sure if there is a city in NJ proper comparable to Richmond maybe Jersey City's trendiest neighborhoods can stack up against the Fan / Carytown neighborhoods which I've never been to??

I'll take the NJ Shore over Tidewater area for a vacation week but I'd much rather live in Hampton Roads region full time vs living at the Jersey Shore full time. Not sure if this is still the case by many Jersey shore motels used to become drug attic shelters during the off-season which really gave the area an unsavory vibe.

IMO both are great states to live in both for young singles or to raise a family.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:15 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
NJ wins imo for quant towns / walkable suburbs but its close. While Western NJ has some nice nature it really doesn't have an equivalent for the beautiful landscape of the Blue Ridge mtns alongside the I-81 corridor. Not sure if there is a city in NJ proper comparable to Richmond maybe Jersey City's trendiest neighborhoods can stack up against the Fan / Carytown neighborhoods which I've never been to??

I'll take the NJ Shore over Tidewater area for a vacation week but I'd much rather live in Hampton Roads region full time vs living at the Jersey Shore full time. Not sure if this is still the case by many Jersey shore motels used to become drug attic shelters during the off-season which really gave the area an unsavory vibe.

IMO both are great states to live in both for young singles or to raise a family.
In addition to the Jersey Shore, the Philly suburbs of Haddonfield, Mullica Hill, Collingswood, Bordentown, Pitman and Glassboro are super quaint and walkable with great access to the surrounding area.

The Shore has dozens of walkable cool towns and North Jersey has atleast 30 great ones. Throw in the Lambertville’s and Frenchtown’s … you have the whole state covered!

Old 08-02-2023, 02:02 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times
My 2 states also except I have to add NYC I lived there also and I agree 100% with your post! I think that the best thing about VA is the mountains and wineries and scenic roads and NJ is all about the interesting people and NJ’s proximity to NYC and that food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Oooh, my two states! I grew up in Virginia but left after college for New Jersey, been here 16 years.

In terms of:

COL: Virginia
QOL: Both are pretty good, really (no, really!)
Suburbs: New Jersey's are prettier and quainter
Geographic Proximity: New Jersey - NYC/Philly > DC, also closer to good skiing.
Transportation: New Jersey has much better transit, and more highways than you can shake a stick at
K-12: Both have really good districts and really bad districts. The cream of the crop in both states are very good, among the best in the country. So tie.
Higher Eds: Virginia's public system is better than New Jerseys (which is really just Rutgers + a few small schools. RU is a great institution, but not the variety VA has). Princeton is great but overall, I'll go with VA.
Economy: Virginia
Arts/Culture: Tough one.
Things to do: shrug, both have pretty much anything you want
Shopping: Tie. The internet is everywhere.
Sports: New Jersey (Devils, Jets, Giants)
Food/Cuisine: New Jersey
Outdoors: Virginia
Climate: They're really not *that* different. Tidewater is a little warmer in winter and muggier in summer.
Crime: Statistically, New Jersey is safer.
# of Quaint Towns: New Jersey
Scenery: Virginia
Most success in next decade: Probably Virginia
Jersey City v. Tysons: Jersey City by a thousand miles. Tysons is dreadful. JC vs Richmond might be a better comparison, or Tysons vs Paramus
Favorite thing about Virginia: Beautiful mountainous areas
Favorite thing about New Jersey: Living here without a car and the diversity of the people
Least favorite thing about Virginia: The parts that *want* to be southern try too hard to be southern, and it's exhausting.
Least favorite thing about New Jersey: Neglected infrastructure (water mains, overhead electric wires, etc)

Old 08-02-2023, 07:09 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Virginia as a state I feel just offers more. NOVA is just one of many regions of VA. New Jersey will always be in NYC's shadow for better or worse. NJ has some very quaint suburbs and some underrated towns. But I just prefer the numerous small towns and land scape of Virginia.
Then you're not truly familiar with New Jersey.

The state has been split in two since its days as a colony. The divisions were known as East and West Jersey back then; today, we call them North and South Jersey. (The dividing line, btw, is still visible on a map of the state's 21 counties: it's the border between Burlington and Ocean counties, which emerges on the other side of Mercer County, which the line splits neatly in two, as part of the Somerset-Hunterdon county line.)

