Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 07:17 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA does well for being so large. NYC of course does ridiculously well given its size. But it's not really useful to compare based on municipal city boundaries. Technically Long Beach is more densely populated than LA, but no one really thinks of it like that.

On the other end you have places like Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, Gutenberg, etc that are really small individually, but have much higher contiguous population densities than any of the places on this list.
The other thing worth noting when comparing what are effectively large suburbs is that many suburbs are disproportionately filled with housing. Many LA suburbs are only statistically "dense" because they have a large residential population. They aren't structurally dense and many are characterized by single family homes.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:31 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
It is interesting that Philadelphia is on the verge of taking over Chicago as being more dense.

They are literally neck and neck with one another. Philadelphia development is on fire so I can see it overtaking Chicago by 2030.

DC has seen lots of solid growth, and I do not see it stopping anytime soon, but the fact it has height restrictions, I see its density peaking at a certain point and staying in the 6th spot unless certain new zoning overalys can come into play to allow for taller development.

For example. Just this past month. Two 600 foot apartment projects have been proposed in Philadelphia. With some 1,000 units combined. DC just can't match that with the height restrictions.
You couldn’t be more misinformed than you are right now. DC benefits more than almost any city because of height limits. We build taller across our city than practically every city in America because of height limits. Philadelphia actually needs to build apartment/condo buildings in its row-house neighborhoods to match the capacity DC has because of zoning. DC is building 7-15 story buildings in all 8 wards of the city. DC won’t run out of space till it hits around 1.2 million people in 61.1 sq. miles of land. Now, if Philadelphia starts building up south and north Philly to look like Center City, then you would be right.

14,400 Units Delivered in 2-Years: DC is Nearly Halfway to Meeting 2025 Housing Production Goals

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-29-2021 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 07:36 AM

313 posts, read 218,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
The mostly inland—and, yes, suburban—areas you reference are countered by the miles and miles of high rises along the coast (mainland and the beach). Keep in mind Miami does have the 3rd largest skyline in the country with the overwhelming majority of these high rises being residential as opposed to a more balanced mix of commercial/residential elsewhere and going south-north, rather than being consolidated in a more compact 4 direction manner.
Came to say this.
No, at street level, there is nothing "dense" about Miami for the most part. But the miles of residential towers definitely helps to put those numbers up.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The first link is 7 miles from downtown Boston. In a city thats ~13 miles long.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fina...42.2855691!3e0

None of the homes in your second link are single-family homes. Those are 2-3 family homes.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:56 AM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
Came to say this.
No, at street level, there is nothing "dense" about Miami for the most part. But the miles of residential towers definitely helps to put those numbers up.
On a much smaller scale, you can see this play out in Guttenberg, NJ, which is officially the most densely populated municipality in the US at 57K per square mile. But, this is largely because it is a small sliver of land and contains 3 massive condo towers. It doesn't actually feel particularly dense, certainly not more than Hoboken, Jersey City or Union City (which are incredibly dense, and feels like it).

Old 01-29-2021, 09:10 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You couldn’t be more misinformed than you are right now. DC benefits more than almost any city because of height limits. We build taller across our city than practically every city in America because of height limits. Philadelphia actually needs to build apartment/condo buildings in its row-house neighborhoods to match the capacity DC has because of zoning. DC is building 7-15 story buildings in all 8 wards of the city. DC won’t run out of space till it hits around 1.2 million people in 61.1 sq. miles of land. Now, if Philadelphia starts building up south and north Philly to look like Center City, then you would be right.

14,400 Units Delivered in 2-Years: DC is Nearly Halfway to Meeting 2025 Housing Production Goals
Yes, and Philadelphia has long suffered from fear of heights, density, etc. and has issues with improper zoning regulations.

Things are changing (slowly), and for the first time, there are several very large / dense projects either under construction or in the works in Lower North Philadelphia and South Philadelphia. But there needs to be a greater emphasis on multi-family / mixed-use projects outside of Center City. Initiating TOD (transit oriented legislation) would be a logical idea in areas outside of Center City, but asking city council to make logical decisions is largely a pipe dream.

But lets remember, Philadelphia could easily house 2-3M people within city limits, there are just a lot of roadblocks. But either way I am happy to see positive trends.

Here is an example of what I mean in an area outside of Center City.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The first link is 7 miles from downtown Boston. In a city thats ~13 miles long.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fina...42.2855691!3e0

None of the homes in your second link are single-family homes. Those are 2-3 family homes.
You can get a single-family home 7 miles from Tribeca too. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Trib...40.6360798!3e0

Not the best indicator of density.

Generally, there are very few single-family homes in Roxbury, Boston. If you look closely you will see either multiple entrances, multiple doorbells, or multiple entrances.

Example:
Multiple Doorbells

Multiple Mailboxes

Multiple Entrances

One house could possibly be an SFH but form the structure of it and the 2 cars in the driveway, 1 car in front of the house-it makes me believe its a 2 family, possibly with a smaller apartment in the attic.

Given the neighborhood, I seriously doubt there are more than 1 or 2 homes on Carlisle Street are SFH. Mostly because I can see 90% of them aren't, any that aren't immediately apparent they are built like multi-family housing.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:33 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

I use to live in DC for a long time. I am very familiar with the benefits with the height restrictions in terms of "spreading development".

I think overall it has led to a great deal of vibrancy in many different parts of the city, and yes it has led to a healthy amount of density.

I am not denying any of that.

My point is, that DC will meet a point in time, where the height restrictions will limit its total density potential.

Parts of NW DC with a majority of Single Family homes, are not going to see multi unit developments, and the same can be said for large portions of NE DC.

I think there has been some fantastic infill in DC over the past ten years. And DC is one of my Top 5 favorite cities in the USA.

But its density potential can only go so far.

Philadelphia is more dense than DC, and I do not see DC overtaking that, with the continued development of major high rise buildings in its core. 600 foot + residential buildings are under construction and proposed throughout the core currently.

And neighborhoods outside the core are also seeing a large insurgent of midrise multi unit buildings.

This is under construction as an example:

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200810.html

1,100 Multi Unit project just one block from the subway, outside of the Center City Core. That is simply Phase 1.

Phase 2 involves the three midrise building to the left in this link:

Post Brothers' 1,131 Unit Piazza Terminal Project is Under Construction in Northern Liberties - Rising Real Estate

All in total about 5,000 new units with just one project, all within about three blocks of one another and at the same or higher density levels than DC. And like DC this is out of the Philadelphia core and in an outlying neighborhood.

I do not see DC passing Philadelphia density. That is just my take.

If anything, I see Philadelphia passing Chicago density within the next decade.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-29-2021 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 10:54 AM

313 posts, read 336,508 times
The reincarnation of Philly 's old industrial buildings and vacant lots in N. Philly are going unnoticed for the most part but is happing all over the city of neighborhoods . See attached Naked Philly Blog Posts Archive - OCF Realty
U of P is donating 100 million $ for education for N Philly youth for high tech positions in the Bio Tech Ind. lifting thousands out of poverty and other universities are following Penn's
lead .

Old 01-29-2021, 11:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaplan View Post
The New Orleans number seems strange. I guess the significant drop since Katrina would do that though.
New Orleans is also one of those cities that consolidated with the Parish/County.

In Orleans Parish there is tons of uninhabitable land
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...=crop%2Cresize

That brown area around east New Orleans is mainly uninhabitable.
The actual Inhabitable area is probably less than a 3rd of the land area of Orleans parish. That's why the urban area shoots up when you look at the density of those habitable tracks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City