Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:15 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,167 times

Advertisements

From what we've read, we are more drawn to Alexandria at this point. But would like to get a better sense of the others as well.

Which of these towns/cities is more vibrant (things going on - farmers markets, festivals, etc.), has a strong community feel, is better location (easier access to other towns), least congested (traffic), safest, and most walkable with a good downtown "core"? Proximity to a hospital, vet and 24 ER vet also is a plus.

I work from home so don't have to commute but have to consider errand running, doctor/dentist/vet appointments.

How would you rank them and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 06:56 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
This should be in the Virginia forum.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:41 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Alexandria. However Arlington has a lot of different areas that check off most of your boxes. Arlington is also the most central of the 4 areas listed and you can get to many other places including DC quickly.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:58 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Alexandra meets your criteria the most.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:27 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,540,278 times
These are within a few miles of one another. Just visit.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:40 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
I’m not a fan of Fairfax or Falls Church. I really appreciate Reston. It has a really nice town center and it reminds me of Columbia but with closer access to DC. But for me it comes down to Arlington and Alexandria. I kind of like Alexandria a little better, but the metro access is not as good. I like that in Arlington you have more access to several metro stops, which is a nice amenity.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:07 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Old Town Alexandria is hard to beat but once past there it loses the village-y charm and is basic suburban. If you're able to swing it in the budget focus there in the historic district for anything and everything walkable, with the north end the most accessible. Arlington offers a while lot more of the urban village options, and would suggest (in order) Virginia Square, Clarendon, Courthouse, Ballston and Rosslyn. Virginia Square is the quietest but wedged in between high-density Ballston and high-demand Clarendon, and a very easy walk/bike/subway to both. Kind of a dark horse might be quirky Yorktown, a revived section of North Arlington that's hilly and tree-canopied with a relaxed vibe yet so close to DC or Courthouse (minutes). The restored Lee-Harrison Shopping Center has a newer Harris Teeter, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, La Moo Creamery, Peter Chang Szechuan Restaurant, Taqueria El Poblano, pie-tanza woodfired pizza, Duck Donuts, Elevation Burger, Ghin Na Ree Thai Restaurant and a Virginia ABC liquor store. There's miles of trails right there to burn all of that off too!

Last edited by kyle19125; 03-02-2021 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 04:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
From what we've read, we are more drawn to Alexandria at this point. But would like to get a better sense of the others as well.

Which of these towns/cities is more vibrant (things going on - farmers markets, festivals, etc.), has a strong community feel, is better location (easier access to other towns), least congested (traffic), safest, and most walkable with a good downtown "core"? Proximity to a hospital, vet and 24 ER vet also is a plus.

I work from home so don't have to commute but have to consider errand running, doctor/dentist/vet appointments.

How would you rank them and why?
1. Alexandria
2. Arlington (these two are totally interchangeable and based on preference really)

3. Falls Church
4. Fairfax City
5. Reston (these three are all lovely places to live and comfortable, but that's just how I'd order them)

Old 03-02-2021, 05:13 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Old Town Alexandria is hard to beat but once past there it loses the village-y charm and is basic suburban. If you're able to swing it in the budget focus there in the historic district for anything and everything walkable, with the north end the most accessible. Arlington offers a while lot more of the urban village options, and would suggest (in order) Virginia Square, Clarendon, Courthouse, Ballston and Rosslyn. Virginia Square is the quietest but wedged in between high-density Ballston and high-demand Clarendon, and a very easy walk/bike/subway to both. Kind of a dark horse might be quirky Yorktown, a revived section of North Arlington that's hilly and tree-canopied with a relaxed vibe yet so close to DC or Courthouse (minutes). The restored Lee-Harrison Shopping Center has a newer Harris Teeter, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, La Moo Creamery, Peter Chang Szechuan Restaurant, Taqueria El Poblano, pie-tanza woodfired pizza, Duck Donuts, Elevation Burger, Ghin Na Ree Thai Restaurant and a Virginia ABC liquor store. There's miles of trails right there to burn all of that off too!
Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
You definitely should post in the DMV specific forum to get more responses.

I lived in Fairfax (2011-2013) and Arlington (2013-2014). Kyle pretty much described what I remember. Old Town Alexandria is probably the best specific area, but Arlington as a whole describes a rather large area and offers a ton of various options. We lived in Courthouse but all the stops that Kyle listed have tons to do, plenty of living options, and easy access to the metro.

Falls Church, Fairfax and Reston have some nice options in specific spots, but overall are gonna be way behind the first two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City