Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Shopping Mall In the Country
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 31 20.26%
Houston Galleria, Texas 29 18.95%
Roosevelt Field, New York 3 1.96%
Mall of America, Minnesota 52 33.99%
South Coast Plaza, California 26 16.99%
Aventura Mall, Florida 12 7.84%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 12:58 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm wonder how Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg stacks up to some of these listed? It's definitely an upper tier mall, but I'm not sure sure how it compares to the others. Even though I live in Chicago, I've not actually been inside the mall. I've passed by it several times though. Oak Brook is a pretty nice mall too, although Woodfield may be a slight tier above it in terms of size.
Having visited both Oak Brook Center and Woodfield Mall before, to me there's no doubt Woodfield is the premier mall in the Chicago area. That said, Oak Brook is still a pretty decent mall though. I do know a lot of retailers(at least the pickier ones that only have like 1 store per metro area overall) will opt to have that store at Woodfield, due to how VERY successful that mall is.

Someday I'd like to visit some of the most successful malls in other metros throughout the US, to see how they compare. I.e. Mall of America, King of Prussia, Tyson's Corner, Roosevelt Field, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I voted South Coast Plaza. Just drove past it yesterday on the 405, still a sight to behold from the outside

Old 03-19-2021, 04:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I would add why isn't Del Amo Fashion Center (Torrance, CA) on here? It's supposedly the biggest mall in the country

Scottsdale Fashion Square (Scottsdale, AZ) is quite an impressive mall as well

Old 03-19-2021, 06:12 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I would add why isn't Del Amo Fashion Center (Torrance, CA) on here? It's supposedly the biggest mall in the country

Scottsdale Fashion Square (Scottsdale, AZ) is quite an impressive mall as well
Del Amo had too many anchor shifts (like three of their anchors became Macy’s after several department store consolidations), a botched remodeling project that had half the mall looking modern and the other half looking stuck in the 1980s for awhile, - which was cool from a nostalgia standpoint, but not retail one. The addition of Nordstrom helps, but it’s also way too far from the freeways, especially for LA. It’s essentially become a neighborhood mall for that part of the South Bay. It also skews more middle class and doesn’t have a lot of luxury stores - People in Palos Verdes shop in their neighborhood mall instead of coming down to the flatlands with the hoi polloi if they can help it.

It was the largest mall in the country in the 80s after Del Amo Shopping Center and Del Amo Fashion Square were United via a bridge over Carson Blvd, but Mall of America and King of Prussia near Philly have surpassed it in size since then. Speaking of King of Prussia, it took the uniting two malls concept that Del Amo did years ago and upped it to the eleven. It has far more luxury retailers and department stores than Del Amo has (or ever did).

Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Having visited both Oak Brook Center and Woodfield Mall before, to me there's no doubt Woodfield is the premier mall in the Chicago area. That said, Oak Brook is still a pretty decent mall though. I do know a lot of retailers(at least the pickier ones that only have like 1 store per metro area overall) will opt to have that store at Woodfield, due to how VERY successful that mall is.

Someday I'd like to visit some of the most successful malls in other metros throughout the US, to see how they compare. I.e. Mall of America, King of Prussia, Tyson's Corner, Roosevelt Field, etc.
Yeah, even though I live in Chicago, I actually haven't been to Woodfield Mall in decades (when I visited family in Chicagoland). I have driven by Woodfield Mall a couple times but haven't been in, so it's hard for me to compare it to other malls. Woodfield Mall looks really nice and it has all of the major high-end stores and all common stores, so it is a very solid mall.

I'm originally from the DC area, so am very familiar with Tyson's and I've been to KOP a couple times (when living in Philly).

Woodfield is definitely not as big as KOP, and Tyson's Corner actually has 2 malls (which together, again, would be much bigger than Woodfield). So I would put it a tier below KOP, Tyson's, Mall of America, etc. It's in the next tier. I need to actually visit modern Woodfield Mall, as it's been way too long.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:07 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, even though I live in Chicago, I actually haven't been to Woodfield Mall in decades (when I visited family in Chicagoland). I have driven by Woodfield Mall a couple times but haven't been in, so it's hard for me to compare it to other malls. Woodfield Mall looks really nice and it has all of the major high-end stores and all common stores, so it is a very solid mall.

I'm originally from the DC area, so am very familiar with Tyson's and I've been to KOP a couple times (when living in Philly).

Woodfield is definitely not as big as KOP, and Tyson's Corner actually has 2 malls (which together, again, would be much bigger than Woodfield). So I would put it a tier below KOP, Tyson's, Mall of America, etc. It's in the next tier. I need to actually visit modern Woodfield Mall, as it's been way too long.
I last went to it in 2018(weirdly enough, since I was seeing a comedian at The Improv Comedy Club, which yes actually is slightly outside one of the entrances into Woodfield), and it's still a pretty nice mall to this day. A few small changes have occurred in recent years(i.e. the mall adding a food court in the Sears wing along with other mid-2010s renovations Simon did at that time, Lord and Taylor closing their anchor store, A&W Root Beer pulled out of their long time space a few years back), but I'd say that mall will be successful for a long time to come. Speaking of those mid-2010s renovations, I REALLY hated Simon removing those classic 70s elevators, since to me the new replacement elevators look more bland vs. the classic 70s Taubman designed elevators Woodfield used to have.

Thanks for comparing how big Woodfield is, vs. King of Prussia and Tyson's Corner. I didn't realize Woodfield was slightly smaller, vs. those 2 malls.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:23 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I voted South Coast Plaza. Just drove past it yesterday on the 405, still a sight to behold from the outside
It honestly reminded me of Garden State Plaza West. Or I guess you could say that GSP is South Coast Plaza East

My friend's family moved from Bergen County out to Orange County and I visited him back around '98 or so when I was in college and we went here.

The similar built environment in that immediate area with lots of retail, busy traffic everywhere, and jammed parking lot literally brought me right back home minus the Palm trees and a few other surrounding items.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Malls across America are dying.

But there are still some very high profile malls in the nation.

Which ones are the Top?

# High End Department Stores:
# High End Retailers:
Entertainment:
Largest:
Highest Sales:
Most diversified with retail:

The 6 Malls above are the highest grossing in terms of sales of indoor shopping malls in the nation from 2019 (Pre Covid).
I don't really understand the point of this thread since a lot of this is very quantitative data. Is everyone meant to compile this data themselves and then debate the best? But also, I think from a shopping experience, many of these malls are beyond outdated and dull.

I'd be much more interested in exploring which malls are doing the best job at adapting to a new consumer environment...things like creating "lifestyle centers", building on-site residential towers, retrofitting the space to have a traditional urban form, etc. instead of boxes surrounded by a sea of parking.

I really like the Grove in LA. UTC here in San Diego has done a good job remodeling. Maybe they don't have the highest sales per SF, but these are places I'd actually want to spend time out of enjoyment and not just the utility of consuming something. Even places like Las Vegas Town Square (which is a spruced up version of the boxes surrounded by parking) is a far superior experience to most of the above.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:05 PM

10,118 posts, read 1,025,087 times
Walt Whitman Mall - Huntington NY

Old 03-22-2021, 01:26 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
North park Center in Dallas is a really nice mall. Tons of high end stores (if that's your thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City