Benjamin Franklin, the most famous citizen of the city that dominates West/South Jersey, referred to the state as "a keg tapped at both ends," and that's still more or less true today.

South Jersey is noticeably more rural than North Jersey, thanks in part to the Pinelands National Reserve and in part to the farmlands of southern Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland and parts of Atlantic and Cape May counties. If you live in the Northeast, chances are that in season, your peaches, blueberries, and tomatoes were grown here — Jersey tomatoes have a reputation for flavor unmatched by those from any other state. (Unfortunately, it's a reputation they no longer deserve now that most Jersey tomato growers produce tomatoes that can survive shipping better than the gloriously misshapen original native varieties. These tomatoes look gorgeous but taste meh.)

All of the towns rowhomecity (a fellow Philadelphian) listed are in South Jersey, though some put Princeton in this overlap zone people call "Central Jersey". (But when the local hospital is part of the Penn Medicine network, I think it's clear which side of the divide it falls on.) I also think that, even though the Jersey Shore as a whole is overbuilt, the southern Shore has more classic charm than the northern Shore. They tie on boardwalks (Asbury Park and Seaside Heights vs. Atlantic City and Ocean City).

Agreed that Virginia beats New Jersey on mountains, but there's a pocket in the state's northwesternmost county, Sussex, that contains a town that's a dead ringer for a New England town center. You can see it headed northbound on I-287 — this last stretch of the New York beltway to be completed hugs the side of a high bluff overlooking the valley containing the town. The Delaware Water Gap, furthermore, is a natural feature you won't find in Virginia.

I now realize that I should have read the OP before voting, for I think I let my opinion of Virginia's mountain scenery influence my vote. Here's where I stand on the criteria:

COL: Virginia
QOL: New Jersey, though only by a hair
Suburbs: New Jersey has more of them, and they're more attractive both on average and overall
Geographic Proximity: New Jersey, wedged between the biggest city in the country and the second-biggest city along the Northeast Corridor (one to which New Yorkers have been moving for the lower COL and enough high-quality amenities to satisfy them)
Transportation: Virginia has some of the country's best-maintained highways, but New Jersey keeps up its primary highways just as well (its secondary ones are another story), and it has one of the best (and one of the few statewide) mass transit systems in the country
K-12: New Jersey on the whole, though Virginia's and New Jersey's best school districts are peers
Higher Eds: Tie. Virginia's public universities (William and Mary, the nation's second-oldest college, is one) overall outclass New Jersey's, and UVa definitely outclasses Rutgers. But New Jersey does have some surprisingly good second-tier public universities (especially Rowan and The College of New Jersey*, nee Trenton State Coilege), and there is no private university in Virginia that matches Princeton
Economy: Tie, though it's probably easier to do business in Virginia
Arts/Culture: Tie. Richmond's museums and cultural institutions punch above their weight
Things to do: New Jersey
Shopping: New Jersey, pace Tysons
Sports: New Jersey has major-league teams, Virginia doesn't
Food/Cuisine: New Jersey has a greater variety of cuisines
Outdoors: Virginia
Climate: Tie — I'm not a winterphobe to begin with, but it's not like winters in the Mid-Atlantic are all that much harsher than those in the Tidewater. Biggest difference is that one gets snow while the other doesn't.
Crime:
# of Quaint Towns: New Jersey — what have we been discussing here?
Scenery: Tie — Virginia's mountains and New Jersey's beaches (and even the Pinelands) sort of cancel each other out
Most success in next decade: Virginia — New Jersey is hobbled by high taxes
Jersey City v. Tysons: Jersey City, which is an actual city
Favorite thing about Virginia: The mountains and Jefferson country (Charlottesville and environs)
Favorite thing about New Jersey: The Shore
Least favorite thing about Virginia: The residue of the Old South clinging to the Southside
Least favorite thing about New Jersey: The New Jersey Turnpike, which I will admit is one mean car-moving machine, however

*Princeton, which went by that name until 1896, sued Trenton State when it took that name to capitalize on its reputation as one of the best higher-education bargains in the nation; the two eventually settled amicably and Trenton State got to keep the name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City