Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,161 times

Advertisements

Job opportunity comes with the choice of moving to either Tampa or Virginia Beach- any thoughts to help consider? I love the beach, prefer community with good schools/churches, prefer good dating scene (I'm female late 20's). TY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Tampa and it is not close.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:53 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinda1 View Post
Job opportunity comes with the choice of moving to either Tampa or Virginia Beach- any thoughts to help consider? I love the beach, prefer community with good schools/churches, prefer good dating scene (I'm female late 20's). TY!!
Virginia Beach is apart of the seven cities. I would choose VA Beach over Tampa because I've always liked Hampton Roads slightly better than Tampa Bay. However, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I can't speak on churches and dating, but VA Beach will have the better schools.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:33 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Tampa, hands down. More to do overall, some of the best beaches in the nation, better economy, better buying power (average annual income vs. cost of living), near Orlando and its offerings, and has some great churches and a better variety of them. Both areas have a big retiree population. But there are plenty of young people your age in the Tampa area that you shouldn't have a problem finding dating opportunities, especially in the large churches that are there and their singles groups. I do like the Tidewater Area. Our oldest son was in Sea School there when he was in the Marines and we visited there a lot. I've also vacationed there a good bit. We lived in Orlando for a year and spent tons of time in the Tampa Bay area. We all LOVED that whole region. Though I do like both the Tidewater Area and Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay's upside is noticeably bigger to me. All 4 of our adult children (25-30) would also agree.

Last edited by march2; 02-14-2021 at 04:41 AM..

Old 02-14-2021, 07:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
I live in Virginia Beach and visited Tampa for work so my knowledge of it is less extensive. If you have no ties to either city and their respective states and all other factors are equal (compensation for your job indexes to cost of living in both locations, etc) then it's an exciting choice because they're both great places.

Tampa is probably the more complete city. Larger airport means more direct flights in and out whereas in Virginia Beach Norfolk is sort of a small regional airport. Tampa's airport is pretty big.

Churches and dating scene is entirely what you'll make of it. You'll probably find both locations to offer a lot in this regard. VB has a strong military presence so that may be something to consider as you approach dating.

Beaches: I've never been to Tampa area beaches but they probably have some great ones. Virginia Beach is pretty nice too in this regard with one obvious disadvantage: it's too cold for the beach here from November through March. The water is still pretty cool in April/May but I still get in it to go kayaking during those months.

Proximity to other places: It's a wash and depends entirely on your preferences. If you like theme parks it's short drive to Orlando from Tampa. (Orlando is a pretty fun town too.) Virginia Beach is close to D.C. and the Outer Banks and as far as theme parks go there are two within a short drive (Busch Gardens, King's Dominion).

History and culture: I can't really comment on Tampa but Virgnia Beach is close to some awesome historical draws. Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement is right up the road/river from here. As well as Yorktown, where Cornwallis surrendered his forces to Washington. And colonial Williamsburg is just a really cool place.

If professional sports are important to you Tampa is the obvious choice.

I can't recommend one place over the other because I just don't know you well enough to know what really matters to you but I hope these factors help you think think through your priorities as you make your decision!

Old 02-14-2021, 08:01 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Virginia Beach would be my immediate answer, but the job market is meh. Tampa's is godo right now. However, I enjoy the Hampton Roads a looot better than anywhere in Florida.

However if you arent in a specific tech field, the Hampton Roads will be equally as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City