Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 03:55 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,408,966 times

Advertisements

Reston has Reston town Center & like the others has metro. The town center is modern urban village that probably is copy/paste. It’s nice for what it is though.

Strong community, I’m not sure. Maybe there are farmers markets around, but not in a downtown setting like I think you’re asking about.

Just mentioning Reston because I think everyone is going to give pretty much the same order of towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 04:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,904,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Reston has Reston town Center & like the others has metro. The town center is modern urban village that probably is copy/paste. It’s nice for what it is though.

Strong community, I’m not sure. Maybe there are farmers markets around, but not in a downtown setting like I think you’re asking about.

Just mentioning Reston because I think everyone is going to give pretty much the same order of towns.
Yeah, I really like Reston. Similar to Columbia (MD), they were both designed by Rouse as planned communities. They are both really clean and nice with nice town centers. But they get the bland suburbia hate by many.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:05 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,008,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, I really like Reston. Similar to Columbia (MD), they were both designed by Rouse as planned communities. They are both really clean and nice with nice town centers. But they get the bland suburbia hate by many.
I don't think Jim Rouse, or the Rouse Company had anything to do with Reston. Same concept as Columbia, but Robert E. Simon was the mastermind behind Reston VA. The town is named after his initials R.E.S.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:15 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,904,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't think Jim Rouse, or the Rouse Company had anything to do with Reston. Same concept as Columbia, but Robert E. Simon was the mastermind behind Reston VA. The town is named after his initials R.E.S.
Ahh ok. I think it was maybe the “planned community” concept that I may have been thinking about (which Rouse made popular).

Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,760,745 times
NoVa is not so good at creating unique places, especially outside the Beltway. If I had to live there again, I'd probably go with Alexandria. If you don't have kids in school, Alexandria can be slightly more reasonable compared to Arlington due to worse schools.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:22 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,022,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ryun View Post
It really comes down to some cool historic areas vs suburban - albeit very nice suburban.
Other than Old Town Alexandria, where are the cool, historic areas?

Old 03-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,140 posts, read 7,608,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Other than Old Town Alexandria, where are the cool, historic areas?
Mostly the exurbs like Leesburg, Fredericksburg...Manassas is a little closer than those etc. Falls Church is more of a mix than historic, but a pretty nice place to live and ahead of Fairfax City. Old Town is king though.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:58 PM

12,893 posts, read 9,635,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
These are within a few miles of one another. Just visit.
But worlds apart......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City